Nexus 9, overhyped flop

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It's a few days after the release of Nexus 9 and I've read my fair share of reviews of it and so far I'm disappointed. Seems like the star of the show is Android 5.0 and not the tablet itself. I was surprised when I saw the plastic back, don't get me wrong I do like it on my Nexus 5, but when we're looking at a €389 price tag for 16GB and €489 for 32GB on a tablet, where is that aluminum HTC design? Storage options, now that's a widely discussed topic among consumers. How come the new Nexus 6 has a 64GB option, but not the the Nexus 9? I'm completely fine with a 16GB Nexus 5, but when it comes to tablets, 32GB is the absolute minimum and 64GB is probably the sweet spot for me. There's always the option of an OTG USB cable, but it gets quite inconvenient when traveling which is when I use my tablets at most. Overheating seems to be quite common as well which was never present on an iPad.

Most of these problems are present in the nexus 7, but it was a €229 tablet that would compete with tablets twice as expensive. N9 price much is closer to the iPad's and other premium flagship tablets, so I can't help but compare the two. At this point, I don't even know towards who is this tablet marketed.

What are your opinions on Google's new tablet?

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The reviews, at least the negative ones, are unfortunate. Part of the problem is Google, giving the reviewer is a half-baked software. The recent update solved 95% of the problems that reviewers talked about. Other reviewers who understood that, gave outstanding reviews of the tablet. The hardware is what it is, the aluminum frame is nice, the screen is nice, in the plastic back with its soft grip, feels great in the hand. It isn't all the aluminum, like an iPad but is also $100 cheaper. For me it performs better than my iPad air, and Android 5.0 is ridiculously smooth. This is the first operating system from Google that I think can beat Apple in the tablet space . the tablet is great, great price, and will get better with updates.

Apple shouldn't be the only company that gets a pass on quality control and software bugs. Ipad air suffered from a yellow screen, and buggy software. My air now has a whole host of new problems with ios 8.

Posted via the Android Central App

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
How is it over hype flop? I see a lot of positive reviews about the device as well as some negative. Go look at any device in any forum and you will see many issues with the device. I have yet to see a manufacturer release a product without issues.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Its certainly not a premium device by any means.... If it was then last years Nexus 5 must have been cutting edge.

If it was $100 cheaper then fair enough but at its current price point its out of its depth

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I hate metal backs, so the textured plastic if fine with mine. I cannot tell you how many times my iPad has slipped from my hands because of the smooth metal back. Luckily I have only chipped a corner of the screen but one of these days I will drop it on a hard surface and the screen will shatter.

With that said I am not sure I want this device any more. Sounds like too much money for what you get.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Initially, it seems good on paper, but lots of negative review when the actual item got into the hands of people, mostly on the quality and feel of the device.

Neverthless, will be getting one as I really want a pure google tablet and the size is the sweetspot for me. Just hope google dun dispicably announce a 64gb version a month later.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I have no worries when it comes to software shortcomings on a Google device, they will be patched up sooner or later. Nexus 9 is great, but it's priced too high imo, very closely to the iPad which is a much superior choice. Unless you're some Android die-hard enthusiast, it's really hard to justify this purchase. Apple always had the upper-hand in the tablet space, but Google would under-cut them by price. Android L, by the looks of it, is much closer to that iOS experience with it's smoothness, but Apple will still have the better dev support, most apps being optimized for the iPad, which is sadly not something you will see on an Android tablet. I will probably have to wait until my phone gets the Android 5.0 update or play around with the tablet itself to make my decision.

roninmedia

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
The biggest concern for me is with the lack of quality control with the first production run. HTC has always been good with their build quality, but the Nexus 9 is all over the place. At the moment, purchasing one appears to be a shot in the dark with high odds for a RMA compared to the average for a tablet.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It's surprising how HTC was able to **** it up. I guess we can simply wait for the next batch and maybe see them fix some known issues.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing... Most devices have issues when you are an early adopter (yes, I'm aware of the exceptions). Simply visit other forum sections in here and you will hear very similar gripes and complaints about "new" tech. That's kinda the price you pay for being the first! And, that doesn't make a device a "flop" either. Look at Apple devices. Since their phones and tablets are used to measure the "quality" of a competitor's product, they have had major issues as well. From "antennaegate", devices bending in pockets, poor wi-fi connectivity to overheating. It's bound to happen when you're one of the first folks to buy a new device. That doesn't constitute the product's failure, it means you have to wait until all of the "kinks" are resolved. Microsoft had issues with their Xbox 360 and the "red ring of death" rendering user's systems dead. Sony had issues with their PS3 overheating. It happens and we all hope future batches of the product rectifies the initial issues. So, in short, it's the price you pay for having to have a product "day one."

J

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I won't comment on size, plastic or any of the valid points made here. I don't know anything about them because I haven't used it. I do have the Nexux 7 and for what I needed it for, it serves my purposes.

What I do know something about is pricing. In the phone and tablet industry, the manufacturer decides who is the market leader in pricing. He then prices his product just under the leader. It may not have as much umpht as the leader but you can always say you aren't paying as much either.

This is called umbrella pricing. Price you product just under the leader. Guess what? It works and furthermore, you will have a better margin and make more money by doing this. Android, MS and all other OEM's do this with their products. It's been this way since time began and it's not going to change anytime soon. Get used to paying more for a marginal product.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
In general, I have a problem when people who have never even held or tested a device posting things like "overhyped flop". It reeks of needless and underinformed hyperbole.

Now, granted that I am the ideal target user for this device (never bought a tablet other than Nexus 7, looking for a bigger/4x3 tablet because I've started doing lots of reading on my Nexus 7, absolutely despise iOS and therefore would never consider an iPad), I absolutely LOVE my Nexus 9.

It's sturdy, thin, lightweight, blazing fast, the screen is incredible, and the speakers are great. I've experienced none of the reported issues with mine other than a very slight give when I push on the Nexus logo. Perhaps I got lucky, perhaps the huge software update really did fix a lot of stuff, maybe the truth includes a little bit of both.

My advice to anyone: before you start bashing a device, get it in your hands first. Take it for a test drive. That's what I did, instead of pre-ordering a device I wasn't sure about, and my results speak for themselves. I had no qualms plunking down the purchase price (hey, that's what Best Buy's 18 months same-as-cash and extended holiday return period are for, right?), and I couldn't be happier with it.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I got mine today, was all set to see the negatives issues the verge and others talked about and return it but, nope, not seeing them.

Comfy and solid in the hand, bright pleasant screen, no flex, no lag, great sound. It's a keeper!

jondelfin

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
How is it over hype flop? I see a lot of positive reviews about the device as well as some negative. Go look at any device in any forum and you will see many issues with the device. I have yet to see a manufacturer release a product without issues.

Remember to take much of what is posted with a grain of salt. People who love the tablet are less likely to post than those who have a [sometime legitimate] complaint. And then of course there are the posts by those who do not even own the tablet but love controversy, and finally those who do not even own a tablet of any kind!!
But overall the forums have some good info - it is sort of like reading hotel or restaurant reviews - the truth always lies somewhere between the extremes

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I got mine today, was all set to see the negatives issues the verge and others talked about and return it but, nope, not seeing them.

Comfy and solid in the hand, bright pleasant screen, no flex, no lag, great sound. It's a keeper!

Same for me too. Got $100 off it from Best Buy. My previous Samsung cover works perfect on it. I'm very happy with mine

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The reviews, at least the negative ones, are unfortunate. Part of the problem is Google, giving the reviewer is a half-baked software. The recent update solved 95% of the problems that reviewers talked about. Other reviewers who understood that, gave outstanding reviews of the tablet. The hardware is what it is, the aluminum frame is nice, the screen is nice, in the plastic back with its soft grip, feels great in the hand. It isn't all the aluminum, like an iPad but is also $100 cheaper. For me it performs better than my iPad air, and Android 5.0 is ridiculously smooth. This is the first operating system from Google that I think can beat Apple in the tablet space . the tablet is great, great price, and will get better with updates.

Apple shouldn't be the only company that gets a pass on quality control and software bugs. Ipad air suffered from a yellow screen, and buggy software. My air now has a whole host of new problems with ios 8.

I'm curious, some of the reviews I've seen have been reporting an occasional lag or stutter which was supposed to have been addressed beginning with Project Butter in 4.2 and refined now in 5.0

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say they are a flop. Just definitely not worth their price as they are currently made. Went to my local best buy and they had 2 on display. Both had light bleed and felt really cheap. The back was too flexible. Went to go check out the iPads and even the galaxy tab s. Both were polar opposites of the nexus 9. Went back and one was frozen on an image and the capacitive buttons were unresponsive. The second nexus was laggy. I want to chalk the lag and freeze up to being demo units. But this was 2 days into the bb getting them (My cousin works there in the computer area and told me they just got them). If anything I think I would wait a few months for them to fix the problems with build and and light bleed before buying one. Otherwise I think this device isn't going to be as successful as the 7

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You make some interesting comments about the Nexus 9.

I am fortunate enough to own both a Nexus 9 and Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 and personally whilst I love Android Lollipop I keep going back to my Samsung due in part the the superior quality screen and the sheer lightness and ergonomics of the Galaxy S.

In my opinion the Nexus 9 is well built but it is a little bit on the heavy side and sometimes awkward to handle due to the 4:3 screen ratio, the Nexus 7 was great to handle even one handed.

It is also let down by the somewhat disappointing screen that comes across a bit dull at times and nowhere near up to the quality of the Galaxy S.

If the Nexus 9 was priced say £75 less then it would be a steel of a buy, but it is too close the the iPad Mini and Galaxy S pricing to make it worthwhile, unless you are a massive stock Android fan.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I do not think it is "overhyped" granted Android fans may have overhyped it. To be honest the main issue is price, I feel for what you are getting it should be in the $339 range for the 16GB and $399 for the 32GB. When you charge the amount people are paying for this device they expect a premium product, and it is very close but not quite there.