Nexus 7 Won't Charge

yaya2141

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have tried 3 different chargers and my nexus will only charge when the charger is forcibly pushed into the port, which is not possible to do for a long time, what can i do to fix the problem as at the moment my nexus has been rendered useless.

Also if i cannot fix the micro usb port does the new nexus 7 dock need the use of the micro usb port or do the pogo pins charge the device on their own

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am under the impression you will have issues if you use chargers not made specifically for the Nexus 7.

Sent from my HTC DNA

Kimberlee Ballenger

May 23, 2013
Visit site
apparently the nexus 7 is a bit buggy and runs in to recharge issues when it is idyl over time.. I am having a similar issue in that mine simply will not recharge at all now. In the past, going to the root menu to turn it off has worked but not this time. I believe removing the back removes the warranty and mine is still under a year old. A friend suggested holding the start button for 30 secs and trying to charge again.. I'm trying that now

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the Nexus 7 is charged up, and then hold down the POWER button for about 30 seconds. This will sometimes force the tablet to turn on. I've seen instances where the battery would get too low and die, and it would have a hard time turning back on. This usually works.

If nothing seems to work, or if it seems to be charging intermittently, there might be an issue with the battery or its connection. If this is the case, contact our customer support and we can set up repair services for you. Technically, opening up the back will void the warranty, but there is no indicator to let us know if you've opened it up or not. Some people have been able to open it and fix a loose battery cable. However, if you are not comfortable doing this, then I do NOT recommend it. We won't notice if you opened up the back, but we will notice if you open up the back and messed around with something that is not supposed to be touched.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say thanks to asus_usa for participating in this forum and giving members useful advice on dealing with his employer. Thanks!

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have tried 3 different chargers and my nexus will only charge when the charger is forcibly pushed into the port, which is not possible to do for a long time, what can i do to fix the problem as at the moment my nexus has been rendered useless.

Also if i cannot fix the micro usb port does the new nexus 7 dock need the use of the micro usb port or do the pogo pins charge the device on their own

Thanks in advance

You shouldn't have to force the usb plug in. It should snap in with just a little effort.Have you inspected the port on the N7 to be sure that it is clean and undamaged?

The Asus dock charges using the pogo pins. There have been complaints about charging speed but that may be dependent on something in some N7 builds. My N7 Will only charge at 0.8 to 1.0 amps with the stock usb charger or my Blackberry Playbook charger both of which are supposed to deliver ~1.8 amps. Maybe Mr. Asus can explain that.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

SnowBlack2218

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem. My N7 would charge for 5 secs and then disconnect for 10-15 secs, and then charge for five secs again. Then, I bent the micro USB that goes into the device a bit upwards (positioned so that the screen is facing upwards) and then it had no problems charging. Don't bend it too much! Let me know if this works. Cheers!

Marv Albin

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I, too, have a first gen Nexus 7 with charging problems. It was a gift for my daughter for Christmas 2012, so it is under a year old. It is dead now and will not turn on. I've tried all of the suggestions here and everywhere else I could find. Holding the off/on button while turning it on, also holding the volume down simultaneously, charging for long periods. It is the original charger. I bought another Nexus branded charge but still have no results. My daughter does not have the original box and I don't have the receipt, so I'm not sure I can get warranty service. Any suggestions?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I, too, have a first gen Nexus 7 with charging problems. It was a gift for my daughter for Christmas 2012, so it is under a year old. It is dead now and will not turn on. I've tried all of the suggestions here and everywhere else I could find. Holding the off/on button while turning it on, also holding the volume down simultaneously, charging for long periods. It is the original charger. I bought another Nexus branded charge but still have no results. My daughter does not have the original box and I don't have the receipt, so I'm not sure I can get warranty service. Any suggestions?

Where did you buy it? If you bought it from Google Play, you should have a copy of the receipt in email. If you bought it at one of the chain stores, and have a frequent buyer card, like Best Buy, they usually can pull up the transaction and print a copy of the receipt.

Also, look at the serial number. It starts with the manufacturer month (C8 models were made in August). If the number starts with a higher number, they won't request a receipt, since it hasn't been a year since it was made.

LoviTurtle

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nexus 7 tablet for Christmas and it has caused so much trouble since the beginning. It always has to do with charging. This tablet has so many charging issues, it must be corrupt. Of course, the warranty is far from being over, as it's now in August, going on September. My tablet is currently at 41% and I'm worried all over again.

I'm using the charger the device came with and guess what, it won't charge Q.Q I'm at a complete loss of what to do. I've tried connecting to multiple phone chargers, to my father's car, then back to the original charger. This is just annoying at this point. Honestly, this device might at well have hormones it's this way and that. Very prissy little thing.

I've never had such a stubborn device to deal with. I connect the charger, yet if you open the settings, it says 'discharging'.

The amount the tablet is worth has already been pain for with getting it fixed. The Nexus 7 shouldn't be this complicated. Even the people at the shop don't know what it's problem is. To save their butts last time, they just went out and replaced the original when they couldn't find out what the problem was.

So, technically, this is a new tablet. Yet, it's still choosing to be a ninny.

markros73

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I have same charging problem. what I did was go to settings and choose battery. It lets you know if its charging or not. I wiggle the connector in the nexus until it says charging. then I position the cord under the nexus to put some tension on the connector so that it still charging then leave it like that until its charged Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana