Nexus 7 2013 Touch Screen Not Working

Velocity

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 2013 since they came out and just recently the touch screen has slowly diminished to the point very few areas on the screen respond to touch. The bluetooth still works great so I've been using it with a mouse. Now it's getting phantom touches which make it completely unusable due to apps opening and the screen sliding around.

I would like to get it fixed but I don't want the drive wiped. My kids have a few games on there that don't back up to the cloud and can't easily be moved off the device.

Replacement screens cost around $50 and a bezel is $30 (so I don't have to go through using hair dryers and other crazy techniques to get it back together). Before I spend the $80, has anyone had any experience with this? Is it even the screen or is it another hardware problem inside? If I send it to Asus for repair can I ask that the drive not be wiped?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try a tool like Helium http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup to make a backup of your apps/data so that you don't have to worry about the device being wiped at Asus. I doubt that they would honor such a request; it's probably standard policy to wipe devices to prevent any software issues from presenting as hardware flaws.

The last time I tried to replace an iPod Touch display using hairdryers, etc, it convinced me that either I'm not cut out for that kind of work or it's more cost effective to replace the whole display. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45