Help! Did my son brick his nexus 7?

leesherm

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much about android, this is what my son told me happened.

He has a Nexus 7 2012 (wifi, Nakasi-Grouper) which he had on jellybean 4.3 multirom. He tried to flash 4.3 stock recovery in preparation to upgrade to kitkat using Nexus Root Toolkit while on 4.3 ROM other than the internal one. It either incorrectly flashed the image while in the bootloader or it tried to flash the bootloader for kitkat. It went to the Google screen and then turned black and then the screen just flashes repeatedly. The computer will see it in APX mode but can?t get any drivers loaded so that it is accessible by usb. He had not generated the files for NVFlash to be able to restore it.

I have played around trying to load usb drivers that will work with it, I have not found anything on the web to help fix it. Depressing the power and both up and down volume buttons does nothing, I did figure out that it can be turned off with power and up volume depressed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is nothing my son and I can do to fix it is it worth sending out for repair?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

He has a Nexus 7 2012 (wifi, Nakasi-Grouper) which he had on jellybean 4.3 multirom. He tried to flash 4.3 stock recovery in preparation to upgrade to kitkat using Nexus Root Toolkit while on 4.3 ROM other than the internal one. It either incorrectly flashed the image while in the bootloader or it tried to flash the bootloader for kitkat. It went to the Google screen and then turned black and then the screen just flashes repeatedly. The computer will see it in APX mode but can’t get any drivers loaded so that it is accessible by usb. He had not generated the files for NVFlash to be able to restore it.

I have played around trying to load usb drivers that will work with it, I have not found anything on the web to help fix it. Depressing the power and both up and down volume buttons does nothing, I did figure out that it can be turned off with power and up volume depressed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is nothing my son and I can do to fix it is it worth sending out for repair?

Welcome to the forums.
There are services called JTAGS that can possibly unbrick devices. Like this one: JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone
I have not used this service at all, I have seen it suggested on a few other forums, but I personally cannot vouch/guarantee effectiveness.

leesherm

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
contacted Bricked my Phone and he said he did not think there was a JTAG fix for the nexus 7. Looks like he will be buying a new one unless someone else has an idea as to what to try next.

MotoClive

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If you know how to access it maybe a factory restore will fix it. It normally somewhere in settings (Often under 'privacy')

styx_phoenix

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

He has a Nexus 7 2012 (wifi, Nakasi-Grouper) which he had on jellybean 4.3 multirom. He tried to flash 4.3 stock recovery in preparation to upgrade to kitkat using Nexus Root Toolkit while on 4.3 ROM other than the internal one. It either incorrectly flashed the image while in the bootloader or it tried to flash the bootloader for kitkat. It went to the Google screen and then turned black and then the screen just flashes repeatedly. The computer will see it in APX mode but can’t get any drivers loaded so that it is accessible by usb. He had not generated the files for NVFlash to be able to restore it.

Did you happen to try the instructions/procedure that is posted as a sticky in the Root/ROM/Hack sub-forum?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...1477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.html

That seems to have saved a number of people with devices that are similar to how yours sounds. Worth a shot!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo