What's the best video player for anime, on the Nexus 7?

RaptorZX3

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
exactly what the title say, "what's the best video player for anime, on the Nexus 7?" and what shoud i do to make it work best?

keep in mind that anime episodes are sometimes MKV, MP4 or AVI files, and always contain subtitles (inside the container like SRT, SSA, ASS..., or encoded in the AVI file)

Strangely mVideoPlayer work just fine on my less-powerful Ainol NOVO 7 Elf II, without needing anything than the player itself, but it doesn't work at all on the Nexus 7, for those same files. I tried some promising apps like MX Player, but somehow the video lag and sometimes get out of sync with the audio. Is there anything to improve performance? external codecs?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I use mx player because it allows streaming from websites. Never had a problem. Its probably the best you can get. If it lags its probably the video

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You'll find that lots of people on this forum, including me, recommend MX Player. I also use BSPlayer, which has some nice attributes and is a good complement to MX Player.

Sent from my Nexus 7

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree on mx player

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

RaptorZX3

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
so do you convert your videos most of the time to play great on your Nexus 7?

mVideoPlayer work just fine on my Elf II, mostly any format, without lagging...well for some reasons, when i turn it on and watch videos (any format) right away, it tend to lag. But if i turn it on and after 30 minutes i decide to watch a video, it doesn't lag. So why do the same videos are not well-supported by the Nexus 7?

it seem like the Nexus 7 tend to me more touchy on video formats and how they are encoded. I just watched a bit of a anime movie, 1.4gb, 1h50m in length, 1280x720 resolution, with subtitles, and it's very smooth, AND it's a MKV...it played fine probably because the video format used in the container is MPEG4.

Last edited:

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Mxplayer has got to be one of the best, if not the best, video play available right now. If it lags, it can be two things. Your internet connection, or the decoder in mxplayer. Remember, there's 3 decoders available in mxplayer. Sw, hw, and hw+. I watch videos online and some videos work better with hw and sw, but not hw+. I've watched videos of most formats and they work with sw and hw+. Try hw+ first, then switch to saw if it fails you.

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
so when H/W+ and S/W isn't selected, it use H/W?

Open up mxplayer, go to settings, go to decoder. On the top, it says hardware decoder. Check in the box h/w+. I have the first three boxes checked and everything else unchecked.
While watching your video, if you notice any lag or out of sync-ness, you press the spot to the left of the audio sign. It should have what decoder is being used at the moment. Press that and change it to the best one that plays your videos.
Right now, I have videos/movies of different formats from mkv to mp4 to avi. They all play great with h/w+ or s/w. Some videos tend to lag or lose audio or be out of sync with h/w decoder.

The one being used should have a blue circle next to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non