Is the pixel 2 xl's display the same as v30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the pixel 2 xl's display is the same poled display of the v30? When I checked it out yesterday I though the 2 xl's display looked different and had washed out colors compared to the v30's display which was colorful and vivid similar to Samsung's displays.

I wonder if they put an IPS lg display on it instead or is it still poled?

sacerdos

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Here's a speculative thought: Maybe they are saving the "better" screen for next year's phone, as an improvement to this year's model.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the pixel 2 xl's display is the same poled display of the v30? When I checked it out yesterday I though the 2 xl's display looked different and had washed out colors compared to the v30's display which was colorful and vivid similar to Samsung's displays.
My guess would be that you just prefer the way that LG fine tunes their display over Google's approach. Could be that LG boosted the color saturation on the default settings of their displays.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if they put an IPS lg display on it instead or is it still poled?

It is a POLED display, though we don't know yet if it's the identical screen as the V30. That said, to truly compare them, you'd need the same screen content shown under the same lighting, so if you saw them at different times/places, that could have caused the difference you noted. Also, the display settings can make a massive difference (e.g., SRGB mode is far, far more color-accurate, but will appear washed out compared to the oversaturated display modes that are 'all the rage).

Here's a speculative thought: Maybe they are saving the "better" screen for next year's phone, as an improvement to this year's model.

Would be no point, as by next year the available display options will have incrementally improved regardless.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
It is a POLED display, though we don't know yet if it's the identical screen as the V30. That said, to truly compare them, you'd need the same screen content shown under the same lighting, so if you saw them at different times/places, that could have caused the difference you noted. Also, the display settings can make a massive difference (e.g., SRGB mode is far, far more color-accurate, but will appear washed out compared to the oversaturated display modes that are 'all the rage).

Would be no point, as by next year the available display options will have incrementally improved regardless.
I saw both phones as well as the note 8 under the same lighting conditions at the verizon store and I compared them nearly side by side. Both the v30 and note 8 had better displays imo and the colors were more saturated and vivid while the pixel looked washed out. The v30 and pixel both had the blue tint while viewed at angles.

Do you know if the pixel will have different display modes to change sRGB to a different mode to perhaps help the screen look for like the v30?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Both of the displays are the same tech and both are calibrated to support sRGB and DCI-P3 color gamuts. If you're seeing a major difference, it is likely that they were not using the same color profile at the time. Keep in mind that the V30 does not yet have OS level color management, which comes with Android O. If both devices are using stock settings, it's likely that the V30 is wildly off color with the 2 XL showing more accurate colors.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have V30 and I say same display except on LG you can choose different display mode and you can adjust RGB color.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have V30 and I say same display except on LG you can choose different display mode and you can adjust RGB color.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the SRGB mode on the Pixel 2/2XL is not the default, so you can change display modes there between the default and SRGB, though you may not be able to fine-tune either.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You can see LG V30 display is not that bad. View angle is good too.
a522f0a264d4a6703a64573afabcb1cb.jpg
e7dd7baf132154b46c99697a5344caa2.jpg

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the viewing angle complaint. I can see when you're talking about a TV, computer monitor, hell maybe the touch screen in your car. What do you guys do with your phone that you look at it at an angle and get bothered by inaccurate colors? I'm not trying to be a **** I'm genuinely curious

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL display quality vs. LG V30

Looks like all of the LG V30 reviews are out now and the display seems to have a plethora of issues, all of which come back to the less-than-perfect implementation of LG POLED displays. Here is a review from The Verge, https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design.

The Verge had a lot of good things to say about the Pixel 2 XL in their preview, however seeing as this phone is supposed to use the exact same display as the V30, I have my doubts about the quality. Naturally, all of this will come out soon, but I have also read some less than stellar impressions of the Pixel 2 XL display on this forum.

If anybody already has their hands on a Pixel 2 XL, are you noticing any issues with the display, and if so, what issues?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2 XL display quality vs. LG V30

Looks like all of the LG V30 reviews are out now and the display seems to have a plethora of issues, all of which come back to the less-than-perfect implementation of LG POLED displays. Here is a review from The Verge, https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design.

The Verge had a lot of good things to say about the Pixel 2 XL in their preview, however seeing as this phone is supposed to use the exact same display as the V30, I have my doubts about the quality. Naturally, all of this will come out soon, but I have also read some less than stellar impressions of the Pixel 2 XL display on this forum.

If anybody already has their hands on a Pixel 2 XL, are you noticing any issues with the display, and if so, what issues?

That's the first review I've seen that mentions display issues on the V30. Its possible they got a bad unit, because other reviews had nothing to complain about.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Call me concerned now about the Pixel 2 XL

I really do think LG nailed the dimensions of this phone, and I’m confident the screen technology contributes to the V30’s thinness (as well as making it compatible with Google’s budding Daydream VR ecosystem). But the V30’s desaturated, lifeless screen, addled with all of the foregoing issues, makes this a phone I find impossible to love, or even get along with on a daily basis.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Call me concerned now about the Pixel 2 XL

I really do think LG nailed the dimensions of this phone, and I’m confident the screen technology contributes to the V30’s thinness (as well as making it compatible with Google’s budding Daydream VR ecosystem). But the V30’s desaturated, lifeless screen, addled with all of the foregoing issues, makes this a phone I find impossible to love, or even get along with on a daily basis.

I think you're reading way far into a phone without even using it in day to day. Take what people say as a grain of salt. Any phone that comes out has all the "doom & gloom" posts before anyone even has it for daily use. If you get it and use it in day to day and it is bad then by all means return / grab another phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's super funny that LG finally put out an accurate display on mobile and almost everyone that comments about it HATES it. I'm talking color accuracy though, not anything to do with the alleged blotchiness, banding, etc.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it's super funny that LG finally put out an accurate display on mobile and almost everyone that comments about it HATES it. I'm talking color accuracy though, not anything to do with the alleged blotchiness, banding, etc.
I think some of us may prefer a more saturated and vivid display so that's one reason why we may be disappointed with the pixel 2 xl display. I know I prefer something similar to Samsung's AMOLED and I'm disappointed by the pixel 2 xl's display as I think it looks washed out and isn't as vivid. Also, I don't like the blue tint issue I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty