Are you going to upgrade to the Pixel 2?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're right, that's definitely misleading. In fact, I had to "educate" a very nice Best Buy employee not long after the phone's debut. He saw me looking at the Pixel on display and started telling me about it. I didn't want to waste his time, so I explained I was just browsing while I waited for my daughter, and I added that I already had the Pixel XL. He showed interest, so I brought out the phone, showed him some pictures I had taken, etc. He was impressed, and said he'd really like to have a Pixel but he didn't want to switch to Verizon. I explained how he didn't have to use Verizon as his carrier if he didn't want to, that "exclusive" in this case really didn't mean exclusive. He was grinning from ear to ear by the time I finished explaining.
I sorta feel like Best Buy should have educated him

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're right, that's definitely misleading. In fact, I had to "educate" a very nice Best Buy employee not long after the phone's debut. He saw me looking at the Pixel on display and started telling me about it. I didn't want to waste his time, so I explained I was just browsing while I waited for my daughter, and I added that I already had the Pixel XL. He showed interest, so I brought out the phone, showed him some pictures I had taken, etc. He was impressed, and said he'd really like to have a Pixel but he didn't want to switch to Verizon. I explained how he didn't have to use Verizon as his carrier if he didn't want to, that "exclusive" in this case really didn't mean exclusive. He was grinning from ear to ear by the time I finished explaining.
I think a somewhat better way to say the tag line would have been 'available at Verizon stores'. It's still true, but the omission of 'only' might have encouraged people to possibly look at how else to get a Pixel.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, on that note, I'd like to know :

- if google Lens will be working and active out of the box on the Pixel 2's
- if they will have "waterproofing"
- a bit about the battery sizes.
- info about any camera improvements (fixed the lens flare I hope? Added OIS?)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, on that note, I'd like to know :

- if google Lens will be working and active out of the box on the Pixel 2's
- if they will have "waterproofing"
- a bit about the battery sizes.
- info about any camera improvements (fixed the lens flare I hope? Added OIS?)

Yes, almost certainly
Sorta (waterproofing doesn't exist on phones yet, but they will be higher water resistance than last year, in line with other flagships we've seen this year)
Everyone is very deliberately not leaking battery size
Is there a way from looking at the device to know if it has OIS?

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought my N5 in the summer of 2014, and it just recently got really slow and the battery doesn't last. I bought a Robin when it was $120 to tide me over, while saving for my gorgeous Blue XL which I just received.

I'm quite happy buying Nexus/Pixels a year after release and using them into the ground. Given that I'll get P and two more years of security updates this works for me. I don't mind the bezels or lack of water resistance, and I like waiting for at least some of the kinks to be ironed out.

In this instance the absence of a headphone jack is also a deal breaker for me, so I figure I'll be looking at the Pixel XL 4 in a few years. Meantime I really love this phone.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorta (waterproofing doesn't exist on phones yet, but they will be higher water resistance than last year, in line with other flagships we've seen this year)

That's why I put it in quotes. Too many words to keep saying higher water resistance everywhere :)

..Is there a way from looking at the device to know if it has OIS?

:) Well now .. That sounds intriguing. I don't have any of my phones with OIS around me now, but I don't remember being able to tell form the outside (only on some videos with the back off).

Someone has one to look at, eh? :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's why I put it in quotes. Too many words to keep saying higher water resistance everywhere :)

:) Well now .. That sounds intriguing. I don't have any of my phones with OIS around me now, but I don't remember being able to tell form the outside (only on some videos with the back off).

Someone has one to look at, eh? :)

With official release being roughly 35 days away, my guess is there are some out there. At minimum, Eric and Sundar and Larry probably using them as daily drivers, maybe? I was just wondering if there were any physical give aways or maybe something in settings, etc. that might indicate if a device has OIS or not.

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
waiting to put hands/eyes on the XL and then decide between it, the V30 and Galaxy S8Plus
I will be choosing between the P2XL & the V30. I have missed wireless charging and really hope Google incorporates it. The last phone I had with it was the Nexus 5. I had a "puck" on my nightstand, in the living room & on my desk at work. So simple and "wire free"!
If the P2XL doesn't have it I will lean more V30.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I will be choosing between the P2XL & the V30. I have missed wireless charging and really hope Google incorporates it. The last phone I had with it was the Nexus 5. I had a "puck" on my nightstand, in the living room & on my desk at work. So simple and "wire free"!
If the P2XL doesn't have it I will lean more V30.
So far all signs point to it not having it this year.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
That's about the silliest thing I've read on the internet recently: "I'm going to refuse to buy the best phone because I dislike one multi-billion dollar company's business/marketing arrangement with another multi-billion dollar company!" Seriously?
Seriously. Exclusion is exclusion, sweetiepie, no matter the price tag. Glad you got a laugh out of it, though.

But, seriously, the best phone? It's not even a reality yet.