Camera resolution very poor?

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Camera resolution seems very poor, tried using front and back camera at highest resolution but the pictures are very fuzzy and sort of dotted. Any one observed same?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Camera resolution seems very poor, tried using front and back camera at highest resolution but the pictures are very fuzzy and sort of dotted. Any one observed same?

I notice the same thing. I love my Nexus 7, but the camera quality seems extremely poor compared to my iPhone 5, even though they are both 5 megapixel front cameras. I also notice the fuzzy/dotted issue. I haven't tried outdoors yet, in extremely bright sunlight. But I suspect the lens system is just not great.

doug

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not the best camera out there, but your shooting conditions will somewhat dictate how they turn out. Pictures taken in low or poor lighting will generally result in grainier pictures as the camera cranks up the sensor's light sensitivity.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they really intended it as a photography camera as much as something useful for apps that do things like shopping assistance, quick reference shots, etc. Of course the one facing you is for video chat. The iPhone camera is about as high end as you're going to find in a smartphone, aside from a few exceptions, so comparing it is going to leave you wanting.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they really intended it as a photography camera as much as something useful for apps that do things like shopping assistance, quick reference shots, etc. Of course the one facing you is for video chat. The iPhone camera is about as high end as you're going to find in a smartphone, aside from a few exceptions, so comparing it is going to leave you wanting.

The nexus 7 is too large to carry around as a camera anyway. And with the poetic case on not really convenient to use as a camera. But I was curious.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
first, you've got to make sure you set it to the full 5MP resolution. by default, it is not set to that.

the camera doesn't just get some noise from dark shots, it also does it in bright shots as well. you've got to take control of your camera settings to get the best shots. by default, things like auto brightness are on and will adjust depending on the lighting...which depends on how much light is hitting the light sensor.

for example, if you're taking a picture of the sky. taking the shot from shade or direct sunlight will produce different results due to the auto settings.

you've just got to tinker with all the little settings in order to get the best shots. don't be afraid to change the mess with the exposure settings too. taking multiple pictures rapidly is also a good practice with even professional cameras. sometimes it's better to just take a video recording for a few seconds, moving around a bit but still focused on the target, then look through the video for an acceptable frame to screenshot.

another little trick to remove some of the noise is to set the camera resolution lower than maximum. it somewhat simulates having a bigger light sensor. sensors have an X amount of surface area with light catching nodes that turn light into data. it takes light from multiple nodes and averages them out to get the color that represents 1 pixel. smaller resolutions means more nodes averaged together to represent each pixel (i.e. more light). it's not like anyone you send a picture to is going to be viewing it at 100% on a normal sized screen. most likely they'll only be viewing it at well below 50% the actual size.

Last edited:

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Well I don't intend to compare it with iPhone or any other phone, but ? expect it to give meaningfull results for typical utility photography, like taking a quick photo of broucher etc... So far what I have seen is extremely poor results at 5mp

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't intend to compare it with iPhone or any other phone, but ? expect it to give meaningfull results for typical utility photography, like taking a quick photo of broucher etc... So far what I have seen is extremely poor results at 5mp

Tested few video calls via tango and Skype, noticed even weaker picture quality. I would think this can not be used for attending official video meetings via lync.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Not that bad. I read a review shared by enolsoft on Facebook. It said:
The original Nexus 7 had a front-facing 1.2 megapixel camera but no rear camera, which was not particularly well received. This is now rectified, with a 5-megapixel rear camera complementing the 1.2-megapixel unit on the front. Photo quality is nothing special and the main camera has no flash.

Yes, maybe not that bad. I just took these two photos at the same time in the same lighting, one with my Nexus 7 and the other with my iPhone 5. Both have 5-megapixel rear cameras:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rjub2jxxej2638p/2GitakBD0e

While the Nexus photo looks a bit noisier to me, the photo is brighter than the iPhone 5 camera, and I believe the white balance is much better and the colors are truer to what is actually there.

doug

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95