Nexus 7: Using Pulse or Currents - screen spaz attack.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm comparatively new here with Android and the manufacturers, but not all that green when it comes to touch screens - but my 7 has me wondering what the heck is going on.

While using either Pulse or Google Currents apps, I often find my screen either locks up (this primarily with Pulse) or worse, has an attack of ghost input and starts running through various pages unbidden, with no control possible from me (this with Currents mostly). More often than not Pulse will note its having an issue and ask to close / send report, while Currents just spazzes until I force it to close.

I'm tempted to blame the apps (coincidental both news aggregator apps?) or even the screen digitizer, but for the fact I don't have issues with other apps in this regard.
Anyone else experiencing similar issues with these - are they just duff apps and should be avoided, or is there something bigger going on with my 7? Its very stock with a fair whack of storage available and its running TrustGo, so...?

Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First part of elimination I would do is disable TrustGo and see if that clears up your problem. Sometimes those anti-virus apps just like on our computers can cause strange problems.

I really doubt your having a problem hardware speaking with the N7. If its functioning fine outside of those programs your having problems with then it has to be a software/app conflict going on.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Paul627g -

Thanks for the reply. Get what you are saying about TrustGo, but I should have noted that I installed that after the issues popped up. Indeed, I may have installed that to see if there was a little, ahem...trouble that had snuck onboard that had to be removed. Nothing on that front, according to that app.

I could disable TrustGo and see what the result is, but again, the troubles predate that.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just for kicks I installed Google Currents on my N7 and played around for about ten minutes reading various free stuff and had none of what you described. Haven't tried pulse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Fascinating. Partly because my 7 came with Currents. Currently on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. And uninstall is not an option.

The behaviour with this app had been a gradual thing, so I've flushed its cache and forced a stop - see if that does anything. Or not.

Thanks again!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Fascinating. Partly because my 7 came with Currents. Currently on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. And uninstall is not an option.

The behaviour with this app had been a gradual thing, so I've flushed its cache and forced a stop - see if that does anything. Or not.

Thanks again!

Sorry I forgot to clarify that mine did to originally but I rooted and installed a custom Rom that had most things stripped out. Google Currents was one of those things.

Anyhow I spent a good hour tonight reading articles from Currents and never had an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

treylc

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello Bazza1, sorry to hear you are having issues. I really don't have much advice for you on what may be going on but I do use the Pulse app every day on my N7 and have never come across your issue. I even use Currents from time to time without issue. I have a 16GB N7 that I purchased new in August of 2012. I am running stock, never rooted.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So it seems flushing the cache and forcing a stop to the app (from Settings > Apps > Currents) may have resolved the issue there. I had tried doing a hard boot of the whole device previously, with no success. Seems this may have got some 'ducks in a row' somewhere.

As for Pulse, if it's going to lock up, it only happens when I jump from articles to 'Read More' - or I guess in its own internal web browser. It may lock up and, with luck, I get a box saying 'Pulse isn't responding...' with the option to close and/or report it. I report it. Closing it refreshes back to the Pulse app, where it seems fine.
On a side note, the scrolling between articles in a subscribed channel seems considerably less smooth than with the iOS version of the app. Pity.

Again, only issues with these two apps, so I can't believe its a 7 / digitizer issue.

Hannah West

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I bought a refurbished nexus 7 awhile ago and it has crazy spazzing problems. Originally, the touchscreen would only have occasional problems that were not so bad, and they would go away if I turned the screen on and off. However, now, and for the past few months, the tablet is impossible to use. The screen spazzes as soon as it is turned on. My Nexus 7 opens the calculator by itself and starts typing random math, then gets bored of math and googles the weather. Then, it opens a news app and rearranges my home screen. I think it is a hardware problem. Since I am way past the warranty, and this can't get any worse, does anyone know a way that I can fix this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463