App to adjust color, contrast, temperature, etc for the Nexus 7 screen?

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Neither seem to do what I am looking for. My Nexus 7 screen colors are little washed out - not as vibrant as I would like. I had a Samsung tablet that had some adjustments available but I can't find anything in Jelly Bean or any apps that can make the screen more vibrant on the Nexus 7.

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
There was an app featured on Android central or droid life that was meant to do that...I cant remember its name though

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Neither seem to do what I am looking for. My Nexus 7 screen colors are little washed out - not as vibrant as I would like. I had a Samsung tablet that had some adjustments available but I can't find anything in Jelly Bean or any apps that can make the screen more vibrant on the Nexus 7.
Read this very good article that compares the Nexus 7 display to that of the Kindle Fire HD and the newest iPad (but not iPad Mini, as it was released after the article was published). http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_7inch_ShootOut_1.htm

From this article, it appears that real screen optimization and calibration can only be done at the factory:
"The raw LCD panel hardware first needs to be adjusted and calibrated at the factory with specialized firmware and software data that are downloaded into the device in order for the display to produce a usable image ? let alone an accurate and beautiful one."

They did not speak too kindly of the N7 display calibration:
"The Factory Display Calibration on the Nexus 7 was severely botched, which significantly degrades its picture quality. In spite of its good Color Gamut, colors and contrast are washed out due to a compressed, convex, and irregular Intensity Scale (sometimes called the Gray Scale). Bright images look like over exposed photographs."

"The Factory Display Calibration problem mentioned above for the Nexus 7 display qualifies as a bug because it is a software or firmware problem rather than an inherent hardware display issue. Depending on the display firmware this may or may not be correctable with a software update."

So it would appear that you'll just have to live with the display as it is, and hope that the next version of the N7 improves upon this issue. Personally, I think everything looks fine, though, I'll admit, not spectacular. My secret is to not do any side by side comparisons!

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
"Personally, I think everything looks fine, though, I'll admit, not spectacular. My secret is to not do any side by side comparisons!"

I recently temporarily used a 3rd gen I-Pad (admittedly much more expensive) and going back to the Nexus left me wanting a more vibrant display on that device. I am surprised no one (including Google) has figured out an app that would allow some adjustment/enhancement of the display.

But I agree the display is ok, as long as you don't compare it to the screens of more expensive devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non