Does the N7 have SBC (Smart Battery Charge) baked into the kernel

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does the N7 have SBC (Smart Battery Charge) baked into the ke

Most model LiOn's do so I would be 90% sure they do. Given how LiOn's can explode if not charged properly we may bump that up even higher. Often the battery management is on a separate circuit from the rest of the unit to prevent tampering with it. Meaning we can't really see it or adjust it. There are battery management apps but I think they are just a waste of resources.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Most model LiOn's do so I would be 90% sure they do. Given how LiOn's can explode if not charged properly we may bump that up even higher. Often the battery management is on a separate circuit from the rest of the unit to prevent tampering with it. Meaning we can't really see it or adjust it. There are battery management apps but I think they are just a waste of resources.

So I thought that the HTC Evo 4g has a LiOn battery but doesn't have SBC stock... when I plug it in overnight it starts to discharge after finishing the charge... when I use it in the morning it goes from 100% to ~90% very quickly.. SBC is a feature that you get by flashing a 3rd party kernel or so I understood...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does the N7 have SBC (Smart Battery Charge) baked into the ke

So I thought that the HTC Evo 4g has a LiOn battery but doesn't have SBC stock... when I plug it in overnight it starts to discharge after finishing the charge... when I use it in the morning it goes from 100% to ~90% very quickly.. SBC is a feature that you get by flashing a 3rd party kernel or so I understood...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Do you have a link to some information about this SBC thing because everything I find leads to stuff like this:

http://www.mrsolar.com/pdf/Magnum/Magnum ME-SBC.pdf

FYI: No phone has any internal circuitry for battery charging. All Lithium-ion batteries have the charger circuit within the battery itself. Which is really just a limiter to avoid over-charge. Hence why your phone starts to discharge after reaching full. These are not Ni-cad batteries where you continue to trickle charge them. Most "Smart Chargers" wait till the battery hits about 95%-97% and then charges it back up to 100%.

Good Lithium-ion batteries lose about 1%-2% per day. So it is just fine to pull a battery from a charger with only 98% if you left it on the charger long after it was done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non