ipad mini or nexus 7

ruger141

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Per the very good screen comparison from http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

---The mini has much greater glare or "screen reflectance" than the Nexus 7, 9.0% vs the nexus's 5.9%
---Color Gamut ie: range of color able to be produced, is 62/100% on the Mini vs 86/100% on the Nexus 7. BUT.... In their tests this didnt hinder it too bad. This is due to the "Factory Display Calibration" Which has a big effect on screen performance and they say that Apple has some of the best and most accurate Calibrations they have ever tested on any screen type, including HDTV's and other devices. In my personal observation, the screen looked better on the mini just not as crisp. Kinda hard to explain but it did.
Some personal notes:
---Even though the mini has much slower hardware "specs" than the nexus this is the biggest trap. The mini is actually faster to load the same apps, scores faster in benchmarks(YouTube vid somewhere of this) and performs much smoother and quicker than the Nexus.
---the mini feels more premium due to the build materials
--The Nexus is easier to hold though because of the rubbery back and smaller size.
---The iPad delivers Apples far superior screen response that is so smooth which for me is a massive consideration.
---The nexus is/was decently smooth and quick but not on par with the mini.
---Nexus Speakers are pretty quiet for most things, Mini's are supposed to be much louder And quite a lot more accurate per a YouTube Comparison.
---The Minis apps are actually formatted for a tablet while most Nexus Apps are scaled up phone apps.
---The Nexus's Volume and Power Buttons are too similar and I constantly hit the power button thinking its volume, the Mini's are easier to differentiate.
---If you use the Book Apps, Nexus ones are better because you can purchase and search for books in App, Apple does NOT allow that in their same apps

Here's a great overall review vid as well
http://youtu.be/rn8_cOiomUk

To sum it up, my Nexus is in being repaired at the moment for screen lift and a touch screen response issues. I am very tempted to sell my refurbished unit and get the mini mostly due to the smoother, more pleasant user experience. But the nexus is still very good provided you get one that doesn't have issues.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got my N7 Friday and using it compared to my mini that I had I much prefer my mini. The nexus is a good piece of hardware but I have to agree with Rene the experience on Android tablets just doesn't compare.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

totality

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Android is getting much better but still lags behind in email tools and nnotifications. If you want to use the device for emails and MS exchange support/calendars for work iOS wins hands down. If iOS let you copy files to it without using iTunes such as air droid or USB I wouldn't own an android tablet. Even now I'm still tempted to sell up and go back to iOS as I'm finding android notifications useless and the built in email, calendar and productivity apps to be sub par.

ski522

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Android is getting much better but still lags behind in email tools and nnotifications

Say what??? I've found it to be the exact opposite!

In any case, when I'm asked this suggestion, I always ask what kind of smart phone do the person have. It's always best to stick with what smart phone OS you're using since the learning curve will be smaller and data synchronization will be a bit easier on similar OS'.

steve1time

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
hey guys im debating between which tablet to get the mini or the nexus 7 i currently own a droid so i am familiar with the software, but for some reason i just like the screen clarity on the mini, what ones is going to be the one thats best for me? dont be bias either, i would always own a droid over an iphone. just for some reason the mini is catching my eye

I've been using the n7 for about 5 months now and overall the nexus/android experience as been OK but not without its faults. It was laggy at first, screen lift, sound/speaker issue's, learning curve "being my first android device". On paper the n7 wins hands down but in a real life situation the iPad mini just feels better and a more polished experience and is the one I preferred. After trying it in store for about ten minutes it was clear that it's worth the extra cash. I'm in the UK and I paid ?200 for the nexus which is a big difference between $200 U.S. I am in no way biased either way and this is my honest opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
hey guys im debating between which tablet to get the mini or the nexus 7 i currently own a droid so i am familiar with the software, but for some reason i just like the screen clarity on the mini, what ones is going to be the one thats best for me? dont be bias either, i would always own a droid over an iphone. just for some reason the mini is catching my eye

I chose the ipad mini. I don't need my tablet to be a computer necessarily the things the nexus 7 can do that the ipad can't are irrelevant to me. I like the app quality and build quality of the ipad. I use it mostly for games and reading and it's perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7. I had a choice of both for Christmas.iphonei have...iPad I have. Now loving android...I'm never bored LOL the nexus is awesome she I found some amazing apps even have fun customizing everything!!!! IPad... W the extra money I bought a new pocketbook lol
And my next phone is going to be the note :).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buyonbudget