File transfer with Galaxy S III?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Google's got me looking at Android tablets again. But then they go disabling USB OTG unless you root. And have a penchant for not offering external SD cards (you're not Apple!).

So is there any way to easily transfer files between my Galaxy SIII and a Nexus 7? I figure with 80GB on my GS3 and with OTG working fine, I could use it as the file store and move files on and off the Nexus 7 as needed. But only if I could do it easily and on the go, at will.

Anyone get anything working? Found one thread showing the NFC stuff isn't working and another where the Nexus 7 doesn't support Ad Hoc wifi, so it's not too promising so far.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm that is a possibility I hadnt considered but I was hoping to keep things local. For one, to save on my bandwidth quota and also for cases when I don't have LTE or can't upload to the cloud.

Colonel Kernel

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for the same solution and I specifically don't want to use a cloud service. Although I need to transfer between my GS3 and my dual-booting, CM9ed TouchPad.

For one, security: the files I'm moving are too sensitive to trust to middlemen. And second, it's dumb; if both devices connect to the internet via Wi-Fi they should be able to connect to eachother. And third, I want to do this whereever I am without hunting down a Wi-Fi connection for the TouchPad.

Creepingdeath

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: File transfer with Galaxy S3?

I was able to move files from my Samsung Fascinate to the N7 using File Expert. I went to Share My Contents in File Expert and then used Start Share via FTP on the Fascinate. On the N7, I went to Network and then FTP Client. Worked perfect for moving files. I don't know about streaming music or video yet. Haven't tried it.

I used it over BLuetooth as well but had some issues with it losing the connection. FTP worked with no issues.

Hope this helps.

dragemd

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: File transfer with Galaxy S3?

I'm looking for the same solution and I specifically don't want to use a cloud service. Although I need to transfer between my GS3 and my dual-booting, CM9ed TouchPad.

For one, security: the files I'm moving are too sensitive to trust to middlemen. And second, it's dumb; if both devices connect to the internet via Wi-Fi they should be able to connect to eachother. And third, I want to do this whereever I am without hunting down a Wi-Fi connection for the TouchPad.

Doesn't the Touchpad have a USB2.0? If it does you could transfer the files you want from the GS3 to the external SD card remove it, place it in a USB2.0 Memory Card Reader/Writer and plug that into the Touchpad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco24