[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

never mind I got the Superboot r3 off one of the links you posted on the first page and it worked. didnt want to get off the stock recovery so this worked perfectly thanks!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm gonna update the thread today to the r3 super boot as well as adding in the recovery section ... sorry for the delay :)

Reactions: Edwill86

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

ROM Manager is not needed. In fact, I would stay away from it until we get an official version of Clockwork.

Download the free app Quick Boot, and you can use it to easily boot into Recovery.

To backup, in Clockwork go to backup/restore>backup
To flash a ROM, put the zip on your SD card and in Clockwork go to install zip from SD>choose file>then select your zip. Make sure to follow any extra directions the maker of the ROM gives you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I'm still getting the Android flat on his back with a Red Exclamation mark, both times with I tried using the App to Boot into Recovery and manually powering down the device with Volume Down and Power...

Am I doing something wrong?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm still getting the Android flat on his back with a Red Exclamation mark, both times with I tried using the App to Boot into Recovery and manually powering down the device with Volume Down and Power...

You don't have ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Did you attempt to install it?

Reactions: zero neck

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Kudos Zero.. had to install the Naked Drivers on my Windows system just now to get adb to work... took all of 5 seconds following your instructions :) Nice job!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

updated post 3 for recovery, looking for stock recovery file so i can write a how to undo it part :)

duh it was in the nakasi boot img zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

if you flashed an early version of recovery and didnt remove/rename the stock recovery file, you will need to flash recovery each time you want to boot into it.

The latest (6.0.0.6) version of cwm automatically prevents the overwrite. If you're rooted, like i imagine you are, you can follow my new directions in post three to get recovery locked in, or i posted directions a page or so back to prevent the stock overwrite if you prefer.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

done... thanks!

I can see not waiting around for OTA for my VZ Gnex... but the Nexus 7 should be pretty updated from Google...

I wanted a custom recovery just to back-up and restore... I guess I'll flash when ROMs come out...

thanks again...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Yeah there's not a whole lot of ROMs yet. Im using modacos and its fine but it'll be interesting to see what comes out in the near future

kendallc123

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recover

Hey guys, I'm getting my N7 tomorrow and just want to get everything ready. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and have downloaded the superboot file twice and when I check the md5 file in terminal it comes up as this

9b84c00e0b07a065b6cb9892389a9efa

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys, I'm getting my N7 tomorrow and just want to get everything ready. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and have downloaded the superboot file twice and when I check the md5 file in terminal it comes up as this

9b84c00e0b07a065b6cb9892389a9efa

my bad! i updated the superboot file and didnt update the md5 :)

i believe that's correct for the r3 superboot but let me update the op and check the md5 for ya..

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

i have tried this several times on my mac. I have unlocked the boot loader, but cannot get root access. I have followed the directions

When i try to root, everything appears to be working, untill the device reboots itself and i try to open titanium backup and it says i do not have root access.

What could be going wrong? I have redownloaded the zip file and checked the md5 with no luck

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

i have tried this several times on my mac. I have unlocked the boot loader, but cannot get root access. I have followed the directions

When i try to root, everything appears to be working, untill the device reboots itself and i try to open titanium backup and it says i do not have root access.

What could be going wrong? I have redownloaded the zip file and checked the md5 with no luck
I would try it again, it can be finnicky sometimes.
Or,
I can give ya alternate directions tomorrow , that might work, otherwise I would restore to factory thru defs guide and try again.

Reactions: stinkyfischer

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Like I said I tried this several times (prob 10)

But I tried it again this morning. Re downlading the superboot zip and ran commands again.....

I now have root Access.

Thanks

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Can't install drivers

Hi,

When attempting to install the driver, I get the error message "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog. ..."

I have also tried the PDANet route, but without success.

I am running 64-bit Windows 8, and I understand that Windows 64 has not played nicely with some drivers. Rather than seeking out another computer (outside the home) right now, I wonder if anyone here have suggestions.

Thanks.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

There's a post in this thread with a link to a site that has numerous drivers you can try. Let me see if I can find it..

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't install drivers

Hi,

When attempting to install the driver, I get the error message "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog. ..."

I have also tried the PDANet route, but without success.

I am running 64-bit Windows 8, and I understand that Windows 64 has not played nicely with some drivers. Rather than seeking out another computer (outside the home) right now, I wonder if anyone here have suggestions.

Thanks.

here ya go there's several drivers in here, you can try them out not sure which if any will work but it's worth a shot right

http://androidforums.com/internatio...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#usb-drivers

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't install drivers

here ya go there's several drivers in here, you can try them out not sure which if any will work but it's worth a shot right

http://androidforums.com/internatio...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#usb-drivers

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I tried a couple of other drivers, without success. I couldn't wait any longer, and just installed Windows 7 32bit on a separate partition on my computer, used the method in your first post, and everything work fine. So the problem was either with Windows 8 (*beta*) or the 64bit version.

OT: I need Windows 7 on my computer anyways, since the W8 beta is not real stable, and the W8 Metro interface doesn't work well on a non-touch machine.