Unable to sign into Wifi Network

gamesstate

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I have a Nexus 7 (2013).
I tried today connecting to a Hotel Network, one that requires you to sign in, put a password before using it.
As soon as I connect to the network, the little notifications that says Sign into Network briefly appears, and then disappears, leaving me no way to sign into the network.
I try to open Chrome, check email but nothing, I don't get connected to the network.
Any ideas on how to fix that.

On the same hotel, I joined the network with my phone - Nexus 4 - and was asked to join and sign in without any problems.

Thanks in advance

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try forgetting the network (in Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wifi, and long pressing the hotel network). Then select it again and try to log back in.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this from time to time, and have never figured out why it happens. On your N7, after turning on wifi and selecting the hotel network, what happens when you open Chrome? Do you get a blank screen? Try going to any website like Google or NY Times. Do you get anything at all?

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
When you log into a hotel network, your browser is supposed to launch for you to sign in and agree to the hotel's terms. I find that a lot of times, the browser doesn't automatically launch. When I open Chrome, though, it's at the page for me to sign in and agree. Until you do that step, you can't get anywhere.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, the wifi is not secured - right? If yes, connect to the open wi-fi, then start up your browser (e.g. Chrome). Then go to any webpage (e.g. type the address Yahoo). This should automatically re-direct you to the hotel's website giving you further instructions (enter password, agree to terms, etc.). After you do this, then your e-mail app and regular browsing should work.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
My experience with hotel and other public networks that require either a sign in or acceptance of terms is you need to open the browser and sometimes the password screen will appear and sometimes it will not. If it does not appear try navigating to a web site (like cnn.com) and this usually will bring up the screen you need. Sometimes takes a few seconds or more than one try. This happens on my PC as well as Android devices. If I get a connection but still no data, I always open the browser expecting to have to sign in or accept something.

Palindromesque

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, the wifi is not secured - right? If yes, connect to the open wi-fi, then start up your browser (e.g. Chrome). Then go to any webpage (e.g. type the address Yahoo). This should automatically re-direct you to the hotel's website giving you further instructions (enter password, agree to terms, etc.). After you do this, then your e-mail app and regular browsing should work.

I am having the same problem as the creator of this thread, but I am on my home wifi. I get the same 'sign in to network' popup that disappears before I can do anything. I am able to use chrome and other internet browsers with no issue, but youtube and other internet-using apps do not function.

My phone is the only device experiencing this problem. All other devices have flawless connection.

Because your solution requires chrome to be affected by the problem, your solution specifically does not work for me. Do you have any other suggestions?

My device is an LG tribute dynasty.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same problem as the creator of this thread, but I am on my home wifi. I get the same 'sign in to network' popup that disappears before I can do anything. I am able to use chrome and other internet browsers with no issue, but youtube and other internet-using apps do not function.

My phone is the only device experiencing this problem. All other devices have flawless connection.

Because your solution requires chrome to be affected by the problem, your solution specifically does not work for me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi, welcome to AC !
What android version the phone on ? Have you tried safe mode ?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

do you only have problems on home network or do you have the same problem on other networks? if only home network, try a power cycle on the router

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Other devices work, so it's not the router. (But if he has WiFi and mobile data both enabled, the YouTube app may be using mobile data. Or it may be getting responses it should never expect.)

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Other devices work, so it's not the router. (But if he has WiFi and mobile data both enabled, the YouTube app may be using mobile data. Or it may be getting responses it should never expect.)

it makes absolutely no difference if other devices work, sometimes one just don't get connected for whatever reason.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree -- I've seen plenty of situations where only one specific device is having problems on a wi-fi network.