Google Nexus 9 Flex in the back of the tablet?

lamb2471

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have my shiny new Nexus 9 that I picked up from Best Buy about an hour ago. Anybody else with a Nexus 9 yet notice that there is some give in the back? There is a noticeable amount of flex on the back of my device. By this, I mean I can press the back and there is some give before it presses against what I presume to be the battery.

Need to figure out if I should try to swap this thing out.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Flex in the back of the tablet?

Why don't you go and try one out at the store? Most tablets have a 'give' on their back covers if they're plastic, but if this one is bad enough it might be a defective unit, or just an 'issue' for all of them.

lamb2471

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Well, I'm not at the store at the moment, and I thought this would be a good place to ask if other people are having the same experience. It is very noticeable because I feel the back flexing under my fingers when I hold it.

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Some of the early hands on videos mentioned a hollow spot in the back.

Posted from my Nexus 7

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm not getting that, but then again I have not pressed that hard

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

What I mean is that all those reviews did so with a non-final version of the software. Things might have improved, might be worse. But the truth is all these reviews might be different than what real users of the final version experience.

Take the Moto360 for example. Early reviews said it couldn't last half a day. But come the first update, and now it lasts a day. People who might still be reading the original reviews from sites that didn't bother to update theirs, might be left thinking that this is a watch that has poor battery life, and while it still doesn't have stellar one, it's not as bad as it was with the previous software. Same thing MIGHT happen with this tablet, which is why at least AC is waiting to give their verdict on this one.

lamb2471

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I notice the gizmodo reviewer noted the same thing I'm seeing. I don't see how they're running around drumming up the premium feel of the tablet with this flex in the back! They (Google, HTC?) could still certainly learn a thing or two from Apple about quality tablet builds at this point, especially now that we're approaching the same price point.

That being said, I probably won't return this. I'm upgrading from a 2013 Nexus 7 that will go to my girlfriend.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I guess for those planning on putting it in a case the flex will not matter unless insides can move around.

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I have the same issue with mine. It's quite disappointing. It kind of sucks sitting here asking myself if this is something I can live with. I hope I have a defective model and will be able to return it for one that is solid. I can't imagine that this kind of flex would be deemed acceptable from a planned build quality standpoint. I can't switch my grip on it without feeling the back flex.

If you have the same issue please chime in. Is this isolated to just a couple of us?

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

No flex in the one I just picked up, Black 16gb but it doesn't seem to be getting the update and until it gets this and reboots I don't seem to be able to do anything.
Maybe the server is overloaded with new equipment trying to connect.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Are people really complaining about this? I mean are you kidding me? Do you guys feel the need to FIND things wrong with EVERYTHING? Yeah, So the back flexes a little bit, Does it effect how the tablet performs? I doubt it, Plus once a case is on it, You'll forget it was even a problem.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

It's always something. :) many gadget folks are highly OCD it seems. (Myself included) ;)

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Um.. Stop flexing the darn tablet.. Its not a rubber band.

IPad air 2 bends like a twig... What do you expect?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Are people really complaining about this? I mean are you kidding me? Do you guys feel the need to FIND things wrong with EVERYTHING? Yeah, So the back flexes a little bit, Does it effect how the tablet performs? I doubt it, Plus once a case is on it, You'll forget it was even a problem.

Well if you're buying a new tablet that's supposed to compete in the high-end range, you wouldn't want to to have that flex or any issues at all.

Does it affect the software or how the tablet functions? No it doesn't, but then again neither does the metal rim around the tablet, so you could argue there's no reason for Google/HTC to have that either. Fact of the matter is that the metal rim, and things like having a really solid feeling device (with no flex) add to the impression that the tablet is high end and worthy of your money.

It's not a huge issue where Google needs to recall units, but it would have been nicer if there was no flex on the back.

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Wow. It's like I came on here and blasted Android. I'm simply trying to figure out if others are having the same issue and whether or not I have a defective model. The plastic backing on mine sits at least an eighth of an inch off the chassis beneath it. I'm not sitting there pushing on it just to push on it. I can't even handle mine without noticing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo