Nexus 7 (2013) Helium backup

twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Does this app really work to back up app data on the nexus 7, it has mixed reviews on the play store as some say yes and some say no, just wondering what you guys think.
My nexus is not rooted.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Helium backup

Yes it will work without root but I believe without root you have to have your device plugged into your computer whenever your reboot so it can sync.

If your rooted this isn't necessary.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It has mixed reviews for good reason - for the most part it does work, allowing you to backup/restore the apps and their data (or just the data if you prefer), but I've run into these two main issues:
- there are some apps where it just won't backup the data (it identifies them during the backup so at least you know up front that you'll be out of luck)
- there are some apps where it won't restore the data that you think it successfully backed up (this is a much more insidious problem, and there's no way to tell except by experience which ones will have this problem)
There are also some issues with the UI, the biggest being that if you choose to backup the app itself, you have to be quick on the trigger finger to select that you also want to backup the app data - that's an additional prompt that appears and goes away pretty quickly after the backup starts, and if you're not looking for it you can easily miss it, ending up with no data to restore.

The free version is quite usable so you should experiment with it before plunking down your hard-earned $$$ on the full version.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

twdawson

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

The reason I am asking is that I want to get the wife the newer nexus 7 and need to transfer all her game data over.

You would think android would have a way of doing this but hopefully they will in the next version.

Posted via Android Central App

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Why's that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I used it to back up my apps and games onto my Nexus 7 2013 but they weren't actually backed up. I even copied the backup file for each app and game to my PC and I was never able to restore them. Please make sure you find a different solution - I don't want you disappointed like I was.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App

novahob

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I used it to back up my apps and games onto my Nexus 7 2013 but they weren't actually backed up. I even copied the backup file for each app and game to my PC and I was never able to restore them. Please make sure you find a different solution - I don't want you disappointed like I was.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App

I've used it to do restores on the same device (different devices too) and also transfer app data/apk from my n7 2012 to my n7 2013, and it worked well from my experience.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
For what it is worth I dont believe Helium suppotrs multiple user profiles. So if you have more than one profile on your device you may not be able to back them up.