2nd Gen Nexus 7 or iPad Mini?

RaginCajun2OI8

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, I need to get a new tablet and I am stuck. Phone-wise, I am a BlackBerry user, so I don't need to worry about match devices. My current tablet is a Nook Color from 2012 that is seeing the end of its days. Essentially, I would like to know which would be better, I plan to use this device for:

-Watching Netflix/Hulu/Youtube
-Light web browsing
-Social networking
-Read ebooks

Thanks in advance! It would also be a Wi-Fi only version too.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
You're gonna get biased advice here. That said d, I love my Nexus 7 2013, and having played with my MIL's iPad Mini Retina, I was not impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i have used ipad and nexus, the only thing that ipad has that is unique is that if you use some karaoke apps, ipad can instantly mix your voice with the music as if you are a professional singer. android system can only play music in your headphone without mixing your sound. you will have to listen to the mixed product after you finish singing.

other than that, there is nothing unique about ipad. and it is way expensive.

most big famous apps all have android version, so you haven othing to worry about that.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Nook Color is Android-based, so perhaps you already have some investment in the Android ecosystem? If not, it doesn't really matter which device you get as long as:
- all of the apps/services that you are interested in are available on the platform of your choice
- you don't mind being tied to that ecosystem in the future
- the cost differential for the device (and potentially the apps) is not an issue
- you're happy with the selection of accessories available for the device you choose

I'd own Apple products just so I could help others, if not for the fact that I could never afford the cost differential for their proprietary products. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I own both, and can only tell you from personal experience that I lean more towards my Nexus 7 as a daily driver! The only major thing that I like about the Mini is the size, and it was also the main reaon for me buying the Mini.....I am not a fan or IOS 7 in general, also not a fan at all of the notification system in IOS7..... So all in all what I would chose is the Nexus 7, but personally hope for a Nexus 8.4 to be released soon!

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I gave 2..yes 2 Nexus 7 2013s a test drive. I had the horrible reboot bug. It was so bad it was unusable. :( I'm just glad I tried it out before I left for my deployment. I wanted to love the Nexus 7. I will say when it was on, it worked GREAT but it progressively got worse. I traded my iPad mini in towards a Nexus 7. I ended up taking my 1st Nexus back for a second one and it did the same thing so I took it back and got an iPad mini. It works. Is the interface as fun and customizable as the Nexus? No. But it works. I needed to be sure I could SEE my family while I'm over here :)

Now when I get back to the states I plan to trade my iPhone in for an HTC M8! The LG G3 is a little too big for me! I can't wait to go back to Android phone wise!!! My partner has a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. She loves it. It's a beast of a tablet :)

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Both devices have their pros and cons of course. It's great that you listed what you're going to be using them for.

iPad Mini 2 has a bigger screen and that 4:3 aspect which I personally prefer to the aspect ratio of 16:10 found in the N7 as it's far more comfortable to watch movies/videos, at least for me, probably because I've been using an iPad for quite a while.

But then again, you're getting a much bigger price tag on the iPad not to mention it will become outdated much sooner because Apple does not optimize its OS for older devices and they become slow.

Google is quite the opposite, they optimize their updates for every device, so your Nexus will be as fast as ever. Not to mention that with Android L, Google is making a switch to ART runtime, so your device will be even faster with updates. It's exactly the other way around for Apple.

Both are great devices though and will fully suit your needs. Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38