Google+ hangouts

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason this app is not compatible with the nexus 7. I've just been in a hangout via the Google+ app and I thought they one and the same.... I could be wrong tho. :)

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Greenstone

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Write I was just about to post about this. Kind of annoying that they showed how everything works across all platforms and then they don't follow through

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they'll be a tablet optimized version soon. I can't think of any other conceivable reason why the N7 would not be supported initially.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there a reason this app is not compatible with the nexus 7. I've just been in a hangout via the Google+ app and I thought they one and the same.... I could be wrong tho. :)

It says in the description some phones and tablets will show not compatible until they work on the app some more.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
You would of thought one of Google's main tablets would have been released first. When I was using it yesterday, had no problems at all.. Still, it will come soon and I'm in no hurry.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You would of thought one of Google's main tablets would have been released first. When I was using it yesterday, had no problems at all.. Still, it will come soon and I'm in no hurry.

The real kick in the gut is that it works fine on iPads. I figured Google would get their own house in order before working on someone else's.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I still see the Open button that opens the old google talk.

I was very underwhelmed about this new app though since it doesn't unify SMS.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, go to play.google.com and search for hangouts that way. Then you can force install it if the play store still shows the Open button.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem on my GNex. I ended up removing my old talk.apk via root and then it installed.

Last edited:

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's what I wound up doing too... used Titanium Backup to uninstall Talk, then grabbed Hangouts from the play store app.

The Hangouts icon is still the Talk icon at this point though - lol.

Scott Greenstone

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont know how to remove the APK. But the Play store has this under hangouts:

If you aren't yet able to install Hangouts on your phone or tablet, or the Play Store "Open" button takes you to the old Talk app, hang tight, we are rolling out Hangouts to everyone over the course of several days. Rest assured Hangouts will be available soon for all Android 2.3+ devices, tablets included!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
On the web it says my N10 already has this item installed but hangout update is still not available to install. it was incompatible yesterday but today its compatible.
hopefully soon the update can be pushed

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone else still have the "Talk" icon for Hangouts on their N7?? (It is fine on my N4) I also seem to get random Talk notifications (as well as the constant Hangouts notifications). Weird.

P.S. there is an update today... but I have no idea what was actually updated, the change log is weak in the play store.

Screenshot_2013-05-17-09-44-22.jpg

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
If you guys read the Hangout description, they know about these issues. By the way, the update probably made tablets compatible. If you tap on "open" and it opens the Talk app, you'll just have to wait a few days.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Installed on my phone and wish I hadn't. It wiped ongoing conversations with no warning and populated the contacts screen with everything in my phone contacts list, not just the Gmail accounts.
Won't be "upgrading" my N7 to this POS.

Edit: was able to rollback to Talk. It just didn't do so immediately.

Last edited:

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I like everything better on hangouts other than the contact list. It is pita because it lists all of my Google + contacts BEFORE my google contacts. That is a huge mistake and should be swapped or at least give me the option. Also, it shows double entries for some people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress