Can't type anything correctly on this Note 8!

Spencurious

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Agree that the s pen is a better option, but I find it difficult to use when standing (on a train), and then I find the same challenges with the keyboard. I found that increasing the height of the standard keyboard helped, and it's also important to delete the typos that get picked up by the suggested test system.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I have always had difficulty with keyboards but I quite like the Samsung keyboard. Once I turned on high contrast keyboard in settings, I have been very happy with it. I have used several including Blackberry for years and I am pleased with the Samsung one and make few mistakes with it. Have you tried the high contrast as it does make a huge difference? I swear the different outline helps keep my fingers on the right key lol.

Last edited:

Live2sk888

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
I guess my main frustration is that I've had the Note 2, 3, and 4, and no problems at all with typing on any of them. I keep thinking that maybe this keyboard being slightly wider is the issue/something to do with the edge display?

I've tried: resizing the Samsung keyboard (this looked the most promising initially but you can't just resize the width by a couple millimeters, so the next size down is so small.

On the Gboard, swiftkey, minuum... all the resize options I found were either height-related, or when reducing the width the keyboard shifts over to the left or right side. I can't understand why I can't have it slightly narrower but in the middle. Unless i only had one hand, I wouldn't ever want it off to one side (cn't understand why that would be a popular option?!). And I don't want it taller, but I do find that all of these keyboards have decent ability to adjust the height. I really just want it to feel/work like the note 4. Wishful thinking, apparently... I figured someone might have made one like that if this was a common complaint but maybe it's not so common!

Also I won't use the s-pen for typing on a regular basis, or swipe. Not that they are bad things, I know some people like those methods, but it's not at all convenient to me to pull out the pen most of the time, and swipe drives me absolutely insane.

Too bad I don't know how to make my own keyboard!!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I guess my main frustration is that I've had the Note 2, 3, and 4, and no problems at all with typing on any of them. I keep thinking that maybe this keyboard being slightly wider is the issue/something to do with the edge display?

I've tried: resizing the Samsung keyboard (this looked the most promising initially but you can't just resize the width by a couple millimeters, so the next size down is so small.

On the Gboard, swiftkey, minuum... all the resize options I found were either height-related, or when reducing the width the keyboard shifts over to the left or right side. I can't understand why I can't have it slightly narrower but in the middle. Unless i only had one hand, I wouldn't ever want it off to one side (cn't understand why that would be a popular option?!). And I don't want it taller, but I do find that all of these keyboards have decent ability to adjust the height. I really just want it to feel/work like the note 4. Wishful thinking, apparently... I figured someone might have made one like that if this was a common complaint but maybe it's not so common!

Also I won't use the s-pen for typing on a regular basis, or swipe. Not that they are bad things, I know some people like those methods, but it's not at all convenient to me to pull out the pen most of the time, and swipe drives me absolutely insane.

Too bad I don't know how to make my own keyboard!!
Try this keyboard. It has a floating keyboard, you can put anywhere on the screen. It's a swipe keyboard, but you can tap type on it too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.dtc
1b289bb6ddd551e2b2f3cedc3887d224.jpg

go1ndr

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I love swift key. Had it on my BB Priv and now on my Samsung S7 Edge. I have the same problem as everyone else with keyboards but I do believe that Swiftkey is a little better. My biggest issue is that I have a curved glass screen protector from Zagg for the Edge, and a couple of keys kind of stick for lack of a better term. the "A" key, "S" key, the number key, but it is 100% because of the glass screen so I'll live with i.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Samsung's stock keyboard sucks. One of the first things I do on my new Samsung devices is download GBoard. Typing is so much more accurate on it and Google's autocorrect is better.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
The big problem with the keyboards is the keys are narrow relative to their height, just like the N8. This makes it easier
mistakenly to hit an adjacent key. This wasn't the case when the older Notes were wider relative to their heights and the keys were also relatively wider.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The big problem with the keyboards is the keys are narrow relative to their height, just like the N8. This makes it easier
mistakenly to hit an adjacent key. This wasn't the case when the older Notes were wider relative to their heights and the keys were also relatively wider.
I see what your saying, but I don't think that's the complete issue. I've had issues like this even on the note 5 which was not smaller screen width wise.

go1ndr

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
downloaded GBoard and honestly don't like it. Too spoiled with Swiftkey and the extras they have. One thing I really like on swiftkey is the arrow keys -> <- saving you from deleting a sentence or trying to move the bubble to the correct place. The up/down/right/left keys at the bottom, make it so easy. And lots of themes to help you get the right color to suit your eyes and not tire your eyes out.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
you know can stretch the keyboard vertical. it helps with people with big fingers.

That is very clever. Works really well with even being able to hold the phone securely resting one end of the phone in each hand as one thumb types. Thanks!

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Note 8 for 2 months and I still cant type on it. I hit wrong keys in just about every word. I have had the 3 previous Note phones and never had any problem with this at all... I'm more one of those people that gets comments about how crazy fast I type on my phone. Now I hit backspace and re-type way more that I type to begin with, and its enough to make me want to get rid of this phone that I otherwise love!

I read advice in other posts to download Swiftkey and Gboard. I've tried both but neither made a difference because the key placement was exactly the same as the default Samsung one.

Is there one out there that maybe would let me adjust the width of the keyboard displayed to make it just a little narrower/get it off the edges of the screen? I hate the edge design of this phone also but I can deal with that since there is no longer another option, if I can just get the typing problem solved. I figure if I could mimic the dimensions of the keyboard from the old Note, I might solve the problem?

TIA! :D

Do you by chance have a tempered glass protector installed? Mine makes it impossible to type right.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It's not them. Keyboards have never been great on Android phones, they just have to find the one that works the best for them. It's an Android thing, I will say that years ago when I had the iPhone 4s, typing accuracy was way better on it.

Everything has a weakness, Android one weakness is the keyboard.
I'm floored that several folks have said this, that keyboards on Android just aren't as good as those on iPhones. Obviously everyone's experience is different, but until iOS 10, Apple only had one keyboard to choose from, the default one, which doesn't event have vibration feedback (none of them do on iPhone). It also didn't support swipe typing. With swipe typing, which I've been using on various keyboards on Android since the original swipe keyboard came out, typing is way quicker once you get used to it.

Personally I always favored the Windows Phone keyboard and when I tried the other two OS', I found the iPhone 's infuriating. GBoard is fantastic.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Try the Blackberry keyboard. You have to sideboard BlackBerry Manager and then BlackBerry keyboard, but it is very good once you get used to it. It also has the whole cursor thing going for it as an option.Screenshot_2017-12-16-00-40-37.png

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Try the Blackberry keyboard. You have to sideboard BlackBerry Manager and then BlackBerry keyboard, but it is very good once you get used to it. It also has the whole cursor thing going for it as an option.View attachment 275859

Is it free or do I need to download the hub and pay thanks my initial research was not that clear. Thanks could you attach a link if possible

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm floored that several folks have said this, that keyboards on Android just aren't as good as those on iPhones. Obviously everyone's experience is different, but until iOS 10, Apple only had one keyboard to choose from, the default one, which doesn't event have vibration feedback (none of them do on iPhone). It also didn't support swipe typing. With swipe typing, which I've been using on various keyboards on Android since the original swipe keyboard came out, typing is way quicker once you get used to it.

Personally I always favored the Windows Phone keyboard and when I tried the other two OS', I found the iPhone 's infuriating. GBoard is fantastic.
I was just amazed at how well the iPhone keyboard was for me. I think keyboards are very user preference and everyone has different results with keyboards. I've spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect keyboard, free ones and paid. I'm a swipe keyboard user myself I use G board or Swype, and I have not found the perfect keyboard yet.

G board, main thing I hate about that keyboard is that if I type "I", it won't auto capitalize it most the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniel45