Location settings and Google maps

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Usually I keep my Nexus 6 location settings on battery saving mode vs high accuracy due to the increased battery life and to prevent the phone from pinging for GPS coordinates from satellites every few minutes. However, I've botched that when I go to use Google Maps sometimes, more often than not, it takes a few minutes for Google Maps to actually lock in for directions, and coordinates. Is this normal? I'd rather not keep it on high accuracy mode since I don't want to burn through any more battery power than I have to. What does everyone else here think?

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Usually I keep my Nexus 6 location settings on battery saving mode vs high accuracy due to the increased battery life and to prevent the phone from pinging for GPS coordinates from satellites every few minutes. However, I've botched that when I go to use Google Maps sometimes, more often than not, it takes a few minutes for Google Maps to actually lock in for directions, and coordinates. Is this normal? I'd rather not keep it on high accuracy mode since I don't want to burn through any more battery power than I have to. What does everyone else here think?
Personally, I tend to leave my phone on High Accuracy mode since I tend to use Google Maps frequently.

When I try to use the Low Accuracy mode, the Google Maps app tends to complain.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I tend to leave my phone on High Accuracy mode since I tend to use Google Maps frequently.

Oh yes exactly! When I turn on the battery saving mode, and then I go into Google Maps and load up a destination, and then it says do I want to use high accuracy mode, and I say yes. At that point more times than not, Google Maps fail to lock in coordinates for GPS and it takes it either a few seconds or up to a few minutes for to work. And sometimes welcome and abusing my girlfriends iPhone which is annoying lol

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
GPS lock can take a few seconds - not just in phones, but even in dedicated GPS units. Usually it is pretty quick (a few seconds), but under cloudy skies or in buildings, it will take longer.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
GPS lock can take a few seconds - not just in phones, but even in dedicated GPS units. Usually it is pretty quick (a few seconds), but under cloudy skies or in buildings, it will take longer.
I don't know, all I know is that I would love you getting somewhere with my phone on Valentines out with my girlfriend or something I especially planned of course for us and my Google Maps took like 10 minutes for the lock in GPS. Almost to the point of it being unacceptable but I have patience like I always do but that's why I'm talking about it now. I mean I try to keep in battery saving mode, if I can for obvious reasons. But it messes up functionality when I need it the most. And when we talk about killer apps on our phones and devices that we use, Google Maps for me, is it!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Same with myself,I leave on high accuracy mode. I dont use maps everyday but just prefer to leave on high accuracy as my default setting .
I would consider myself an Medium User with phone usage

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Same with myself,I leave on high accuracy mode. I dont use maps everyday but just prefer to leave on high accuracy as my default setting .
I would consider myself an Medium User with phone usage
I just heard that if the phone pings off satellites and the cellular networks and eats up a lot more better than if its on battery saving mode.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I just heard that if the phone pings off satellites and the cellular networks and eats up a lot more better than if its on battery saving mode.
True, but that would be only when an app actively requests your current location with high accuracy - which really should be almost never (unless you are using navigation, or other apps that really need your accurate location.
In the past, Google Play services/location services would use the GPS a little too much, and cause battery drain, but I'm told that it has become almost un-noticeable now. I keep it in battery saving mode, and when I need Nav, I am prompted to enable high accuracy, and I disable high accuracy after I'm done with nav

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
True, but that would be only when an app actively requests your current location with high accuracy - which really should be almost never (unless you are using navigation, or other apps that really need your accurate location.
In the past, Google Play services/location services would use the GPS a little too much, and cause battery drain, but I'm told that it has become almost un-noticeable now. I keep it in battery saving mode, and when I need Nav, I am prompted to enable high accuracy, and I disable high accuracy after I'm done with nav
Okay, so what you are telling me that you're essentially do the same thing I do lol. I think I'm going to stick with that because it makes the most sense. And you're right, usually in the past it's the Google Play services then Google Search app with Google now cards that turn on location services, and eats up the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress