I dropped my new nexus 7...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was a sign from Lloyd the Android God that you should GET A CASE NOW for your precioussss.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It should be just fine. Mobile devices are built to withstand minor drops. Well, maybe not the Nexus 4, but that's another story.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
It should be just fine. Mobile devices are built to withstand minor drops. Well, maybe not the Nexus 4, but that's another story.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

asus does not build tablets with drops in mind. they never do damage testing. the plastic on kids mcdonalds toys are stronger than what asus uses. you'd think they'd fill their tablets internals with foam by now to at least absorb some of the impact and keep internals from bending or flexing.....nope. I really wish google went to someone else to make the nexus 7......asus has horrible build quality across all of their products. every asus motherboard i've ever owned, had problems, and a few of them fried out of nowhere, taking other components with it. every asus monitor i've ever seen, had at least some backlight bleed if you looked close enough, and ANY backlight bleed is 100% considered a manufacturing defect since it's ENTIRELY avoidable with ease. anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't know better or are soo used to asus products lack of quality control, that defective has become the norm.

asus is a big name, but it's really undeserving of its status in the electronics industry. they deliberately keep the defective products on shelves in hope of selling them off. asus doesn't really throw away its defective products, it still tries to push them wherever they can.

while the nexus 7 has great specs and a great price, the internal components are more fragile than the screen itself, and the screen is pretty fragile as it is. it's less like glass and more like paper thin plastic. if you look at the internal design, there's huge portions of empty spaces behind the screen. the screen is essentially on a frame that runs along the border of the screen. it's like this product was designed to break eventually, and probably was.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had my n71 for a year without a crack or a scuff. I had a minor drop of my ipad mini and the whole screen looked like a cobweb. ALL tablets need to be in cases or you are just risking damage if it hits the ground. I have ordered two cases from amazon for my new n72 and until then its stored in a zippered padded little bag. The new n7 is so thin and sleek its prone to damage even with a very minor drop.

asus does not build tablets with drops in mind. they never do damage testing. the plastic on kids mcdonalds toys are stronger than what asus uses. you'd think they'd fill their tablets internals with foam by now to at least absorb some of the impact and keep internals from bending or flexing.....nope. I really wish google went to someone else to make the nexus 7......asus has horrible build quality across all of their products. every asus motherboard i've ever owned, had problems, and a few of them fried out of nowhere, taking other components with it. every asus monitor i've ever seen, had at least some backlight bleed if you looked close enough, and ANY backlight bleed is 100% considered a manufacturing defect since it's ENTIRELY avoidable with ease. anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't know better or are soo used to asus products lack of quality control, that defective has become the norm.

asus is a big name, but it's really undeserving of its status in the electronics industry. they deliberately keep the defective products on shelves in hope of selling them off. asus doesn't really throw away its defective products, it still tries to push them wherever they can.

while the nexus 7 has great specs and a great price, the internal components are more fragile than the screen itself, and the screen is pretty fragile as it is. it's less like glass and more like paper thin plastic. if you look at the internal design, there's huge portions of empty spaces behind the screen. the screen is essentially on a frame that runs along the border of the screen. it's like this product was designed to break eventually, and probably was.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like you just have bad experiences with them huh? All my Asus products are built just fine. I range from the nexus 7 to a laptop to my desktop and monitor. No issues with any of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you just have bad experiences with them huh? All my Asus products are built just fine. I range from the nexus 7 to a laptop to my desktop and monitor. No issues with any of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ditto. I've had multiple tablets made by then, had a Netbook and currently have 3 of their monitors and an Ultrabook (UX31). I love their stuff, both Nexus tablets included.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If I purchased it at a Brick & Mortar and it did that I would replace it.. It should not have Rebooted as recessed as this power switch is.. and your unit landing on carpet.. If you ordered it online, you have to decide if you want to go through the hassle..

I would drop it on it's back again from like a foot off the carpet... if it reboots, it's out of here...... But that's ME
Good Luck with yours.

Tomct

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 was recently dropped, has small spider web cracks in the lower left screen, but when powers up, the screen is locked and does not respond to the normal slide motion to unlock. Any suggestions?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 was recently dropped, has small spider web cracks in the lower left screen, but when powers up, the screen is locked and does not respond to the normal slide motion to unlock. Any suggestions?

Factory reset via fastboot recovery maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

You have any idea how thick it would have to be to be able to use foam as an impact absorber to any real effect? It'd be like something from 2001 mate. It's not a car. It doesn't need crumple zones.

Not to mention, foam is a fantastic insulator. That's probably not what you want to put right on top of a battery surrounded by high-density silicon.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

Once the screen cracks, from my experience, it no longer responds to touch. I have successfully replaced a screen on one, but two others did not work even after replacing the screen (no, they all didn't belong to me). After my 4 year old grandson dropped the first one, I bought the second one with breakage protection. Staples replaced it, no questions asked and allowed me to keep the old. Replacing the screen and digitizer worked in that one, but didn't work in the two others. These were all the first generation N7's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress