Rooted but now what to do?

TheStanger

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. So I like to tinker and even though I didn't really have much reason to root I did it last night anyways just because I like a challenge. It took me a bit to figure out all the steps (this is my 1st Android experience) but I eventually got it figured and got it rooted.

I have been trying to find out what I can do now (custom roms, overclock, etc) but I am getting somewhat confused with the overabundance of info out there. Can someone point me to a dummies guide, if such exists, for different rooting activities?

Thanks!

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
install TWRP recovery > make a backup of your stock rom.

once you find a rom you want to flash (i prefer Dirty AOKP 3.5), download it. Reboot to recovery> Wipe:factory reset> install rom

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One good suggestion now that your rooted is downloading and installing either Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root. Using either one of these applications you can make individual or full backups of your applications & the associated data/settings with them. This way you do decide to start checking out different ROMs you have all your important apps/data saved to restore and use once you switch ROMs ;)

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Step 1 Root device. This gives you full control over system files and device
Step 2 Install Custom Recovery. This allows you to install custom Roms and flash zip files

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

To the poster above, what is Custom Recovery? Is it an app?

TWRP and ClockworkMod are the two biggest recovery programs. Im new to rooting myself, so I dont know how to install by itself because when i rooted I used a Toolket from xda developers and it installed ClockworkMod Recovery for me during the root process.

Rom Manager (search in Play Store) is an app you want and can reboot recoveries made by ClockworkMod. Both programs were made by the same developer.

Hopefully this helped alittle and a more knowledgeble member can add to this.

EDIT:

A custom recovery will take a "snapshot" of your entire system before flashing a ROM, file, etc, so that way if something goes wrong, your just restore the backup and no harm is done. I belieive its called a "nandroid" backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa