Bricked after installing Clemsyn's Elite Kernel

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am in a very stressful situation right now. Sorry if there is another thread that might answer my question, but I am very desperate. I just installed Clemsyn's Elite Kernel to my Nexus 7 which is running 4.2.1. I was stuck on the boot animation for a long time, and then the screen cut out. I cannot boot it up, and I am very scared. I am really new to rooting in general, so I would really appreciate some help. Should I just restore the factory image onto my Nexus 7? Is my Nexus 7 fried permanently?
I hope you all can understand the stress I am going through, and I would love it if you guys could help me bring my poor Nexus 7 back to life!
Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible while it was hung on the boot animation for that period of time your battery drained and shut down? I know that sounds crazy but during the boot stage its one of the most processor intensive times of any device loading up all the firmware and apps.

I would set it on the charger, try starting it up after a while and see if you can boot into your bootloader/recovery and go from there.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I think that actually could have been what happened, because once I connected my Nexus 7 I was able to get into the bootloader.
I then restored the factory image and my Nexus 7 has been resurrected!
Thank you so much for your help!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed.. Here's info for future reference: The stock kernel itself is inside the factory image, it is the file called "boot.img". From the bootloader you could have flashed just that file, replacing whatever kernel was not booting for you, using:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

That way you wouldn't have to do a whole factory image restore and lose all your data, etc. Just something to know going forward :)
As long as you can get to the bootloader, don't panic, you can always fix a Nexus device.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed.. Here's info for future reference: The stock kernel itself is inside the factory image, it is the file called "boot.img". From the bootloader you could have flashed just that file, replacing whatever kernel was not booting for you, using:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

That way you wouldn't have to do a whole factory image restore and lose all your data, etc. Just something to know going forward :)
As long as you can get to the bootloader, don't panic, you can always fix a Nexus device.

Thanks, so that means if something goes wrong in the future concerning kernels, I can just flash the stock kernel to fix it? Am I correct in assuming I could just drag and drop "boot.img" using Android File Transfer then going into CWM and installing it from there? If so, that would make me much less hesitant to try out different kernels!
Thanks 2defmouze, I really appreciate all the tutorials you have created and all the help you have given me.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, so that means if something goes wrong in the future concerning kernels, I can just flash the stock kernel to fix it? Am I correct in assuming I could just drag and drop "boot.img" using Android File Transfer then going into CWM and installing it from there? If so, that would make me much less hesitant to try out different kernels!
Thanks 2defmouze, I really appreciate all the tutorials you have created (how to root the Nexus 7, how to restore to factory image, etc.) and all the help you have given me.

The boot.img has to be flashed via fastboot (the bootloader) using the command I gave above.. Only zips can be flashed in recovery. And yeah you can do that anytime you have a kernel issue and want to return to the stock one.

And your welcome :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Devin Racelis

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Another thing you can do is download a kernel you know works (like the stock kernel) as a flashable zip. If you flash it and things go awry, you can just reboot into recovery, reflash the kernel, and you're back in business. That's my method when I'm trying out new kernels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa