AT&T and the Pixels

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Interested in this phone but have a upgrade with ATT. Can I purchase through them or is this just an option thorough Verizon?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You'll be able to buy from Verizon and Google. We will see at the announcements if it will be available on other carriers.

rl71

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
If it's not offered through AT&T, you can still purchase it through Google and bring it to AT&T network, however AT&T will not allow you to utilize features such as WiFi calling, HD Voice, or VoLTE, which they solely reserve for Android phones sold through them, along with all iPhones. Your local AT&T sales critter can even try to add those features to your phone plan, but their back end servers will immediately remove them. Speaking from first hand experience with my now deceased Moto X Pure.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If it's not offered through AT&T, you can still purchase it through Google and bring it to AT&T network, however AT&T will not allow you to utilize features such as WiFi calling, HD Voice, or VoLTE, which they solely reserve for Android phones sold through them, along with all iPhones. Your local AT&T sales critter can even try to add those features to your phone plan, but their back end servers will immediately remove them. Speaking from first hand experience with my now deceased Moto X Pure.

I hope that changes soon. That's the dumbest tactic ever because all it does is exclude BYOD customers. If you know of a place where we can all voice our opinion on this issue, please let us know. I know there is an AT&T rep over in the carrier section.

Perhaps if Pixel owners and anyone else that has a non-AT&T device can start up a buzz.

I need WiFi calling in my building.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing that's a new thing because my unlocked HTC 10 has VoLTE activated.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope that changes soon. That's the dumbest tactic ever because all it does is exclude BYOD customers. If you know of a place where we can all voice our opinion on this issue, please let us know. I know there is an AT&T rep over in the carrier section.

Perhaps if Pixel owners and anyone else that has a non-AT&T device can start up a buzz.

I need WiFi calling in my building.

I am sure AT&T knows customers don't like it but they don't care. They want you to buy their device with their software / tweaks. They could allow it easily if they wanted. T-Mobile allows WiFi calling/VoLTE on tons of unlocked phones.

AT&T knows what they're doing and they don't care.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that's a new thing because my unlocked HTC 10 has VoLTE activated.

Be glad it works :p. It isn't new. From my knowledge AT&T hasn't allowed it on a ton of unlocked devices for a long time. Hence why people who want to buy unlocked simply can't if they want said features to work. T-Mobile customers don't have to worry in that regard.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am sure AT&T knows customers don't like it but they don't care. They want you to buy their device with their software / tweaks. They could allow it easily if they wanted. T-Mobile allows WiFi calling/VoLTE on tons of unlocked phones.

AT&T knows what they're doing and they don't care.
I don't know how many customers would need to complain to make someone over there pay attention.

I guess when a significant amount of people decide to leave and clearly state this reason, we'll see something done.

It's unfortunate because the Pixel experience on AT&T is less than that on T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how many customers would need to complain to make someone over there pay attention.

I guess when a significant amount of people decide to leave and clearly state this reason, we'll see something done.

It's unfortunate because the Pixel experience on AT&T is less than that on T-Mobile.

There is only one way they'd pay attention -- if a ton of people left over it. There are two issues with that.

1) People won't leave for that small of a reason .. Or at least not anywhere close to enough people for them to care.

2) The market for people buying unlocked is already small compared to the masses that always do carrier.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This bugs the crap out of me. I truly hope something changes over the next month to enable Wifi calling.

If this continues, I hope AT&T is put on the hotseat soon.

The fact of the matter is, that if you BYOD, you still pay just as much as someone on EIP but are restricted from the same features.
706dca6fa1bd7db9ca66227db822af1c.jpg

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is only one way they'd pay attention -- if a ton of people left over it. There are two issues with that.

1) People won't leave for that small of a reason .. Or at least not anywhere close to enough people for them to care.

2) The market for people buying unlocked is already small compared to the masses that always do carrier.

And besides, doesn't it benefit AT&T as well? Less people making calls over cellular has got to mean something good for the service. I don't know how it works, but it seems like the more people that are connected to wifi and making calls that way, the less impact it has on the network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And besides, doesn't it benefit AT&T as well? Less people making calls over cellular has got to mean something good for the service. I don't know how it works, but it seems like the more people that are connected to wifi and making calls that way, the less impact it has on the network.

It still goes across their network but instead of it being on the spectrum / cell towers it offloads it directly to the back-haul so it does help with tower load in a sense.

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I get better ATT signal at home than Verizon. But can't switch due to them not offering the said features.
Which features? I had to move to Verizon. At&t had 0 signal in my house. Verizon is pulling down 15 Mbps vs crap. What features though? I'm still new to Verizon so still learning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez