mojosodope_2

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Since it doesn't have an HDMI port an HDMI cable will never work. Maybe Google will at sometime provide an OTG solution using the USB port. Is this possible or maybe already possible if the N7 is rooted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

That's what I was hoping for

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The OP wants to be able to view a movie bought on Google Play movies on a large screen TV, and was hoping that he could play it on TV by connecting the Nexus 7 to it.

To the OP: You can play any of your Google Play Movies directly on your computer. So if you wanted to watch it on a big screen, all you need to do is hook up your computer via HDMI to your TV, go to play.google.com/movies, select your movie, and click Play. You can then expand it to full screen. Not sure about HD content, though.

I think people often lose sight of the fact that the Nexus 7 is a sub-$200 device that already packs a huge punch, and was originally intended to be a budget-friendly device, not a do-everything ultramachine. If Google/Asus loaded more things in it like microHDMI out, SD support, and rear-facing cameras, we'd be looking at a device that is closer to $300, and therefore not as phenomenal of a value.

Thanks B. At home my AV kit is all "smart" so I couldn't visualise a scenario where I'd have content on the N7, but not on the rest. And if that was the case, I'd DLNA it over anyway, or copy it to my laptop, which does have HDMI out.

However, on a similar post, someone has pointed out that the 7" N7 format sits nicely between the phone and a laptop, and might be taken away when the laptop would be left at home. So, hotel TV with HDMI in, yes, I could see that.

I did seriously consider the 64Gb BB Playbook which is incredibly cheap over here and has HDMI out and better on-board audio. But the screen wasn't as good and as I don't have one of their phones, I had no use for the sync'ing, and just didn't want to have to learn a new OS, even ignoring BB10 coming out, which may/may not save them.

So, yes, I can see a use on the N7 and might have been ready to spend, say, ?25 more to get it. But its lack is just not a deal-breaker for me. Other folks MMV.

TheStanger

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, some simple research up front would have rectified this situation for you. Why would you purchased something having not done your due diligence on it? As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the reason the Nexus 7 is so affordable is that it doesn't have every bell and whistle. I weighed this out before I made the purchased and figured I could live without HDMI out, although it would have been nice. I don't regret my purchase one bit as the N7 is a pretty killer machine and I get tons of use out it.

mojosodope_2

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, some simple research up front would have rectified this situation for you. Why would you purchased something having not done your due diligence on it? As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the reason the Nexus 7 is so affordable is that it doesn't have every bell and whistle. I weighed this out before I made the purchased and figured I could live without HDMI out, although it would have been nice. I don't regret my purchase one bit as the N7 is a pretty killer machine and I get tons of use out it.

Never said I don't like this tablet but good looking out, have a good one chief

kobradroid

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The answer is it all depends on Google's deal with the studio. Some content can be played in HD on your computer while other content can only be played in HD on an android device. Either way You will then be able to connect your PC to your TV via HDMI. And this is exactly why we need a good miracast/dongle solution!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well yes I assumed...think about it everything is becoming digital and so you would think that you font always want to watch a movie on your tablet. So now I hope I can watch the movie I bought on the play store via my computer to my TV using HDMI....at least apple gets it right with tablets

I ...ah...um...(sigh)...nevermind.

I'm sure Apple would have been happy to have your money. With Android, you have a LOT more choices. You choose a 7", $200 tablet that is well known to have very few "extras" included for that price.

While I feel that at $200 the N7 is a GREAT tablet at a even greater bargain, there is some truth to the saying, "you get what you pay for".

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You can play the vid on any device to any device on your network if you use a media server program like Plex, TVersity. MediaMonkey, etc IF you have your network connected to your TV.

Any DLNA compatible device will work fine and you can either use your N7 to stream the media OR remote control the streaming from a server on your Desktop, etc using this method.

Alternatively you can also use apps like iMediaShare or BubbleUPnP, etc.

You don't NEED no steenkin wired hdmi connection !

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think people often lose sight of the fact that the Nexus 7 is a sub-$200 device that already packs a huge punch, and was originally intended to be a budget-friendly device, not a do-everything ultramachine. If Google/Asus loaded more things in it like microHDMI out, SD support, and rear-facing cameras, we'd be looking at a device that is closer to $300, and therefore not as phenomenal of a value.

People need to stop thinking Nexus = absolute top of the line specs and features.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
People need to stop thinking Nexus = absolute top of the line specs and features.

Exactly. While aspects of hardware on the Nexus line are usually very high end (i.e. processor, RAM, display), for the most part these devices are also very "no frills". With a target audience of developers, the main focus of Nexus is to provide a optimal platform to run Google's stock OS; the lack of extra peripheral hardware fits into this design as well.

Pros of Nexus line: Great "under the hood" specs (CPU, RAM, graphics); affordable prices; first in line for software updates from Google

Cons of Nexus line: Lack of peripheral specs (SD support, removable battery, accessory ports, etc); no "bells and whistles" or added software features, just plain-jane Android

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying the fact that the battery IS removable is a con?

Nope. He's saying lack of SD support, lack of removable battery, and lack of accessory ports (probably micro HDMI or MHL) are cons of the Nexus line.

Since the Nexus 7, the battery is no longer user-replaceable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress