Ambient display

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone I'm sure this topic has been asked before but just a simple question if you don't use ambient display on your phone to trying to conserve battery power, how do you tell when you get a notification? Do you hit the power button every 2 seconds just make sure you you haven't received any notifications at all?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine ambient display uses very little power, since the only part of the screen that uses power is just a few pixels lighting up for a few seconds. I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Don't cripple your phone over trivial power usage.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine ambient display uses very little power, since the only part of the screen that uses power is just a few pixels lighting up for a few seconds. I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Don't cripple your phone over trivial power usage.
That's very true too. Besides when I disable ambien display I never know when I have a new notification. Drives me nuts. I'm also trying to go into the settings apps and RAM memory stats for the apps the cached processes and clean stuff off not that my phone is running slow later sluggishly at all but one thing is I'm anal over everything and I will make sure it's running as clearly as possible.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of trivial power users do you keep your location settings on battery saving or high accuracy of Google Maps? Or do you toggle them?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of trivial power users do you keep your location settings on battery saving or high accuracy of Google Maps? Or do you toggle them?

I rarely turn on Location, except for when I'm using Maps which isn't often. I just use High Accuracy. If battery life is a problem for you, just carry a small lipstick sized charger. You'll get through the day.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I rarely turn on Location, except for when I'm using Maps which isn't often. I just use High Accuracy. If battery life is a problem for you, just carry a small lipstick sized charger. You'll get through the day.
Well I got mentioned in my other post, I just order from Amazon a quick charge 2.0 car charger from my car for when I'm GPSing. That'll help me out a lot.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and loaded up CM, so now i have my notification LED light activated :D

It can cripple battery. In my pocket, it would turn on, and then it would think I'm touching the screen, so it would try to unlock, and so on. It would do that at least once a day, I remember catching it 4 times one day.
Especially if screen brightness is at full blast :/

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and loaded up CM, so now i have my notification LED light activated :D

It can cripple battery. In my pocket, it would turn on, and then it would think I'm touching the screen, so it would try to unlock, and so on. It would do that at least once a day, I remember catching it 4 times one day.
Especially if screen brightness is at full blast :/
I got what you're saying but at the same time since you have an unlocked bootloader with CyanogenMod on it there's a problem you have to keep on reflashing image files for the new software version. Unless you're willing to do that after your phone. I would rather not have to go through that process again and do the ota update and return back down to factory stock again.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
ambient display

has anyone used active display on a moto phone? is ambient display on N6 exactly the same? if not, is the moto version better?

Posted via AC app on my X 14

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: ambient display

I prefer the active display. It's perfect for an amoled screen.

In the Pure LCD screen, the whole screen lights up.

Posted via Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I got what you're saying but at the same time since you have an unlocked bootloader with CyanogenMod on it there's a problem you have to keep on reflashing image files for the new software version. Unless you're willing to do that after your phone. I would rather not have to go through that process again and do the ota update and return back down to factory stock again.

Are you talking about for the nightlies? I could stop downloading nightlies any day I wanted; the one released yesterday is stable enough to use as a daily runner.
Tomorrow I think I'm gonna load up Marshmallow. Imma lock the bootloader again so I can just get OTAs. I don't want to have to manually flash each update because Marshmallow only just released and bugs and such........
CM is fine though. I thoroughly enjoyed using it. With all of its fancy features and such. I hope the people at Cyanogen can get CM13 up and running soon so I can flash it :)
Maybe Marshmallow enables the LED light on the N6? I guess I'll see tomorrow :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Correct... AD uses very little overall power (unless you are picking the phone up a million times that is). Not only does it save some juice by firing up only a small percentage of the screen when Ambient Display goes active, it uses next to no power when your screen is off... it utilizes low-power modes in the SoC and kernel, so it uses next to no power to run.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: ambient display

Well.. Moto Display is more functional... It's a fully interactive notification interface. Ambient Display is more like a fancy notification light... to give you a quick glance as to what is currently going on. As soon as you touch the screen, you shift into the standard lockscreen (where you can launch the notification's app, dismiss, etc). Ambient Display lacks the bells and whistles of Moto Display, but I still find it incredibly useful. Take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up off the table and it fires.

But.... one thing is that you can't compare and contrast both on the same phone. :) They are exclusive to their respective models.

Though, if you are on a different phone, there's always acDisplay.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Correct... AD uses very little overall power (unless you are picking the phone up a million times that is). Not only does it save some juice by firing up only a small percentage of the screen when Ambient Display goes active, it uses next to no power when your screen is off... it utilizes low-power modes in the SoC and kernel, so it uses next to no power to run.
Hey thanks for the response. I have been using it regardless, but thanks for responding anyways.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I like to turn ambient display on and off depending on what I'm doing. I've had it turn on in my pocked multiple times, so I usually turn it off when not needed. I wish someone made a widget for a quick toggle or something.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I like to turn ambient display on and off depending on what I'm doing. I've had it turn on in my pocked multiple times, so I usually turn it off when not needed. I wish someone made a widget for a quick toggle or something.
I just holster my phone, so for me, its not a problem whatsoever.