How are you guys typing on this thing?!?!

gravyhead

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I just received my nexus 7 two days ago,so I fully understand and expect the learning curve for my first tablet to be steep. However, I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to type on this thing!! Using my phone and swiftkey I am just as fast as handwriting, almost as fast as home row typing. But this? It's too awkward for landscape (Let alone the countless home button-for-space bar presses), but portrait is huge for my thumbs.

I really want to like this device, but my intended functionality as a digital notebook is being greatly hindered by my lack of ability to input text!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks !

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I started out with Swiftkey but found myself hitting the home button when using the space bar. I now use Swype beta and find it very easy to use and it works perfectly. Dragon dictation works flawlessly. I admit I was not a fan of Swype on my phones but with this form factor I find it very convenient.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Swift Key for Tablets but because I tend to be a bit clumsy with the virtual keyboards, I found that the voice to text works great in Swift Key. You do have to make an effort to enunciate and do check what you get before hitting the post/send button cuz you'll prolly have some typos to fix. It tends to sometimes print similar sounding words. But in the end, I must prefer this especially if I'm going to be long winded. You can also buy a physical keyboard for it.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is what I do, if I'm reading message forums or emails, and then come across something I want to reply to or post. I put the tablet down and run to my desktop computer. :)

I really need to learn to type on a tablet.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Stock keyboard and I don't use the word suggestion thing as I type.

I guess I'm just used to typing on touch screen. I did hit enter a few times when going to hit shift though.

I have no complaints overall though. I'm pretty fast

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Swift Key for Tablets but because I tend to be a bit clumsy with the virtual keyboards, I found that the voice to text works great in Swift Key. You do have to make an effort to enunciate and do check what you get before hitting the post/send button cuz you'll prolly have some typos to fix. It tends to sometimes print similar sounding words. But in the end, I must prefer this especially if I'm going to be long winded. You can also buy a physical keyboard for it.

How are you getting swype beta? I have Swype on my Razr Maxx and love it. I need it on my N7.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I click the microphone key and dictate my messages rather than typing them. then I go back and edit with my hand .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
by the way if you have trouble installing swype then install touch pal instead. it works the same way .

RiceEatin2010GT

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Using the stock keyboard here and its fine just gotta go a tiny bit slower to make sure your typing what u want lol

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
In portrait mode I do OK, but makes the tables feel top heavy and unbalanced. I have big hands so landscape typing works for me the best.

jnrtwum

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Try swift key 3. Pretty awesome. I've being swiping for a long time and are some point it gets old... Lol

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I find if I put it down and type with two fingers instead of holding it like a phone and using thumbs, it goes a lot better. Though not the perfect solution.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I use Swype on my phone and decided to try Swiftkey for my tablet. I couldn't get used to it so I ended up getting Swype again, and now I'm comfortable. I can go pretty fast on Swype and I'm already pretty used to it.

jnrtwum

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using swype well over a year and trust me if u can get used to SwiftKey its faster.. Even more so on the tablet.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have used all of the alternatives in the market to swype, and quite honestly they are mediocre. Been using swype for a long while now on my phones, and you now get it via a direct email link, not in the store.

Here you go if anyone is interested. Swype | Text Input for Screens