New nexus 7 build quality?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My old N7 had screen lift and that is one thing that made me want to upgrade. No, my new N7 doesn't and the quality feels much more solid and compact, closer to how the N4 feels in your hands.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine is perfect! I didn't have the original N7 but I had the Xoom and its screen was warped. It wasn't bad and I ended up living with it but I'm glad to see I don't have to make any compromises with this one.

I haven't heard many complaints about the screen lift or overall build quality. Mostly dead pixels, some borking from updates, people taking it back because they wanted a 32gb, but nothing to be too concerned with.

Here's a good list of peoples problem http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2013/300213-list-nexus-7-2013-problems.html

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I took a blind dive in. I'm a long term Apple user (but not a "fanboy") and I've been intrigued by Android for a long time, because of the more open, customizable environment.

Anyway, I had a bunch of dollars left on a 7 year old Best Buy gift card, so took the plunge and ordered it and it's still on its way. Over the years I've always had SOME problem with every Apple portable device I've bought. So I'm just hoping for the best with my new Nexus 7. It seems to have an international warranty, so if something is wrong I hope I can get is fixed from Asus here in Japan.

On the positive side, since it's so inexpensive compared to Apple stuff I'm not really expecting that much. With Apple I get all nervous about the slightest defect because you pay such a premium, so you go crazy if everything is not perfect.

My message isn't contributing anything to the thread I guess. But I'm always concerned about device quality too - dead pixels, home buttons on my iPhones which have problems, etc. So I'll report back when mine arrives, hopefully any day now!

In the meantime, just saying hello.

doug

Brandorak

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
The build quality is quite good, especially for this price range. The materials feel solid and there is no flex in the body. The screen is fantastic! I did notice two stuck pixels on a completely black screen, but I can't see them with color or even a dark video. My Nexus 4 has 4 stuck pixels, but again can't see them due to the density.

@doug welcome to the forums and Android!

Posted via Android Central App

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased two 32gig models on the 26th. Been using them ever since. The build quality is definitely a step above the first generation nexus. I'm very, very pleased. It's a solid device. It's so very thin and light. I'm really impressed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the 16GB model. Which no one seems to have.. :( But the build quality is awesome! feels so good to hold in your hands since it's slimmer than the old nexus

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the 16GB model. Which no one seems to have.. :( But the build quality is awesome! feels so good to hold in your hands since it's slimmer than the old nexus

I have the 16gb. Don't worry about what others have, most still think bigger is better. I could barely justify the cost of the 16 but glad I did and am very Happy!

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not to be a contrarian but I don't completely agree with the high praise here. I think its relative in that for a $230 device build quality is very nice. There is in fact a bit of flex to the tablet if you twist it some and there is a little play if you press on the "X" in "NEXUS". Of course these aren't things that you do to a tablet except on purpose so it really wont be an issue to many. Just don't expect $400 quality in a device costing much less. That being said, it is certainly better than the first generation by a noticeable amount.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty pleased with the build quality, especially having just returned two Sero 7 Pros (first had flaky gps, 2nd had creaks and squeaks). I'm also on my 2nd N7 (auto brightness caused the screen to go nuts on first one).

2nd N7 has a tiny amount of flex, but under the S, rather than the X.

Can't wait to get a smart case, and a gel/tpu case, cause I just I just know I'll be dropping it.

Posted via Android Central App

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I had to exchange my 2012 N7 three times before I got one with no screen lift. I want to buy the 2013 but am scared of what issues will come up.

Nothing wrong w/ waiting a few weeks. It's not they're suddenly going to stop selling em! :)