10-22-2017 12:03 AM
505 123 ...
tools
    I figure we have TONS of threads popping up so I am going to make a master one -- This way we don't have 10 threads on the same subject .

Thanks all!
    DarkNeo and revtech like this.
    10-18-2017 03:41 PM
    Start it all off again with Vlad from the Verge hating the 2 XL screen

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...lg-oled-screen

Pixel 2 XL Screen Discussion-jbareham_171013_2050_0088.jpg
    dejanh likes this.
    10-18-2017 03:45 PM
    I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order of the XL. I just can't spend almost $1,000 on a phone with issues like this.
    Premium1 and DominionRoofs like this.
    10-18-2017 03:48 PM
    I cancelled my pre-order plans. Cannot justify the price for what you get.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-18-2017 03:49 PM
    Seeing all these "The Pixel 2 XL could have been the best phone" topics breaks my heart...

Why Google? Why? Why didn't anyone say anything from the hands on after the presentation???
    Boutsen likes this.
    10-18-2017 03:50 PM
    I ordered regular pixel 2. Does it also affect regular pixel 2?
    10-18-2017 03:51 PM
    Seeing all these "The Pixel 2 XL could have been the best phone" topics breaks my heart...

Why Google? Why? Why didn't anyone say anything from the hands on after the presentation???
    Euphoria and the fear or being embargoed perhaps.

I ordered regular pixel 2. Does it also affect regular pixel 2?
    No it does not. Regular Pixel 2 is fine.
    sulla1965 and krazyatom like this.
    10-18-2017 03:53 PM
    i just got mine. I'm setting it up right now. It's a keeper! Yeah, I can see the off-axis blue. Hell, I can even see it head-on for now on all-white pages. It's still a beautiful screen despite its shortcomings. I believe I'll get used to the tint, and I'm sure to theme it with Swift Black eventually anyway.

Incidentallly, I think turning off Vivid Colors helps to cut back on the blue a leeeeeeeeeeeeetle bit. So there's that.
    ottscay, DMP89145 and revtech like this.
    10-18-2017 03:59 PM
    I've looked at these phones twice and found no discernable issue. I'll try a third store and then I'll get my eyes checked for color accuracy.
    10-18-2017 04:04 PM
    Can you show image? Not a good sign if you can see blue head on. I'm not settling for mediocrity for that price. I ended up cancelling my preorder.
    10-18-2017 04:06 PM
    I'm also not buying the tuning explanation from Google. Vlad could have even compared the Pixel 2 XL to the smaller 2 to demonstrate the differences in Hue alone. Why would google tune the two phones differently?

This to me is akin to the days of Samsung's Display lottery when it came to uniformity and hue.
    10-18-2017 04:07 PM
    I just got the Pixel 2 today, the small one... when I compared a picture taken on my note 8 on my Pixel XL from last year and the Pixel 2 side-by-side with the brightness turned all way up on both, I haven't been able to find any noticeable differences or discoloration.
    10-18-2017 04:08 PM

Because people dont look for subtle hue changes immediately after a new phone is announced. And I think it may be an unwritten law not to bash a phone during that first hands on as Ive never seen anyone say anything bad about any phone at one of those announcements.
    DarkNeo likes this.
    10-18-2017 04:08 PM
    Turns out, TechnoBuffalo likes the screen:
    revtech likes this.
    10-18-2017 04:31 PM
    If it's as bad as people are saying, I find it crazy that of all the early review videos I've seen of the larger Pixel 2, Noone mentions just how dated and odd the screen appears.
    a22matic and 11B1P like this.
    10-18-2017 04:34 PM
    (somewhat) shrinking my comments from a closed thread; there seem to be different issues here:

Flawed panels: Visible "dirt" or "grain" artifacts on solid colored backgrounds, whatever is happening on Vlad Savov's panel. - Many reviewers and videos/photos don't show these, so it seems like LG is having more QC variability than Samsung's more mature panels. Make sure your 2XL screen looks good when you receive it.

Color balance: The colors look accurate to me, but people often prefer saturated colors over accuracy. Since Oreo has true color management built in, it should be easy for Google to other color profiles via software update, so just keep asking for it.

Off-axis blue shift: Clearly a real thing (visible in most reviews). Offhand it looks similar to what I see on my Nexus 6p, but that's in person and not on a video, so I'll have to wait for mine to see. Anyhow, only you can decide how important off-angle color shift is to you and whether it's too severe for your needs.

So I don't see that the sky is falling unless you lose the QC lottery, in which case I'd definitely say to send it back. If the sRGB color profile is not to your liking, definitely send your feedback to Google so they put out a punchy, oversaturated version.

Cheers!
    10-18-2017 04:36 PM
    I just got the Pixel 2 today, the small one... when I compared a picture taken on my note 8 on my Pixel XL from last year and the Pixel 2 side-by-side with the brightness turned all way up on both, I haven't been able to find any noticeable differences or discoloration.

The smaller pixel doesn’t involve it. Just the 2XL
    10-18-2017 04:37 PM
    I have one picture I took at the Verizon store. My boyfriend noticed right away that the “big one” was blue towards the top right and then more white towards the bottom left. He is not a techie and just went with me because I wanted to see it. Still want mine and I’ll see if that bothers me or not in day to day use if it has a problem.
    a22matic and mchockeyvette27 like this.
    10-18-2017 04:42 PM
    (somewhat) shrinking my comments from a closed thread; there seem to be different issues here:

Flawed panels: Visible "dirt" or "grain" artifacts on solid colored backgrounds, whatever is happening on Vlad Savov's panel. - Many reviewers and videos/photos don't show these, so it seems like LG is having more QC variability than Samsung's more mature panels. Make sure your 2XL screen looks good when you receive it.

Color balance: The colors look accurate to me, but people often prefer saturated colors over accuracy. Since Oreo has true color management built in, it should be easy for Google to other color profiles via software update, so just keep asking for it.

Off-axis blue shift: Clearly a real thing (visible in most reviews). Offhand it looks similar to what I see on my Nexus 6p, but that's in person and not on a video, so I'll have to wait for mine to see. Anyhow, only you can decide how important off-angle color shift is to you and whether it's too severe for your needs.

So I don't see that the sky is falling unless you lose the QC lottery, in which case I'd definitely say to send it back. If the sRGB color profile is not to your liking, definitely send your feedback to Google so they put out a punchy, oversaturated version.

Cheers!
    Funny thing: I just set my Note 8 to the basic screen mode, which is close to the tuning of the pixel, and there is a noticeable blue shift when tilting off axis. It's not bothersome in the slightest, but it's noticeable when you have the light theme set up on Gboard.

One thing is also for certain; with all the complaints about the screen I'd wager Google's next update will include a more vivid "vivid" mode.
    ottscay and mchockeyvette27 like this.
    10-18-2017 04:45 PM
    I have one picture I took at the Verizon store. It’s straight on. My boyfriend noticed right away that the “big one” was blue towards the top right and then more white towards the bottom left. He is not a techie and just went with me because I wanted to see it. Still want mine and I’ll see if that bothers me or not in day to day use if it has a problem. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6fa2b89446.jpg
    That's not straight on, that's at an angle.
    ottscay and rbernard80 like this.
    10-18-2017 04:46 PM
    That's not straight on, that's at an angle.
    It was as straight on as I could take. I was staring down at the screens on their docs. It wasn’t an extreme angle as some suggest that you can only see the tint at. My only point was to show an example. I took this over the weekend just to share with a friend since we both have phones coming.
    10-18-2017 04:47 PM
    Okay, I was convinced to take a second look at the store. Wow, very much more noticable than I originally remember seeing. But again, probably not something I would have noticed without looking for it as I would only ever personally be looking at these odd angles only very occasionally.

The portrait photo at an angle I attached probably best shows the hue change, with the bottom being whiter and the top, being more at an angle with the camera, being blueish. This is at it's worst, as noted previously, on white backgrounds. I put a movie trailer on to test while viewing video and while the effect is still there on the video, it's less jarring because you have more than just a flat white color on your screen. I took a still photo of the lightest section of the trailer as an example.

With that in mind, photos can only show you so much. Make the decision for yourself. I'm blown away I didn't notice this the first time, but with that being said, I know how I normally use my phone and while this can be jarring it's not a deal breaker to me because the screen looks GREAT at a normal viewing angle.
    10-18-2017 04:54 PM
    It was as straight on as I could take. I was staring down at the screens on their docs. It wasn’t an extreme angle as some suggest that you can only see the tint at. My only point was to show an example. I took this over the weekend just to share with a friend since we both have phones coming.
    That's totally fair, it's not like you had a tripod and protractor handy. But if you look at the lines of the phone edges they are definitely not head on, and it looks like the XL is at a steeper angle:

Pixel 2 XL Screen Discussion-17fcff95196d454a0636fd6fa2b89446.jpg

If you color sample the top and bottom of the Pixel 2 screen with the Photoshop color picker tool there's also a blue shift on the smaller screen, though to a less obvious degree.

All that aside, I'd agree that your photo makes it look like the blue shift is more pronounced (possibly at an early angle) on the 2XL. I wouldn't think this would be variable between panels the way artifacts and banding might be, but the blue shift doesn't look this severe in video reviews (edit: or the photos published lower in the thread). Perhaps the brightness setting is key? (e.g. beauty shots in reviews may have the brightness cranked all the way up, while in a store they may not, and that could impact how obvious the blue shift is).

I'm still not too concerned about it until I see what mine looks like on arrival, but I can understand why some would be.
    10-18-2017 05:00 PM
    Okay, I was convinced to take a second look at the store. Wow, very much more noticable than I originally remember seeing. But again, probably not something I would have noticed without looking for it as I would only ever personally be looking at these odd angles only very occasionally.
    This is about what I was expecting (and much less severe than in the other image posted above). This is what my Nexus 6p looking like in terms of blue-shift, and it's never bothered me, but I guess I'll see when mine arrives.
    10-18-2017 05:02 PM
    That's totally fair, and it's not like you had a tripod and protractor handy. But if you look at the lines of the edges they are definitely not head on, and it looks like the XL is at a steeper angle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17fcff95196d454a0636fd6fa2b89446.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	489.5 KB 
ID:	271436
    If you color sample the top and bottom of the screen of the regular Pixel 2 you see there's also a blue shift on the smaller screen, though to a much less obvious degree.

But all that aside, I'd agree that the image sure makes it look like the blue shift is more pronounced (quite possibly at an early angle) on the 2XL than on the 2. I wouldn't think this would be variable between panels the way artifacts and banding might be, but it clearly doesn't look this severe in some of the videos in reviews (though it's still visible). Perhaps the brightness setting is key to the difference? (e.g. beauty shots in reviews may have the brightness cranked all the way up, while in a store they may not, and that could impact how obvious the blue shift is).

I'm still not too concerned about it until I see what the version I ordered looks like on arrival, but I can understand why some would be.
    On the LG v30 they’ve been saying it shows more on lower brightness, so you might have a point. I didn’t fuss with brightness. Just took some pictures and played around a bit to see what the feel was like.
    ottscay likes this.
    10-18-2017 05:02 PM
505 123 ...