Nexus 7: Stuck in 'Boot Loop" after 4.3 update

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stuck in 'Boot Loop" after 4.3 update

Did you end up losing all your data? How did you do this while stuck in "boot loop?" Thanks.

That's what I was afraid of. I figured that would be my last resort and I was hoping I didn't have to do it. Do you think its possible to root while stuck in a boot loop and recover my files before I do reset?

If you hold down the power, up volume and down volume it will take you into recovery mode. From there you can load the factory image. You will lose any data that is not backed up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

If you hold down the power, up volume and down volume it will take you into recovery mode. From there you can load the factory image. You will lose any data that is not backed up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I guess that's that then. All hope is lost and I have to do this. I still can't believe this happened after trying to do an update that I DIDNT want. I guess I also learned my lesson in not backing up my files.

If anyone out there has any other ideas, I would be gratefully thankful. And thanks again to those who have helped me.

Sergio Gomes

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I have a nexus7 4.2 rooted , after i update it OTA 4.3 it dont assume it, it stays on TWRP menu , what do i have to do? If i reboot it , the 4.2 is still there . where is the 4.3 hidden? That is the path of 157.5 mb 4.3?
Please help and sorry for my english

Gordon Mack

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Guys! Please help.. I'm having the same problem as original poster! I've gone into the start menu and wiped all data and it still gets stuck in boot after reset. What could I do next?? How do u install image? I've just downloaded it on my old nexus 3 and gonna copy it to laptop..but the laptop doesn't have internet connection BC I was using tether fron nexus 4 which is now dead. Please help!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a nexus7 4.2 rooted , after i update it OTA 4.3 it dont assume it, it stays on TWRP menu , what do i have to do? If i reboot it , the 4.2 is still there . where is the 4.3 hidden? That is the path of 157.5 mb 4.3?
Please help and sorry for my english

If you want to accept ota, you need to flash the stock recovery first.

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I'm still waiting on a second opinion and for other options to fixing my tablet before I do a full data wipe.

Someone, please help.

kittystryker

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Don't bother. My partner did a full wipe because he was having issues with the screen, and now it's in this boot loop. I can't even turn it *off* to put it in recovery mode. Not downloading this update on my tablet, which is working just fine on 4.2.2!!!

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Don't bother. My partner did a full wipe because he was having issues with the screen, and now it's in this boot loop. I can't even turn it *off* to put it in recovery mode. Not downloading this update on my tablet, which is working just fine on 4.2.2!!!

I don't believe you read my post correctly. I'm already in a boot loop and I'm trying to get it out with out losing all my data. I didn't want to do an update, but the annoying reminders kept popping up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think kittystryker was saying that doing a full wipe didn't help at all--in fact, it seemed to cause the boot loop in their case.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

If you hold down all of the buttons it will break out of the boot loop and go into recovery. The only recourse from there is to load the factory image.

my2rc

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Wanted to add my experience... I just bought a nexus 7 (2013) and today, when I turned on my device, it was stuck at the X during boot. I think this is what you're experiencing.

Then I spent a few hours trying to get fastboot to recognize my device (ended up deleting all android tools, reinstalling eclipse indigo and then the sdk).

Then I unlocked, flashed stock, and bingo it worked.

I let google play reinstall my apps, reset, then google auto-updated my pre-installed apps, I reset, then....

Stuck at the X again.

So I think some updated app is creating the hangup.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm still waiting on a second opinion and for other options to fixing my tablet before I do a full data wipe.

Someone, please help.

You can try breaking out of the boot loop by turning off the unit. Then press the power button and the vol down button at the same time until you get into the recovery screen. At that point you can choose to just start or scroll through the options using the Vol UP and Vol down keys.

sansnil

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

This may not help you or anyone else having a boot loop problem with Android 4.3 but I wanted to disseminate the info in case it does help anyone.

I hit a boot loop snag on my Galaxy Nexus GSM after installing the recent 4.3 OTA security update. I had no issues with the initial Android 4.3 release, but the security update did something that made my device hit a boot loop. I could restore from a Nandroid backup, but about once a day I would hit the boot loop snag again. After dealing with daily restores for a couple days I dug into it a bit and found that when the phone gets mired in a boot loop I can fix it by deleting two files.

The trick is you have to be using TWRP on the recovery partition because that will let you use a file manager to delete the two files. There may well be other solutions but that's been the easiest for me. The two files which need to be deleted are:

/data/system/locksettings.db
/data/system/locksettings.db-shm

If you use Google Wallet you'll see a similarly named file there "locksettings.db-wal" -- DO NOT DELETE THIS ONE, just the two above.

If this helps anyone please post so if it doesn't people won't waste their time -- THANKS!

peterorban

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Hi - same here as many of the previous posters: N7 (2012) in bootloop after attempting 4.3 OTA....right out of the box.Therefore neither debugging nor dev mode have been set. I can get into recovery and do a full wipe..but still stuck on bootloop. Based on previous posts it looks like the only option is manually flash the ROM but not sure if possible w/e debugging mode on? Also downloaded the SDK but not sure how to flash stock - can you give me a pointer? Thank you

Tawcoma26

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Still trying to find a solution after half a year. Anyone have any ideas? I at least want to retrieve my files.

Thanks in advance.

Kev Bunn

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever get to the bottom on this? Mine and my brothers Nexus 7 tablet have also been like this ever since the update and I was exactly the same as you, put off doing the update for 3 months since my tablet was running fine, one day decided to do it and boom, never worked since.
And that was probably about a year and a half ago, maybe 2?

Just been looking at trying to sort it today as I miss it :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95