[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa11

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
hi new android user i am stuck... i jsut can't get past the step where you flash recovery clockwork.img because i get a message saying there are too many links... i am just totally illiterate in these jargons and i am just @-@ SOS!

p.s. btw i deleted a folder called macox since in the video he didn't have that... could that be the problem?

Last edited:

jpa11

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
i replaced the c drive nexus 7 folder with the newly unlocked one and now fastboot is not even being recognized in cmd! omg i need a desperate help please!

it now says fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i replaced the c drive nexus 7 folder with the newly unlocked one and now fastboot is not even being recognized in cmd! omg i need a desperate help please!

it now says fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Start over from the very beginning. When you run into a problem, post a screen shot of it and describe what step you were on when the problem happened.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: 2defmouze

jpa11

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
hi thanks for your reply.
how do i start over again? do i need to lock what is unlocked and then start again?
sry i may sound really dumb but i first touched my android device today...

bLoOdAnDBoNe

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys how you doing, liking the look of this forum looks really positive,

Anyway i am rather new to the android experience as i been a jailbreaker on iOS for several years and i have been trying to read through the thread but i have a few questions before i try to root the N7;
If things turn out nonsuccessive, how does one do a restore of the device? I have read through people discussed a flash recovery but how would that be done?
And are you still able to received updates from android while the device is rooted?
Cheers

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
hi thanks for your reply.
how do i start over again? do i need to lock what is unlocked and then start again?
sry i may sound really dumb but i first touched my android device today...

You don't have to lock it again, but follow the video again from the beginning and follow the steps very closely.

Hey guys how you doing, liking the look of this forum looks really positive,

Anyway i am rather new to the android experience as i been a jailbreaker on iOS for several years and i have been trying to read through the thread but i have a few questions before i try to root the N7;
If things turn out nonsuccessive, how does one do a restore of the device? I have read through people discussed a flash recovery but how would that be done?
And are you still able to received updates from android while the device is rooted?
Cheers

Restore to stock: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=191477

Rooting doesn't affect updates, only custom recovery (Clockwork) does.

Sent from my Nexus 7

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
hi do you mean actually deleting the driver from device mangers and starting over from the way beginning?

If your device is recognized when you type "fastboot devices" into Windows command prompt while your tablet is connected and in bootloader mode, you can skip that part if your wish.

Sent from my Nexus 7

climo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Quick question about the guide. Do we need to enable usb debugging before we start this procedure? I noticed some guides suggest to enable debugging but there is no mention of this using this method. I just want to be sure before i start.
Looking forward to learning more by doing it manually. Thanks for the guide!

Sorry found the answer a few post up. Carry on with real questions!

Last edited:

bLoOdAnDBoNe

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, i have gone ahead and rooted my N7, very happy ~ Had the issue where supersu did not mount but i followed trouble shoot steps and was able to work.
Cheers for everyones input:)

dickda1

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The advice from Paladin worked wonderfully well for me - nexus 7 now unlocked.:)
-Dick
"Second I also had the issue of the N7 not seeing the "SD card" and when i did I did not see the supersu.zip file to install, "

So this will fix both. Just restart the N7 and boot it as normal from the recovery screen.

Let it mount a USB drive, it will be called Nexus 7 in the My Computer list of devices and the drive will be called Internal Storage.

Copy the c:\nexus7\supersu.zip file to this N7 drive. Just stick it in the root along with the folder, Android, DCIM etc...

Then shut down the N7, hold power and Vol down and go from there to install supersu.zip. After I coped the file there manually I could then see the SD card and install it."

Reactions: zero neck

EquiPro

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
OK. I really want to root my new Nexus 7, but I'm scared to do so. I'm pretty competent with computers, but I didn't even know about rooting until 2 days ago when I realized that I really need to do this in order to do some things with the Nexus that I want to do. I don't know what all of these terms are, and I'm very worried that I could brick my tab. I'm running Windows 7 and I'm very good at following directions. I've been able to do a lot of things on my computer by following videos that I never thought I could do. Should I just jump right in, even though I don't know what "boatloader", "OTA", "Clockwork", etc. are?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK. I really want to root my new Nexus 7, but I'm scared to do so. I'm pretty competent with computers, but I didn't even know about rooting until 2 days ago when I realized that I really need to do this in order to do some things with the Nexus that I want to do. I don't know what all of these terms are, and I'm very worried that I could brick my tab. I'm running Windows 7 and I'm very good at following directions. I've been able to do a lot of things on my computer by following videos that I never thought I could do. Should I just jump right in, even though I don't know what "boatloader", "OTA", "Clockwork", etc. are?

Between the Video you have here and the spelled out instructions you have in Zero Neck's thread, you should be fine. Another great guide I very much recommend reading is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ont-panic-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-nexus.html

Just about all the concepts and stuff explained there are applicable to the Nexus 7 as well.

Remember there is no reason to be scared.. A Nexus device is pretty much unbreakable, and you can always restore the factory images and lock it up again if you need to. As long as you read and prepare yourself you should be pleasantly surprised at how easy the process is :)

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
well i dont know what i did wrong. i followed instructions well but now i adb reboot recovery, there the android dude with a red triangle. its scary. my first problem was i couldnt find supersu in the sd card. did i just break this thing? greaat. i cant even get off this screen. help

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
well i dont know what i did wrong. i followed instructions well but now i adb reboot recovery, there the android dude with a red triangle. its scary. my first problem was i couldnt find supersu in the sd card. did i just break this thing? greaat. i cant even get off this screen. help

That's the stock recovery screen. You did not successfully flash Clockwork - try flashing Clockwork again.

Sent from my Nexus 7

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay I did it. I was worried for a second. We need to give ragnarokx a golf clap for actually helping and replying to his thread. I know some people who never update or reply to peoples problems. Thanks man. Now what you should do is how to unroot just for fun. Then you will be a complete Bamf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay I did it. I was worried for a second. We need to give ragnarokx a golf clap for actually helping and replying to his thread. I know some people who never update or reply to peoples problems. Thanks man. Now what you should do is how to unroot just for fun. Then you will be a complete Bamf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze actually has an awesome return to stock thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=191477

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: 2defmouze
Status
Not open for further replies.