Tablet slowed down with 5.0

frogster77

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
After doing a clean install of the Lollipop factory image and a cache partition wipe, my Nexus became really laggy and slow after a few days. I've done some research and found if adjust some of the developer settings, it has got my tablet back to some semblance of lag free use.
I changed the 'window/transition animation and animator scale' from 1x to .5x (you can set to off) and the 'background process limit' from standard limit to two. Changing those settings together with disabling Google Now and auto sync, it has been much better these last few days - not ideal but better than nothing!!

lojopgh

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I think my experience is similar to many. I like the way Lollipop looks and the notifications are nice, but the tablet is significantly slower when hitting the home and recent apps button. Also some apps (especially Facebook) just quit and drop you back to the home screen. This happens frequently.

Just for reference, I manually installed the OTA update and then did a factory reset.

Bart

Yes especially facebook. I have the same issue.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Like many, my N7 is pretty much useless. I did the OTA install and immediately had such slow response it was horrible. Last night did a cache partition wipe hoping that would do it. This was no help. I thought I'd do a factory reset because surely then it would speed up. Only a marginal improvement at best. I did load apps from the cloud but not all that were there before. Somebody else mentioned Facebook being slow. It wouldn't even load at first for me. Finally, it did come up but took over a minute to get in and then was laggy. Right now, my N7 is a pretty little thing that sits on the desk and can't do anything of value. My next and maybe last attempt will be to factory reset again then only add a few apps that I use most often. Hopefully, it will be able to handle that. The good news, my N5 works like a champ with Lollipop!

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the Google update sent direct to me. I have done nothing to my 2012 Nexus 7 since I got it, apart from allow upgrades.

I am VERY disappointed with Lollipop. Facebook is a nightmare, keeps closing down. The tablet keeps resetting itself. I can't open PDF's via WPS (Kingstone Office). It is sooooo slow. I also get a different wallpaper when it feels like changing.

Yea, me too, all black with no icons! :mad: This lasts for a minute or so then slowly comes back to what it was before.

Last edited:

billbluesnjazz

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 7 was one of the first in the UK. I have upgraded with Google as it developed, but now have a next to useless tablet after 5.0. Paint dries faster than this! Slow, crashes, random reboots. I have a Samsung phone and the difference is night and day. Even for apps that have no problems, like calendar and contacts, the changes are appalling. Probably developed by a 16 year old kid on a widescreen monitor. Now screen real estate is taken up with a meaningless banner, and a list that has only a few names on it! Will be stopping by the Apple Store today, have already spent enough time trying to fix the problems with Android. Oh, and by the way, who told Google that combining email into one was what I wanted? Fail on usability, on performance, on design and on service. I resisted Apple for years, but no longer. Bye bye Google!

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe they even testing this on our devices. It runs soooo bad. I did a factory reset. Installed it. Factory reset again and then installed my apps. Chrome opens and does basically nothing. At times it just locks up trying to open apps.

gapgapman

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
My N7 has improved after the initial couple days. Removing some background running apps helped along with a partition cache wipe. There are times when its very slow and will sleep before an app loads. Its definitely slower than JB, but hoping for an update soon. Chrome is pretty awful though, only works about 25% of the time. I think my big offender was Battery doctor, which kept crashing... Once removed, its been use able, but still locks up once or twice daily. I also switched to NOVA launcher since Google now was supposedly an issue.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I never really noticed much of a slowdown from the time I bought the tablet until just a couple of months ago. My hope was that the lollipop upgrade would help, but after receiving it a few days ago, I found that the performance was inconsistent, but, overall, was worse, with some complete lockups, spontaneous reboots, and even the auto portrait/landscape adjustment started getting balky. Clearing the cache partition did not seem to do anything (tried it both before and after getting the OTA). I then reluctantly performed a factory reset ( had never done one before, and did not want to have to deal with re-entering all of my information in all of my apps), and this largely seems to have restored the functionality of the tablet. There are still some random and brief delays in response to screen commands, but nothing that I cannot live with.

For those who are hoping for Google to update lollipop in some manner to fix the problems that we have been experiencing, from what I have read on arstechnica.com, the problem is not with the OS, but with the type of RAM that was used in the production of the 2012 tablets. Supposedly, the problem is worse with 8 gigabyte tablets. Mine is a 16 gigabyte model.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the OTA for several days now. It has gone from unusable to adequate. Far from what would be optimal, but I can at least use it. As drew_t said, a major problem is the original build of N7. I believe the problem isn't so much Lollipop as the apps and not being yet compatible. I started by not using Google now since people saying it was a huge problem. However, for me, android launcher was no gem. I've gone to Now and it is working fine. Chrome is a bit balky but works if there aren't too many tabs open. Facebook seems still to be a huge problem, but the last update helped. I think things will continue to get better as more apps are adjusted. :)

Sonic Alpha

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I did a Factory Reset earlier today, and it's finally finished installing everything.

My Nexus 7 runs almost like new, with Facebook being the major pain on the device so far. The moment I booted it up, my N7 started acting up. However, once I shut it down everything returned to normal.

While it takes a long time, a factory reset is definitely worth a try. It's just a shame that I had to resort to doing one in order to fix my device :/

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Can a person back up the N7 so that all the apps are restored? I have different apps on different phones/tablets. I don't want to have to sort through that long last on Google play that has ever app I ever downloaded for the past 4 years.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. See the Backup and Reset section of the Settings menu. If these options weren't already on by default, make sure that your info is actually backed up before you do the Factory Reset.

Be aware, though, that this will not back up any of your personal files,photos, media, downloads, etc. that may be stored on the tablet. The Factory Reset will nuke all that stuff, so make sure you have it backed up in the cloud or elsewhere.

Last edited:

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
You can restore all of them or pick and choose. You can also choose which device to restore from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
When I installed 5.0 our tablet was horribly slow. Did a factory reset and it was still slow. When I did the rest I had it reinstall apps, so I thought maybe that was the issue. I did another reset , this time telling it not to install apps. That improved it. I left Google Now off and it was faster. Enabling Now does show it down, but not like before.

Facebook does seem to be an issue, as it was crash, if seems, if you're on it too long.

At least it's usable now.

Matt Casey

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I did a Factory Reset after Lollipop OTA to Nexus 7 (2012) which greatly improved performance so now it is running at least as good as before on Kit Kat. I'm very satisfied with having a two year old tablet running well with the latest software. The Factory Reset is easy to do and doesn't take that much time. I still don't have Google Now turned on so I'm not sure how much that would degrade performance.

I think anyone with a performance problem after Lollipop OTA should expect to do a Factory Reset first before thinking that Google needs to fix some unknown "bug".

anon(480526)

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying to get my storage to display properly with 5.0 and have factory reset a few times now. Notices that the apps it was optimizing was never the same number. Was always between 35 and 51. Went up to 77 at the highest point. Seemed a bit odd. Possibly a cause?

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I went all the way back to JellyBean 4.3.
5.0 was horrendous. Did a clean install, wiped cache, used Nova, disabled apps, factory wiped, nothing worked. Could not even use it as a desk clock. .
KitKat was only marginally better.
So, now back on 4.3 and tablet is sooooo smooth. I guess latest & greatest isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non