Headset Static While Charging at 100%

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If I leave my Nexus 7 plugged into the charger after it's reached 100% charge, or even if it's closing in on 100%, in the upper 90% range, there is very bad static while listening to any audio through a wired headset. Once I unplug the charger, the static goes away. This happened on my first two N7 units from July and August, which were returned for screen lift and a blown speaker, respectively, as well as my current unit that I've had since August. Therefore, I suspect it's simply a design limitation and not defective units.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea that's normal. My guess is that the electrical flow is changed once the battery is charged and there's some flow near the sound card causing some interference.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
No static here. But will add it to my things to test list for when my replacement (blown speaker) arrives next week...

3g model..

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful... You probably just have better earphones than me.....:p
Well, this is the reason I just ordered a Bluetooth stereo headset. That should solve the problem, plus free me from my N7 tether. My current solution is to unplug my N7 after it's fully charged, but then I have to reach two feet to do it, which disturbs my couch potatoism mode.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Be aware, have been reading about bluetooth issues with the latest JB update here, something about studdering... good luck

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No. Nothing like that on my 16gb purchased last September.

You're kidding, right?

The NExus 7 is not the first device i've encountered this on. Interference is actually fairly common if electrical current isn't shielded properly. I can make this happen on demand on my N7, just charge the battery to 100% while listening to anything on any set of headphones I've tried.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Problem with that thought is that there is no ground on the charger.....

Of course it could just be the CIA satellites reading your thoughts again..... Tin foil anyone?....:p

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Problem with that thought is that there is no ground on the charger.....
Of course it could just be the CIA satellites reading your thoughts again..... Tin foil anyone?....:p
I have no thoughts of much interest to myself, let alone the CIA, so I'm not too worried. However, it's still worth a try to check different outlets and without an extension cord.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you tested different earphones? Many are made to act as antennas (not used by the nexus 7) and could be picking up or amplifying the noise from the charger.....

or possibly the neighbor's microwave....:-[

But yes, test everything...

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thought. I'll experiment with different outlets and if that doesn't work, then in a different house.
It would be interesting to hear what you're hearing. Do you have an audio input on your computer that you could connect the output of your Nexus to, so that you could record the output?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear what you're hearing. Do you have an audio input on your computer that you could connect the output of your Nexus to, so that you could record the output?

Are you saying the noise could just be a distorted echo created because of the unique distance between the cranial bone structure (skull) and actual grey matter (brain)?

:D

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
What I am saying is that the word "static" has been used to describe pink/white noise, TIM distortion, hum components, break up, and countless other audible aberrations.

The more one knows what the problem sounds like, the more accurate will be their prognosis.