Nexus 9 *NEVER* Listening

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
It is my understanding that the Nexus 9 should have the new "always listening" feature, whereby I can say "OK Google" from any screen or when the screen is off, and it will activate a Google Now/Google Search voice search.

So I have Google Now turned on. I trained the voice model. I have the options for "Always on" and "When locked" turned on. But no matter what I do, it never works unless I'm either (1) in the google search app or (2) on the Google Now screen, or (3) at the launcher. I have deleted and retained the voice model several times.

Am I missing something? This is a feature that is supposed to work on the N9, right?

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It works for me for a while and then stops. If I restart the tablet it starts working again. Just got the latest android update last night so I'll see if it gets better.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk.

cbryancan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
No matter how long I tinker with tech, I still forget the tried and true method of "restart the device."

This works. And since it works after restart, it must be a software kink that presumably will get ironed out. At least now I don't have to worry about doing an exchange before it's too late.