Screen Display when plugged in question

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ok this is in the developer option so i think you know what you are doing.

go to settings-->Developer Option-->Check "Stay awake" [screen will never sleep when charging].

your developer option might be off by default so you have to turn it on.

retbryant

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the quick response. why would something as simple as leaving the screen on need to be in the developer options? is there harm in doing this?

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Having your screen on uses battery power... I would suggest turning your screen brightness all the way down... And hard a dark wallpaper. It might take a little longer to charger. The best way to get a healthy charge is turn it off and charge

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the quick response. why would something as simple as leaving the screen on need to be in the developer options? is there harm in doing this?

No harm in enabling it. but why would anyone want to keep the display always ON when charging?
this scenario is used by very very few people and more over its for testing so they placed it in developer option.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Having your screen on uses battery power... I would suggest turning your screen brightness all the way down... And hard a dark wallpaper. It might take a little longer to charger. The best way to get a healthy charge is turn it off and charge

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Android Central Forums

That would help it charge faster, but it wouldn't be a "healthier" charge.

retbryant

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
i use my tablet in the car, when sitting idle it goes off. its already inherently dangerous using these devices in the car. if i can minimize one additional moment locating the power button while driving it would help keep me at least a little safer. the capabilities of tablets exceed in-car dash technology, so why not use it as such.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
i use my tablet in the car, when sitting idle it goes off. its already inherently dangerous using these devices in the car. if i can minimize one additional moment locating the power button while driving it would help keep me at least a little safer. the capabilities of tablets exceed in-car dash technology, so why not use it as such.

Because it's missing features that people inherently look for in a car stereo.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
OP just remove the lock screen feature on your Nexus 7 and you'll be able to hop on / off the Nexus much quicker and you won't have to leave the screen on all the time. I imagine leaving the screen on full time is harmful for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You recognise it is dangerous to use it in a car while driving, but you want to do it anyway. If you want to risk killing yourself, be my guest, but please, please don't put other road users at risk just because you are too impatient to wait until you have stopped to interact with your tablet. When driving a big metal death machine, you have a responsibility to do it as well as you can minimising the risk to other road users as much as possible.

The reason you shouldn't use it as an in-car dash is because it isn't designed to safely be used as such. Ideally, while driving, you want controls you can adjust by feel without taking your eyes off the road, and today's touchscreen technology just cannot provide the tactile feedback to do this.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You recognise it is dangerous to use it in a car while driving, but you want to do it anyway. If you want to risk killing yourself, be my guest, but please, please don't put other road users at risk just because you are too impatient to wait until you have stopped to interact with your tablet. When driving a big metal death machine, you have a responsibility to do it as well as you can minimising the risk to other road users as much as possible.

The reason you shouldn't use it as an in-car dash is because it isn't designed to safely be used as such. Ideally, while driving, you want controls you can adjust by feel without taking your eyes off the road, and today's touchscreen technology just cannot provide the tactile feedback to do this.

If used properly, it can reduce distractions. I've done the paper map thing and that's not better than a voice recognition and direction system.
This is one of the reasons I got this mobile device.
I drive a 6 speed manual trans car that keeps my attention to the driving part of being in a car. I have steering wheel buttons for cruse and radio/audio functions.
So adding the N7 in a car for navigation and car info with the Torque app is not out of line for safety. I agree to use it for anything else while driving is not a good idea.
I don't have one of the new cars with touch screen dash boards, but if you do, please enlighten me as to how they are "designed to safely be used" while driving.

I like tactile feedback feel of real buttons, but touch screens are how things are going in the tech world. I personally never liked them. Voice recognition and heads up displays are the real way to go, but it will be a while before they invent the 'Iron Man' suit interface for cars. :)

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If used properly, it can reduce distractions. I've done the paper map thing and that's not better than a voice recognition and direction system.
This is one of the reasons I got this mobile device.
I drive a 6 speed manual trans car that keeps my attention to the driving part of being in a car. I have steering wheel buttons for cruse and radio/audio functions.
So adding the N7 in a car for navigation and car info with the Torque app is not out of line for safety. I agree to use it for anything else while driving is not a good idea.
I don't have one of the new cars with touch screen dash boards, but if you do, please enlighten me as to how they are "designed to safely be used" while driving.

I like tactile feedback feel of real buttons, but touch screens are how things are going in the tech world. I personally never liked them. Voice recognition and heads up displays are the real way to go, but it will be a while before they invent the 'Iron Man' suit interface for cars. :)
Sure, using it for navigation is better than paper maps, and the navigation app keeps the screen on anyway so there should be no need to touch your N7 after you have set the route, although you shouldn't be reading paper maps while driving anyway (pull over if you need to read them). Having info from the Torque app may be okay, although I'll reserve my judgement on whether it can display anything that would actually aid safer driving as I haven't used it. But I maintain my point that you shouldn't be interacting with it while driving.

No, I haven't driven a car with a touchscreen interface built-in, so I don't know if they are designed to be safely used, I would hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

bill curra

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It is hard to use the bedside clock and alarm clock when the display goes off. My old Nexus 7 was not a problem but the new generation Nexus 7 has no setting for keeping the power on when plugged in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is hard to use the bedside clock and alarm clock when the display goes off. My old Nexus 7 was not a problem but the new generation Nexus 7 has no setting for keeping the power on when plugged in.

Welcome to Android Central! The 2013 Nexus 7 has the same Developer Options as the 2012 Nexus 7, with the same "Stay Awake" option that prevents the screen from sleeping while charging. If you don't see any Developer Options, you probably haven't activated them yet. Go to Settings/About Tablet, and tap the Build Number around 7 times. You'll see a message saying you're now a developer. Go back to the main Settings menu, now select Developer Options, turn the switch On at the top of the screen, and check Stay Awake, and there you go!

JDHZZZ

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I use my HP TouchPad as a Spotify radio while charging. I wish the screen to stay on so that I can easily see what is playing and use the controls. The advice above works well. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87