Is 8gb too small

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I know the new ones are 16gb and 32GB but I'm eyeing an 8 gig one up on ebay for like $100 I would mostly be using the tablet for [edited by moderator] probably a good amount of emulators and games for the emulators. Do you think 8 gigs would fill up too fast and to maybe try and go for a 16 gig?

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

Last edited by a moderator:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Since you're talking about putting a good amount of games and some movies on the tablet, I would say go for the 16gb version. I have the 8gb version and it limits what I can do. Now, that doesn't bother me, the Nexus 7 never leaves my house and I don't spend a lot of time with it. You might be wishing you spent the extra money if you run out of space, though. Especially considering that the 8gb is more like 5gb when it comes to usable space for your stuff.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion

George Harrison

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced that both the Samsung Tab 2 7.0 8GB and the Kindle Fire 8GB tabs really only have ~4GB of free space as delivered. I have a 32GB Nexus 7 and it had ~28.5GB free space as delivered. Considering there's no SD expansion option on the Nexus 7, an 8GB version may become cramped fairly early on. IMO, I would opt for a 16GB unit if I could find one. While it seems the 32GB versions are in greater supply numbers in brick & mortor stores, both versions can be had online.

Go Forth and Live

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I would go for a 16 gig version at the very least. I have a 32 gig model and do not regret the extra storage at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dave1nyc

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I got the 32G version and if I didn't want to put movies and music on it, then it would be a waste of money. I have a good number of apps and a few games. Right now I have about 11G free, but that's because I have several movies (they wind up being about 1+ gig each after I convert them, but then I don't use all that high a resolution) that I haven't bothered to delete.

I think the 16G version would be fine (I wanted the cell version of the N7 and it only came with 32GB) but I suspect the 8 is too little.

By the way, as to those people who will tell you that you can just add a USB drive if you need more storage: Yes, you can if you root your device and if you want to live with something dangling off the bottom. Rooting isn't a huge deal, but not everyone wants to do that.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys :) I think I might go for the more storage cuz I probably wanna put music on the tablet too and I could see myself running out of space fast. Hopefully I snag one on ebay for a good price if not ill just put out some cash and use my ebay selling money.

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

robiul

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Bad advice since apps don't run from USB drives. I will never recommend and 8gb ever. That's just not enough space for anything. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Why bad advice? its a many matter question. you can get more space(32 gb pen drive) by connect OTG Cable.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It is bad advice because apps can't be stored on your USB drive.

8GB is WAY too small for this tablet because you will lose some of that to the android OS so you don't even start with 8. After you get your basic apps on there, you will end up with around 6GB remaining. Any 3D game will be above 500mb. For example, the Sims is 1.21gb and Dungeon Defenders is 889mb so you will run out of space real fast if you put any games on there. I use Sygic for offline navigation and having maps for 2 states takes additional 500mb.

8GB should have never been an option because it will not result in a good user experience if you have to constantly manage your storage.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It is bad advice because apps can't be stored on your USB drive.

8GB is WAY too small for this tablet because you will lose some of that to the android OS so you don't even start with 8. After you get your basic apps on there, you will end up with around 6GB remaining. Any 3D game will be above 500mb. For example, the Sims is 1.21gb and Dungeon Defenders is 889mb so you will run out of space real fast if you put any games on there. I use Sygic for offline navigation and having maps for 2 states takes additional 500mb.

8GB should have never been an option because it will not result in a good user experience if you have to constantly manage your storage.

Honestly it all depends on the user. I have an 8 gig model and I'm perfectly happy with it. I only tend to be playing 1 enormous game at a time so there's plenty of room.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
yea, as always your mileage may vary but personally I'd never get 8GB, just because there's no opportunity to expand it. I manage fine with 16GB but I'd love 32GB, just because I'm not always using the device on wifi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress