Nexus 7: wifi issue

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Today this has happened several times. When the nexus screen is off and when I start to use it again, wifi will not start and I can't force it to. It is like it is disabled...I have to restart the nexus to get it to work. Any idea what causes this?

Posted via Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Today this has happened several times. When the nexus screen is off and when I start to use it again, wifi will not start and I can't force it to. It is like it is disabled...I have to restart the nexus to get it to work. Any idea what causes this?

I think there is a setting in the advanced wifi settings to disable wifi when sleeping or leave it on all the time. Did younchange this setting?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Wifi should automatically restart when you wake up the tablet. If this just started recently, have you installed anything new?

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The setting has always been to turn it off while sleeping but it has always worked where it automatically turns back on when waking up. I have not installed *anything* new lately nor changed any settings!!! That's what is so bizarre!

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I might mention that I was on a flight last weekend though where I did put the tablet into airplane mode. Of course its out of airplane mode now but while on the flight it was in airplane mode

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just an update...I did install the wifi fixer and it 'debugged' it when it happened again when I tried to reassociate it. It said it was a 'known' issue. So, still not fixed.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Install Wifi Analyzer. Take a look at your signal and see if some other signal is on the same channel. If you live near other people it could be that some bought a new router and it is stomping on your signal.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem. Happens all the time. It will show connected, but no data movement. You don't need to install anything, just turn airplane mode on, then immediately off and you reconnect. Very annoying but you can set it up so you can do it from the Quick Settings pull down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm suddenly having this issue as well. It shows I'm connected but I can't be on the net. I have to manually turn off then turn on the WiFi on the tablet.

Very annoying indeed.

Is there a fix? Does someone know what is actually wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I changed my settings to turn off WiFi when the tablet is sleep which means when I turn on my tablet, it will wake up the WiFi automatically and I don't have to do the toggle thing. Only problem is I don't get any notifications or email updates during the time the tablet is sleep. But now, even while I'm using the tablet, the WiFi will just doze off again, for lack of a better term.

tneil

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with WI-FI until this morning.
I did a factory reset and have not had any WI-FI disconnects so far (about 12 hrs)

Shorty007

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've also WiFi issues on my nexus 7 2013 and on my nexus 5. There should be a fix in 4.4.3 I read...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm certainly not doubting there could be a wifi bug, but are you guys sure your router hasn't just run out of ip addresses to assign.. Sometimes only a set number of dhcp addresses are handed out. When you awaken the device is the wifi enabled or disabled? Can you see other surrounding wifi networks and yours? I've never had any issues with 4.4.2 wifi on my 7 or Moto X luckily. My wifi is set to disable when my nexus7 screen is off. It always comes back on without a problem.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm certainly not doubting there could be a wifi bug, but are you guys sure your router hasn't just run out of ip addresses to assign.. Sometimes only a set number of dhcp addresses are handed out. When you awaken the device is the wifi enabled or disabled? Can you see other surrounding wifi networks and yours? I've never had any issues with 4.4.2 wifi on my 7 or Moto X luckily. My wifi is set to disable when my nexus7 screen is off. It always comes back on without a problem.

The issue is that it is "connected" to a network but it really isn't. What I mean by that is this isn't a connection issue. The Nexus shows that it is connected to a WiFi network but there is no data being transmitted until you reset the connection in some way. Since you constantly turns yours off and on, you might not see it. But I have mine set that way and it still dies after a while when I'm using the tablet, but not necessarily transmitting data.

I just upgraded my Sprint Galaxy Nexus to 4.4.2 and I'm having the same issue with my actual data connection. If it switches from 4g to 3g or data to WiFi, the data flow just stops. I had to turn WiFi off and set my phone to 3g to stop the transitions and thus the problem.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Does the same thing happen on other wifi networks? If you switch connection modes do you expect a Youtube video or something like that to have a seamless transition and no interruption in the video?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My N7 is WiFi only.

If you are referring to my GNex you seem to be missing the point. I'm not talking about the minute it changes over. I'm talking about it never connects. If you don't have the problem you can't understand but it's similar to how your home router might lose connection to the internet but you are still connected to the router except that in this case the router is fine. Or you are on 3g or 4g then get home have it switch over to WiFi and half an hour later when you finish changing clothes, all your apps tell you you don't have a signal even though it looks like you do but really nothing is happening.

minix

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi New nexus 7 user with wifi problem, after 7 days of use my wifi is connected but has no internet . but my other device has internet connection . try resetting my nexus 7 and my router. do everything wifi off reconnect etc....... still the problem persist so i decided to do a factory reset ,hard reset etc... its say its connected but no internet .

remain stock on Welcome Google acct. set up for several hrs after factory reset because of no Wifi connection . so I decided to change my wifi router(Generic tomato USB NAS router) with my old TP Link router. finally its successfully connected with my old TP link router . log in with my Google acct successfully and automatically instal all my downloaded apps on Google play store. recently I decided to use back my Generic USB Tomato router , And my Nexus 7 connect internet without a problem.

I think there is a lock up Bug on Nexus 7 Wifi when using other router specially in hot spot area.

or maybe it has to do with sync with other android device using same Google acct. with wifi incompatible setting. I have never problem with my other android phone before including kindle fire with this issue .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez