If I buy from Pixel 2 from Google do I still have to pay Verizon upgrade or activation fee?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If I buy from Google and throw in my Verizon sim card do I get hit with any Verizon. I talked my way out of it when I bought my V20 as a long time customer but I'm thinking if I by from Google that should eliminate and fees.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Technically you shouldn't since you didn't upgrade through them at all. If you do I am sure you can talk w/ them about it.. either that or just use your existing SIM card.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Technically you shouldn't since you didn't upgrade through them at all. If you do I am sure you can talk w/ them about it.. either that or just use your existing SIM card.

Now that I think about it....not much different than buying a used phone and putting in your sim. Not sure how it works with the provided sim but don't need it.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
You never have to pay that upgrade fee. One simple phone call is all it takes to get it reversed. I do it all the time.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You never have to pay that upgrade fee. One simple phone call is all it takes to get it reversed. I do it all the time.

Yes...I now recall that i did that last time with V20. The CSR told they couldn't take off the fee but as a valued customer they could credit my bill.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are currently a Verizon customer... Just pop your current SIM into the new phone and you are good to go... I have done this on the last 3 phones and I have received no charge... Currently using a Google Store Pixel XL...

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I can 100% say with certainty that you do NOT get charged the upgrade fee if you buy the unlocked version and throw your sim card in. I bought the first gen Pixel XL unlocked and the Nexus 6P before that, and all you need to do is take the sim card out of your previous phone and put it in the new one and you're good to go.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
They might charge you if you buy the verizon version from the google store... Unlocked, I doubt they would.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They might charge you if you buy the verizon version from the google store... Unlocked, I doubt they would.

Do they check if you're a Verizon customer when you buy the Verizon version from Google?

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
You shouldn't have to pay the fee if you purchase the phone through Google. I did some research on this today. If you pay for your phone through Verizon whether outright or via payments, expect to pay the fee.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. It inadvertently will get me the Pixel 2 XL a bit sooner than I would have gotten it. I had ordered from the Google Store (a first for me, and a harrowing/frustrating experience) with a Verizon SIM (got a 11/7 shipping date). After reading this, I realized it hadn't occurred to me to even check the Unlocked versions, and I was able to order a 2 Xl 128gb Black shipping 10/24 now (expedited). Buying unlocked will be another first for me, hopefully that goes as better then the Google Store experience :)

So thanks to the responders here who enlightened me that I can just use an Unlocked version on Verizon (and hopefully not miss out on any features - VOLTE, etc)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. It inadvertently will get me the Pixel 2 XL a bit sooner than I would have gotten it. I had ordered from the Google Store (a first for me, and a harrowing/frustrating experience) with a Verizon SIM (got a 11/7 shipping date). After reading this, I realized it hadn't occurred to me to even check the Unlocked versions, and I was able to order a 2 Xl 128gb Black shipping 10/24 now (expedited). Buying unlocked will be another first for me, hopefully that goes as better then the Google Store experience :)

So thanks to the responders here who enlightened me that I can just use an Unlocked version on Verizon (and hopefully not miss out on any features - VOLTE, etc)

That's why most of us are here. Nerds who help each other out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress