[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

What is this sdk stuff? I've never seen it before. Do i really need it? Your video confused the crap outta me but its not bad

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Lol... not my video, but I thought it was pretty easy to follow. The Android SDK is typically what you install and setup in order to get adb and fastboot commands working on your computer.. but its not crucial. The downloads available in the 2 unlocking threads we have ought to supply you with the adb and fastboot exe files which are all you really need to get through this..

anon(895355)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Lordy, Lordy! Am I ever glad that I came across the exchange that hollip3020 had with 2defmouze that ended with hollip plugging his puppy into a USB port on the rump end of the PC. I did it under Ubuntu 12.04, and, just as happened to hollip3020, the process hung forever at the point of updating the image-nakasi-jro03d.zip file. A gentle swing with a five pound hand sledge to separate the Nexus 7 from the Asus EB-1501B, followed by switching to a hind side USB port allowed the un-bricking to proceed successfully.

Thanks YoozGuyz

Reactions: 2defmouze

khol91

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I've tried everything suggested but I still get a system write failed message

C:\Nexus>fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jro03d.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 3.34
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: 015d2bc2602c0c09
checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
sending 'boot' (4890 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (438656 KB)... OKAY
writing 'system'... FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything suggested but I still get a system write failed message

C:\Nexus>fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jro03d.zip
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: 015d2bc2602c0c09
checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
sending 'boot' (4890 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (438656 KB)... OKAY
writing 'system'... FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

See a few posts ago where I had someone unzip that main image file and do them all manually. Additionally if only the system part is failing then that's all you need to send (but you should do them all in the same session). Also check the md5 checksum for good measure to make sure you didn't get a bad download. The md5 is posted on the Google sight and you can find many small, free programs to check the md5 by doing a quick Google search.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the guide 2def. Gotta get my booty in gear to restore. But like I said earlier. Priorities. Ha ha.

FissionMailed from Paranoid S3

hituindadome

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

hi I am having a problem and I need to return to stock. when i try this guide i cannot erase cache or userdata. It doesnt give me an error but it just wont finish the process. I tried to use wugfreshs root toolkit to return back but this program also gets hung up when it attempt to erase userdata. I am absolutely stuck, I do not know what to do. If you have any guidance you can offer me please do.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

hi I am having a problem and I need to return to stock. when i try this guide i cannot erase cache or userdata. It doesnt give me an error but it just wont finish the process. I tried to use wugfreshs root toolkit to return back but this program also gets hung up when it attempt to erase userdata. I am absolutely stuck, I do not know what to do. If you have any guidance you can offer me please do.

Read through the thread.. as similar problems have shown up that we were able to work around. And try again if its just erroring out, sometimes that will help.

If you still can't get it done, try and be specific about exactly where you are in the process and the exact error message you are getting. Also include what OS you are on. I'll be around to help :)

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Great guide and very helpful. However, I have completed the steps several times (and tried just about everything that I can possibly think of) and I get stuck at the Nexus "X" screen. I completely wiped the device, tried older factory images, tried to do a factory reset through TWRP, did several battery pulls, let it sit for several hours after flashing the factory image, changed USB ports, flashed all of the files separately (instead of the zip file), etc. I can boot into fastboot and successfully write all of the files to the Nexus (in other words, there are no problems with writing the system, userdata, recovery, and boot images). I can even lock and unlock the tablet with no problems. I have tried the toolkits but they are saying that the device isn't recognized (probably because I can't get into the developer options to turn on usb debugging). This isn't that big of deal though because I can do everything that they do through the command lines. I am completely stuck! Could this be a hardware issue? I just don't get how it gets stuck at the X screen (and it doesn't bootloop through the google splash screen). Any ideas?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Great guide and very helpful. However, I have completed the steps several times (and tried just about everything that I can possibly think of) and I get stuck at the Nexus "X" screen. I completely wiped the device, tried older factory images, tried to do a factory reset through TWRP, did several battery pulls, let it sit for several hours after flashing the factory image, changed USB ports, flashed all of the files separately (instead of the zip file), etc. I can boot into fastboot and successfully write all of the files to the Nexus (in other words, there are no problems with writing the system, userdata, recovery, and boot images). I can even lock and unlock the tablet with no problems. I have tried the toolkits but they are saying that the device isn't recognized (probably because I can't get into the developer options to turn on usb debugging). This isn't that big of deal though because I can do everything that they do through the command lines. I am completely stuck! Could this be a hardware issue? I just don't get how it gets stuck at the X screen (and it doesn't bootloop through the google splash screen). Any ideas?

After you finish the process in fastboot and the device begins to reboot... immediately unplug it from the computer and sit patiently. See if giving it at least 5-10 minutes makes a difference. Also check the md5 checksum of the image you downloaded and make sure it matches what is given for the file on Google's site :)

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the quick advice! I checked the md5 and it matches. I actually downloaded the image from google's site so it should be fine. I tried to unplug it immediately and have been letting it sit for about 30 minutes now, but it still just hangs on the nexus X screen. Any other ideas? I am still at a loss. I feel that if it is able to write files and start booting that it isn't totally borked, but I just don't know why it doesn't actually boot. Do you know if the "flash-all.sh" and "flash-base.sh" files do anything? They are included in the .tgz package from google.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the quick advice! I checked the md5 and it matches. I actually downloaded the image from google's site so it should be fine. I tried to unplug it immediately and have been letting it sit for about 30 minutes now, but it still just hangs on the nexus X screen. Any other ideas? I am still at a loss. I feel that if it is able to write files and start booting that it isn't totally borked, but I just don't know why it doesn't actually boot. Do you know if the "flash-all.sh" and "flash-base.sh" files do anything? They are included in the .tgz package from google.

Don't worry about those files.. they are used by the scripts. Also checking the md5 is good even if you got it from Google's site, you never know if a download can just get corrupted on its own. And no, your device is definitely not borked by any stretch of the imagination, so get that thought out of your head :)

Definitely shouldn't be taking that long to boot up. Try holding the power button down until it turns off / reboots again. Might just need a "jump start" if it got hung up the first time.

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

No dice. Tried to do the hard reboot a few times and it just hangs on the X. I am really beginning to hate that X! I am sure that I am missing something that I could do, but I am not quite sure what it is. Before each attempt, I wipe everything using the command lines so I don't forget anything, then I go through everything step by step. I have a back-up image on my laptop made through cwm, but I am not sure how I would go about pushing that to the device. Would it make sense to install cwm and try to restore it that way? If so, I guess I would just need to know how to push the files to the tablet. Hmmmm.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

No dice. Tried to do the hard reboot a few times and it just hangs on the X. I am really beginning to hate that X! I am sure that I am missing something that I could do, but I am not quite sure what it is. Before each attempt, I wipe everything using the command lines so I don't forget anything, then I go through everything step by step. I have a back-up image on my laptop made through cwm, but I am not sure how I would go about pushing that to the device. Would it make sense to install cwm and try to restore it that way? If so, I guess I would just need to know how to push the files to the tablet. Hmmmm.

Yes you could do that. From the bootloader screen you'd first boot into the CWM image using:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img

Make sure you use the same CWM version you made the backup with, of course.

Once booted into recovery you can use adb to push the backup to your phone:
Code:
adb push nameofbackup /sdcard/Clockworkmod/

Its peculiar that its not letting your boot happen though on its own. You manually erased all of the partitions using Step 6 in the guide you say?

- - - Updated - - -

Also double-check that you used the appropriate image-flash command... Step 8 had to be edited just now as I missed changing it to reflect the image-nakasi-jro03d.zip change....

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Just realized that I can't push the recovery file because ADB isn't enabled (can't get in to enable USB debugging). I did flash cwm and go through and format all of the mounted drives and wiped everything again, but same result. I am flashing the most recent image (nakasi-jro03d.zip) and erasing all of the partitions like you mentioned.

This last time it did boot loop three times (google screen-X, google screen-X, google screen) but then it just hung on the X again (30 minutes later it is still there...). I think on previous tries it would only do it twice and then hang.

I don't think it could be the memory because it is allowing things to be written and run (e.g., cwm). All of the hardware seems fine...hopefully we can figure this one out! Thanks again for your help.

Update: That was weird, I just unplugged it and in really small letters in upper left of the screen it said "show low battery icon" or something like that (it disappeared before I could read it). Not sure why it just didn't show the icon!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Just realized that I can't push the recovery file because ADB isn't enabled (can't get in to enable USB debugging). I did flash cwm and go through and format all of the mounted drives and wiped everything again, but same result. I am flashing the most recent image (nakasi-jro03d.zip) and erasing all of the partitions like you mentioned.

This last time it did boot loop three times (google screen-X, google screen-X, google screen) but then it just hung on the X again (30 minutes later it is still there...). I think on previous tries it would only do it twice and then hang.

I don't think it could be the memory because it is allowing things to be written and run (e.g., cwm). All of the hardware seems fine...hopefully we can figure this one out! Thanks again for your help.

Update: That was weird, I just unplugged it and in really small letters in upper left of the screen it said "show low battery icon" or something like that (it disappeared before I could read it). Not sure why it just didn't show the icon!

See the bolded part... wiping "all the drives" in recovery, I'm assuming included the system, which is definitely going to give you a bowl of bootloops since the system partition in your ROM / OS.

We want to get everything pushed to the device via fastboot and have it boot up. When you are following the guide and using the commands to flash the factory image.. you are sure every step is completing without an error?

I'd like you to try it again skipping Step 6 this time (the erase partitions step). If it still isn't going to boot try Wug's Nexus Toolkit again and keep note of any error messages you see at all times.

We'll get this sucker working! :)

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Tried again skipping Step 6, but same result (hung at X). Before this most recent attempt, I would erase everything, including the system. I am sure that I am typing the commands right and it looks like everything is actually working until it tries to boot. Here is what I get after I flash the image (I am not including the time in brackets):

--------------------------------------------------------
Baseband Version....: N/A
Serial Number...........:xxxxxxxxxx (it actually has my number)
checking product...OKAY
checking version-bootloader...OKAY
sending 'boot'...OKAY
writing 'boot'...OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)...OKAY
writing 'recovery'...OKAY
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...OKAY
writing 'system'...OKAY
erasing 'userdata'...OKAY
erasing 'cache'...OKAY
rebooting...
finished. total time: 82.310s.

When this didn't work I tried using Wug's Toolkit again. I have to tell it that that the tablet won't turn on, otherwise it tries to use ADB, which is impossible given that I can't turn on USB debugging. It goes all of the way through the process and then says "Booting up your freshly flashed stock device..." It says to wait 5-10 minutes, etc. However, the X has now been up for the past 30 minutes again!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Tried again skipping Step 6, but same result (hung at X). Before this most recent attempt, I would erase everything, including the system. I am sure that I am typing the commands right and it looks like everything is actually working until it tries to boot. Here is what I get after I flash the image (I am not including the time in brackets):

Baseband Version....: N/A
Serial Number...........:xxxxxxxxxx (it actually has my number)
checking product...OKAY
checking version-bootloader...OKAY
sending 'boot'...OKAY
writing 'boot'...OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)...OKAY
writing 'recovery'...OKAY
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...OKAY
writing 'system'...OKAY
erasing 'userdata'...OKAY
erasing 'cache'...OKAY
rebooting...
finished. total time: 82.310s.

When this didn't work I tried using Wug's Toolkit again. I have to tell it that that the tablet won't turn on, otherwise it tries to use ADB, which is impossible given that I can't turn on USB debugging. It goes all of the way through the process and then says "Booting up your freshly flashed stock device..." It says to wait 5-10 minutes, etc. However, the X has now been up for the past 30 minutes again!

Hmm. Really not sure what could be going on here. As soon as the process finishes and begins rebooting are you leaving it plugged in or unplugging it? I believe you should unplug it right away but obviously try both ways.

Don't know what else to look for here.. but don't panic.. I'll ask around some of the higher tech-heads and see if we can figure this out. Will get back to you soon as I can. Just to check what OS are you on, Windows 7?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty