Nexus 7: wifi issue

minix

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My N7 is WiFi only.

If you are referring to my GNex you seem to be missing the point. I'm not talking about the minute it changes over. I'm talking about it never connects. If you don't have the problem you can't understand but it's similar to how your home router might lose connection to the internet but you are still connected to the router except that in this case the router is fine. Or you are on 3g or 4g then get home have it switch over to WiFi and half an hour later when you finish changing clothes, all your apps tell you you don't have a signal even though it looks like you do but really nothing is happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

same issue with my nexus 7 it is connected but no internet , can't surf the net, play store..etc..
Hard reset and factory reset on nexus 7 did not solve my problem
changing my router to a different router solve my problem.
and using back the router with has a previous problem on this tablet and its successfully connected.
maybe there is a lockup bugs on nexus 7 wifi.

minix

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I Solve my home wifi problem recently its something to to do on IP address, change DHCP to static on nexus wifi setting.]

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How do you get to that option?
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> long-press on your SSID -> Modify network -> select the 'Show advanced options' checkbox -> change 'IP settings' from DHCP to Static.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. Also seems to be helping with battery life, probably because things are actually able to make a data connection instead of constantly polling.

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

Yeo KH

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had this same problem since I upgraded to 4.4.3... When through all the suggestions on this thread without any luck. Finally, tracked the problem to Juice Defender... Seems like a compatibility issue. Once I disable Juice Defender, the problem of the Wi-Fi not automatically connecting back to network upon Nexus waking up from sleep is gone. I figure you should check any battery saving application which controls the Wi-Fi and disable it to resolve the issue.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had this same problem since I upgraded to 4.4.3... When through all the suggestions on this thread without any luck. Finally, tracked the problem to Juice Defender... Seems like a compatibility issue. Once I disable Juice Defender, the problem of the Wi-Fi not automatically connecting back to network upon Nexus waking up from sleep is gone. I figure you should check any battery saving application which controls the Wi-Fi and disable it to resolve the issue.

Juice defender also causes the WiFi to get stuck turning off or on.

Pedro Alfradique

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I Fixed this wifi problem in my nexus 7 with the program "Nexus Root Toolkit". You can download it from here: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.4 | WugFresh. Here is a compact guide for an instalation without wiping all your data from device: How to flash Android 4.4.4 without wiping & losing root . In my problem, i had Android kitKat 4.4.3 Rooted installed. So i've updated in "Flashstock + Unroot", Downloaded the Google Image of 4.4.4 Version and then, after the update, i've pressed "Root" and seen the program do all the work for my root. Hope It helps you guys !

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So you are now on 4.4.4? Switching to static IP seems to have cleared up the problem for me on 4.4.2.

Sent from my "no longer 120° or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
My friend had this issue, we fixed it by going into settings / security and checked "power button instantly locks" it cleared the issue and the wi-fi no longer drops off.

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a SERIOUS problem. The same problem in fact. The suggestions that suggested things like toggling Airplane mode didn't help.

I was on either 4.2 something or 4.3. I had put off installing any updates for some time. For precisely this reason. There are only so many ulcers I can stand.

I felt lucky yesterday, and installed the most recent updates I had. I am on 4.4.3, and not yet approved for 4.4.4. I'm on a 2013 Nexus, but I also have a 2012.

Soon (less than an hour) after installing the updates, the Wi-Fi died.

It SAYS it is connected, but nothing can be done. No surfing, Google Play, etc
It behaves as if it is not connected.

I thought it might be the Wi-Fi, but another Android device worked just fine. So it IS the tablet. I will call Google Help again tonight, but I already tried wiping the cache, and that helped the temporary power drain I developed yesterday afternoon (while it slept for 7 hours, it lost 17%). Wiping the cache did nothing for the Wi-Fi problem.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Gnr2: How do you do the switch with the static IP?
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> long-press the SSID of your router -> Edit -> check the 'Advanced settings' checkbox -> change the DHCP setting to Static IP and then enter the IP address that you want to use.

Be sure it's on the same subnet as the rest of your devices (usually 192.168.0.xxx) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 if it prompts for one.
And of course, don't use an IP address already in use by a different device on your network.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> long-press the SSID of your router -> Edit -> check the 'Advanced settings' checkbox -> change the DHCP setting to Static IP and then enter the IP address that you want to use.

Be sure it's on the same subnet as the rest of your devices (usually 192.168.0.xxx) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 if it prompts for one.
And of course, don't use an IP address already in use by a different device on your network.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll need to check all of this myself. My N 7 works great now, but my GNex now has the same issues.

fizzingwhizbee

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Facing the same issue. My eight month old Nexus 7 was working fine till a month ago but now connecting to wifi is a major issue. It is showing connected but data flow is zero. Toggled airplane mode etc and tried several tips given here but no use. Now trying a factory reset as last recourse.

I'd also noticed that even when tab was connecting to wifi, the connection was v poor when physically further away from router. Though I don't face this with my laptop or Android phone. What could be the reason?

I have a SERIOUS problem. The same problem in fact. The suggestions that suggested things like toggling Airplane mode didn't help.

I was on either 4.2 something or 4.3. I had put off installing any updates for some time. For precisely this reason. There are only so many ulcers I can stand.

I felt lucky yesterday, and installed the most recent updates I had. I am on 4.4.3, and not yet approved for 4.4.4. I'm on a 2013 Nexus, but I also have a 2012.

Soon (less than an hour) after installing the updates, the Wi-Fi died.

It SAYS it is connected, but nothing can be done. No surfing, Google Play, etc
It behaves as if it is not connected.

I thought it might be the Wi-Fi, but another Android device worked just fine. So it IS the tablet. I will call Google Help again tonight, but I already tried wiping the cache, and that helped the temporary power drain I developed yesterday afternoon (while it slept for 7 hours, it lost 17%). Wiping the cache did nothing for the Wi-Fi problem.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Fizzingwhizbee - the trick to the static IP change is that you need to make the change WHILE the Wifi is connected so basically right when it connects. A factory reset typically hadn't helped anyone that I've seen in all these threads about the problem.

My tablet is rooted and I recently installed a new ROM which of course changes all your settings. For the first time in months my wifi dropped and I realized I hadn't changed it back from DCHP to static.

I don't even know what DCHP is but for some reason KitKat doesn't like it.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Facing the same issue. My eight month old Nexus 7 was working fine till a month ago but now connecting to wifi is a major issue. It is showing connected but data flow is zero. Toggled airplane mode etc and tried several tips given here but no use. Now trying a factory reset as last recourse.

I'd also noticed that even when tab was connecting to wifi, the connection was v poor when physically further away from router. Though I don't face this with my laptop or Android phone. What could be the reason?

Has anything changed with the router? Have you tried power cycling the router?

If the router looks good, perhaps it is the Nexus. I don't know how you are comparing signal strength across devices, but if you think that is an issue perhaps the antenna lead was coming loose and has become disconnected. Sometime just pushing on the back cover to ensure it is seated properly is enough to fix that issue.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know what DCHP is but for some reason KitKat doesn't like it.
Long story: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Short story: DHCP allows your router to provide IP addresses (and associated information like DNS server name/IP address) to the devices trying to connect to it, without the user having to manually configure those parameters, which is what you have to do when you select a Static IP address.

You should never have to utilize a Static IP address unless the router is messed up (or there's something wrong with the router configuration), or if there's some problem with the client device. It baffles me that people often resort to this, but I guess if it works for them...