OTA for Marshmallow 6.0 starts today!!

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The security/prep update came for me too this afternoon, hopefully the 6.0 OTA will be close behind. Might've tried to do the sideload thing but I have the LTE version so I don't know if it would be exactly the same, plus tonyr6 mentioned it needed version LMY48M and I had LMY48P before this afternoon's update.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Is your build number LMY48T with the security update?

Posted via Android Central App
If it is you can't sideload the OTA thanks to Google. Only a factory image which erases everything will work. Of course since Google backup service if you can even call it a backup service only backs up your dated wallpaper and dated layout homescreen then I hope you don't have any important game saves or app data because you can't back it up. Don't tell me about third party backup apps if it requires "root" then it means a "factory reset" before you can even use it. It is like fixing up a old car but the only way to save the engine is to trash the entire car and buy a new one.

Since I don't have any game saves "number one reason why I don't buy games on Android" and I do backup my layout on Nova Launcher. All other apps I just have to log into again and reconfig I think I will factory reset and sideload this thing. I hate it but I don't want to wait till next year to get this update. Already last night Lollirot started to drain the battery 1% around every 15 minutes that only a reboot fixed.

Last edited:

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Success. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit which I never had any luck on my Nexus 6 and just sideloaded the update no problem. This is because my bootloader was already unlocked since my Nexus 7 is no longer under warranty. I told it to keep my data even though it gave me a warning.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Obviously the OTA updates* aren't out yet still... Even though they said it was 😑

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Obviously the OTA links aren't out yet still... Even though they said it was 😑

Yes they are, I sideloaded it onto mine and my wife's WiFi versions today using adb. No root and didn't unlock the bootloader.
Worked great and both tabs are running smoothly.☺

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes they are, I sideloaded it onto mine and my wife's WiFi versions today using adb. No root and didn't unlock the bootloader.
Worked great and both tabs are running smoothly.☺

The images are available, yes, but the Over The Air updates that one downloads and applies directly (that is to say, not by sideloading) obviously aren't.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Will I get the OTA 6.0 update if I am still on Kit Kat? Right now I checked system update and it wants to download 5.0.2. Lollipop ruined my Nexus 7 2012 and I don't want to do that to my 7 2013.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Will I get the OTA 6.0 update if I am still on Kit Kat? Right now I checked system update and it wants to download 5.0.2. Lollipop ruined my Nexus 7 2012 and I don't want to do that to my 7 2013.

You have to update to the current OS in order to get 6.0

You should be fine to update them all. The latest is 5.1.1 with multiple security patches. It's easy, just a lil time and make sure your device is charged 😉

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The images are available, yes, but the Over The Air updates that one downloads and applies directly (that is to say, not by sideloading) obviously aren't.

The OTA files are available. Android Central has had the links to them since the 5th of this month. ☺ That's where I got them. You do have to sideload them, but they are the upgrade OTA files. I didn't lose any files or settings.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The OTA files are available. Android Central has had the links to them since the 5th of this month. ☺ That's where I got them. You do have to sideload them, but they are the upgrade OTA files. I didn't lose any files or settings.

As Jack Wolfe said, those are the images, not the direct OTA.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
As Jack Wolfe said, those are the images, not the direct OTA.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA links are starting to arrive — here they are! | Android Central

The article above shows OTA links. After the list of OTA links is this:

"Of course if you're impatient you can always go with the factory image route, which gives you the option of either starting fresh or upgrading in place. Either way, you'll want to check out our comprehensive guide on flashing and updating your Nexus device."

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
-- Lots of stuff that continues to miss the point entirely --

Yes, yes, we know about the links to the OTA images that require sideloading. The rest of us have been talking about the actual direct OTA push of the update to our devices that we are still patiently waiting for. That's what Over The Air means.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, yes, we know about the links to the OTA images that require sideloading. The rest of us have been talking about the actual direct OTA push of the update to our devices that we are still patiently waiting for. That's what Over The Air means.

Thank you!

Last edited:

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I understand what OTA means. The files that are referenced in the article are not images but the update files that will be pushed to our devices as stated in the article. Hope this helps you understand what I'm saying. ☺

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
LMY48T. OTA on our wifi Nexus 7, it took four installs, was it working up to it? But finally os updates stopped showing up. USA North Carolina.