Finally a pic of the front (Pixel 2 XL)

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I have to agree with @quelquehomme. The 2 XL doesn't look terrible but (IMO) there are definitely better looking phones out there. Luckily for Google, looks aren't why most people buy phones from a search engine.

It's not my top pick of the design litter but might win me over on function... in about 22 hours.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with @quelquehomme. The 2 XL doesn't look terrible but (IMO) there are definitely better looking phones out there. Luckily for Google, looks aren't why most people buy phones from a search engine.

It's not my top pick of the design litter but might win me over on function... in about 22 hours.
Other than essential, what are you liking more?

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Other than essential, what are you liking more?
That's about it. My top priority is having as close to stock Android as possible to install what I want and disable the rest. After that it's down to physical design and size. Camera is low on my list but a good one would nice to have.

In my case, the 128GB 2 XL will run about $300 more than buying another PH-1. It will come down to if the software experience, display quality/size and camera are worth the difference. I can justify the cost if all of the above prove useful enough. My plan is to order a 2 XL tomorrow and give it a shot for a week or two. If it stays, it stays. If not then I'll likely fall back on a PH-1 and hope the next one is as good as my first.

The other catch will be how quickly Google can take and fulfill orders. I'm typically quite patient but my window to find a new phone is getting smaller by the day. If Google is 1-2 weeks out then that's fine. If they're 1-2 months then that probably won't work for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's about it. My top priority is having as close to stock Android as possible to install what I want and disable the rest. After that it's down to physical design and size. Camera is low on my list but a good one would nice to have.

In my case, the 128GB 2 XL will run about $300 more than buying another PH-1. It will come down to if the software experience, display quality/size and camera are worth the difference. I can justify the cost if all of the above prove useful enough. My plan is to order a 2 XL tomorrow and give it a shot for a week or two. If it stays, it stays. If not then I'll likely fall back on a PH-1 and hope the next one is as good as my first.

The other catch will be how quickly Google can take and fulfill orders. I'm typically quite patient but my window to find a new phone is getting smaller by the day. If Google is 1-2 weeks out then that's fine. If they're 1-2 months then that probably won't work for me.

Decisions, decisions. I find the Essential very interesting but I ended up not pulling the trigger on it. One wrench to throw in the mix... apparently the pre orders for the XL might not be released until November 15th, so we're like 42 days out give or take.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we at least get to pre-order the 2XL tomorrow. And I'm calling it Stormtrooper not Panda ;P. Looking dead sexy to me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully we at least get to pre-order the 2XL tomorrow. And I'm calling it Stormtrooper not Panda ;P. Looking dead sexy to me.

ha

26030232963_19fa179173_b.jpg

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
And what phone does have a striking look? Personally I have never been in awe of a smartphone design.
For starters, any phone that pushes the envelope beyond black and white color options. But if we're talking strictly about the face of the phone, I agree that they're all a dime a dozen.

And BTW, I still wanna buy one. I just think it looks meh.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Probably talking about the regular sim instead of e-sim. I think I would prefer a regular sim. I don't see any real benefit from the esim at this point.

Ah. Yeah I don't see any benefit. I don't swap much anyway but even when I do I don't find popping the SIM out and putting it in the other phone that bothersome.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For starters, any phone that pushes the envelope beyond black and white color options. But if we're talking strictly about the face of the phone, I agree that they're all a dime a dozen.

Ah so not really design -- but more color.

Yeah new colors are nice but until manufactures actually release said colors in a timely fashion it is a pretty moot point. I personally don't like waiting 6-9 months later just to get the color I want of said new phone... and that is if i am lucky enough for it to actually come out since they never truly tell us.

That is why I don't even get hype seeing the crazy colors we see with Samsung sometimes because I instantly remind myself "Oh that isn't coming to the US .. and if it does .. who knows when?"

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Decisions, decisions. I find the Essential very interesting but I ended up not pulling the trigger on it. One wrench to throw in the mix... apparently the pre orders for the XL might not be released until November 15th, so we're like 42 days out give or take.
Good to know on the delay, thanks. I'll have to sleep on that. 42 days isn't astronomical but I really should get something sooner than mid-November.

It's never easy. Everything is a compromise.

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Ah so not really design -- but more color.

Yeah new colors are nice but until manufactures actually release said colors in a timely fashion it is a pretty moot point. I personally don't like waiting 6-9 months later just to get the color I want of said new phone... and that is if i am lucky enough for it to actually come out since they never truly tell us.

That is why I don't even get hype seeing the crazy colors we see with Samsung sometimes because I instantly remind myself "Oh that isn't coming to the US .. and if it does .. who knows when?"

Debbie Downer today.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good to know on the delay, thanks. I'll have to sleep on that. 42 days isn't astronomical but I really should get something sooner than mid-November.

It's never easy. Everything is a compromise.

I don't know that's date's for sure, that's just what Evan Blass stated.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that's date's for sure, that's just what Evan Blass stated.

That bit of info about a possible delay was from venturebeat. I'm not positive but I don't think they are associated with EVLeaks/Evan at all.

Frankly, not sure how reliable "a person familiar..." is. I'll believe it when I hear it. Here's what they said:

"And according to a person familiar with Google’s release plans, they’ll see a staggered rollout: October 19 for Pixel 2 and November 15 for Pixel 2 XL, both preceded by preorder periods."

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/02/these-are-the-google-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl/