N7 2013 won't turn on

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I posted this on another thread but thought I should also post it as an independent thread as well.
I got the 5.0.1 upgrade a month ago on my N7 2013. Worked great until a few days ago. I was reading Kindle on it late into the night and then forgot to plug it back in and ran the battery down, so I plugged it in to the charger the next day and left it alone for a day. Next day I go to power it up and nothing! Tried holding down power button, then power button and volume down together for as long as 3 minutes - nothing. What do I do now?

Posted via the Android Central App

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
have you confirm that your tablet may not charging at all due to faulty charger? That can happen that the tablet is not charged at all because the charger is broken.

so first step is to confirm that the charger can charge, then if the charger is not the issue, then you may have a bigger problem.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Replied to your other post. But try plugging it to your computer/laptop via USB port. For whatever reason, some users said it'll charge up that way when your device is completely dead.

Daymien Dellinger

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
How do you determine exactly WHAT is broken in the tablet? Is it the charging port, the connection to the battery, the space between the battery and the rest of the insides, or the battery itself? Do I use the eeny-meeny-miney-mo method, put the potential suspects in a bag and pick one, or what? Or just buy a whole another tablet and cross my fingers, hoping the same problem doesn't reoccur? I don't have that much money or time to put into this. I know it's not the charger, because I've used it before on this tablet AND on my cell phone for almost a year now and not had a problem.

Last edited:

661omar

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
How do you determine exactly WHAT is broken in the tablet? Is it the charging port, the connection to the battery, the space between the battery and the rest of the insides, or the battery itself? Do I use the eeny-meeny-miney-mo method, put the potential suspects in a bag and pick one, or what? Or just buy a whole another tablet and cross my fingers, hoping the same problem doesn't reoccur? I don't have that much money or time to put into this. I know it's not the charger, because I've used it before on this tablet AND on my cell phone for almost a year now and not had a problem.

I would offer that the eeny-meeny-miney-mo method might not be the most prudent way to proceed.

Also, the fact that you have used that particular charger for a year with no problems does not mean it will continue to work forever with no problems. But if you would like to overlook the possibility that it could be the culprit, then you would have to consider that your connector on the tablet is bad, or that the battery is no longer charging (or a number of other possibilities) at which point and in terms of repair costs, you might start wishing it was the charger that went bad!

In fact, personally, and before I would check the chargrer itself, I think I might as well try a different outlet altogether... Those too go bad sometimes too, ya know!

Good luck!

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Although I have multiple chargers for my android smartphones, I only have only charger for my tablet, and I didn't think they were interchangeable. I will try plugging in the USB to the computer. Thanks.

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I ordered a replacement "official" charging cord for my N7 2013 from Amazon. It has now been charged 24 hours and still will not turn on. Tried holding down the power button and volume down button together for 30 seconds, then tried 60, then even longer... nothing. Please, there must be something else to try. Am I to just give up now?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It has now been charged 24 hours
When you say that it's been charged do you mean that while it was charging you saw the battery graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity?
If you disconnect the charger and reconnect it do you see that battery graphic?
If neither of those things is occurring it sounds like you have a defective micro-USB port.
If you do see the charging activitiy but it won't turn on then it's time for repair/replacement (could be something as simple as the Power switch malfunctioning or as complex as a mainboard swap).

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The official charger is not really necessary. I have yet to use the original charger because I prefer the length of my PlayBook charger. It's like 6 feet and 1.7 amps. Almost as powerful. But I have charged the N7 2013 on a BlackBerry curve charger at 700 milliamp

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the unit is on a charger and has been for a while. Hold just the power button alone down for 10-20 seconds and see if it powers up.