all the benefits of wiping the cache partition?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. It's all temporary system data that could potentially bog things down, especially if it's left over from a previous version of Android. But keep in kind that there's no guarantee it will speed things up. But it won't hurt. Just make sure you don't select the option to erase the whole device!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you REALLY want to do yourself a "solid", remove all the icons from all your "home screens" and launcher screens (there are 3 or 5 out there) plus all the lock screen widgets. Cold boot the thing. You may notice with the floors all bare, so to speak, that old icons from deleted apps start coming up! Or that when you previously had just 3 launcher panels, suddenly you get 5 of them! Remove all the defunct icons and cold boot again. Once EVERYTHING is removed from all the launcher panels and lock screen, start putting them back. You may notice the battery capacity and heat issues go away when you do this radical purge.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I wonder if you can achieve the same results by going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Launcher (or the equivalent, since it can differ by device), and Clearing Data. This essentially clears out the homescreens, requiring you to rebuild them.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I wonder if you can achieve the same results by going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Launcher (or the equivalent, since it can differ by device), and Clearing Data. This essentially clears out the homescreens, requiring you to rebuild them.

That is another good way to look at it. Something else to add: When you get a third update from your carrier, it would be best to reboot into recovery and clear cache, and factory reset. Yes, I know I just typed the most horrible thing, but as the phone gets updated, it IS still technically a new ROM, and most developers will say there is nothing wrong with wiping both cache and data every now and then. Not doing so is considered a 'dirty' flash and too many of them causes problems.

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So how do you know when you've successfully done this? I don't know how to tell?

ALSO, B.Diddy, what's the equivalent of Launcher on the nexus 7? Or how to find it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So how do you know when you've successfully done this? I don't know how to tell?

ALSO, B.Diddy, what's the equivalent of Launcher on the nexus 7? Or how to find it?

Assuming you've gotten to the menu where you select Wipe Cache Partition, you should see some progress notes in tiny print saying something like "Wiping Cache," and when it's done, it should say "Done." Then it will go back to the Recovery Menu, with "Reboot System Now" highlighted. Press the power button, and it will reboot.

I just looked at the Nexus 7's apps--the stock homescreen launcher is called Launcher. Find it under Settings/Apps/All, and scroll down until you find Launcher.

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
BDiddy, Golfdriver: ah, yes. I went through those steps, but didn't notice any difference afterward. I assumed I'd have to log back in to all my sites, etc Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
BDiddy, Golfdriver: ah, yes. I went through those steps, but didn't notice any difference afterward. I assumed I'd have to log back in to all my sites, etc Thanks

Sometimes what happens is cache from an old version can conflict with a new one. This causes the OS to overwork, which can cause lag and battery issues. First thing to try when you are having these issues, but not always a cure all. But much better than factory reset.

From a SlimROM S3

Anuskha Mohan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I wiped the cache parttition but now my phone keeps discharging when it is about 70%. Also when I put it to charge it charges really fast. Can you pleas ehelp me restore this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, I wiped the cache parttition but now my phone keeps discharging when it is about 70%. Also when I put it to charge it charges really fast. Can you pleas ehelp me restore this issue?

Welcome to Android Central. Are you talking about a Nexus 7, or a different device? This is the Nexus 7 forum, so if you have a different device, I suggest posting your question there. It would help if you gave some more details, like the brand and model of device, Android version, whether you're rooted or not.

Clearing the cache partition shouldn't affect battery life like that, so it may have been coincidence. What do you mean by "discharging when it is about 70%"? Do you mean that it shuts off at 70%? What you may want to try is to let the battery run down to around 20% (if you can), then plug it into a wall outlet and leave it there overnight, without disturbing it. Then see if the battery behaves again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i have a question ... how long takes wipe cache partition? because already passed 30 minutes and still appears wiping cache / formatting/cache

Welcome to Android Central! That's too long. It should only take about 15-20 seconds at the most. Are you sure it's stuck? You don't have any option to Reboot System Now? If not, then hold the Power button down until the device powers off, then turn it on again.

Posted via Android Central App

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
i have a question ... how long takes wipe cache partition? because already passed 30 minutes and still appears wiping cache / formatting/cache

The nexus 9, just as an example takes about 5 minutes to clear the cache in recovery (don't ask my why :) ). But as B Diddy stated, 30 mins seems waaaay to long for a standard cache clear on the N7...

lukie80de

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
For the archive: In my case wiping the cache partition resolved lag and delay issues. Out of nowhere the UI was a little bit laggy but in particular loading or playing of audio files was delayed by 2-3 seconds in all(!) apps including the system itself: Navigation app, TTS, music and notifications. Wiping helps. (System: S4 active, Lollipop, not rooted)

JPWhite

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wiping the cache partition took just over 5 minutes on a 2013 Moto X.

It resolved my battery and lag issues after upgrading to Lollipop.

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'll try 2 make this as short as possible.ok, the most recent security patch(Aug 1) caused my s5 active to say "kernel" in red top left portion of screen. It then said "software not recognized by AT&T detected." Then it locked me out with this⚠ and instructions 2 take 2 nearest att store. I did. The salesman tried 2 tell me it was bricked & sell me a new phone. He realized this was not happening & got my phone back on with zero changes/loss of anything.after that my startup screen says custom w/the unlock symbol. But I checked every way I could & could find zero evidence of ANY custom anything. And the security patch worked..? Anyway..Ffwd. Yesterday I received marshmallow update 6.0.1 and am hesitant to wipe cache partition after sweating g out the update hoping that I didn't get "bricked" again. (Also during the update my screen was stuck on the white att logo 4 about 3 mins when I hit power,home,volume up, it then proceeded to show "android is updating screen w/ the 2 cogs..not sure if it was "stuck" or a coincidence )I want 2 wipe cache partition since this is 3rd OTA update. (Started w/KitKat 4.4.4) I'm just scared that if I go into any recovery menu it might lock up again. Any feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87