Battery Life Thread

A Myers

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Hmm, got my Pixel 2 yesterday & am slightly underwhelmed so far. Coming from a One Plus 3 & the screen seems tiny! Guess I'll get used to it. Battery so far nothing special at all, any tips welcome! All I've done today is some Spotify on the way to work, a few pics/browsing & a short phone call and another 30 mins or so of Spotify on the way home. Seems very average to me 😐

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171123-174937.jpg
    Screenshot_20171123-174937.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 59

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I dunno. Mine's still rolling pretty good. But I'm a Project Fi user and I keep mine in airplane mode with wifi on a lot and just use wifi calling. Ambient display always on and that new music listening feature will chew battery a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171124-050142.jpg
    Screenshot_20171124-050142.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 54

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, got my Pixel 2 yesterday & am slightly underwhelmed so far. Coming from a One Plus 3 & the screen seems tiny! Guess I'll get used to it. Battery so far nothing special at all, any tips welcome! All I've done today is some Spotify on the way to work, a few pics/browsing & a short phone call and another 30 mins or so of Spotify on the way home. Seems very average to me
It'll get better after a few days. I realized I check Facebook and Gmail in my own versus prompted by a notification. As a result I turned off background use of both and my battery has been a lot better
2d3ddc80788e73dc7cf62c3de3df1d0f.jpg

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I do keep push notifications off as well as email sync. I dislike being notified of every stupid thing in life.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, got my Pixel 2 yesterday & am slightly underwhelmed so far. Coming from a One Plus 3 & the screen seems tiny! Guess I'll get used to it. Battery so far nothing special at all, any tips welcome! All I've done today is some Spotify on the way to work, a few pics/browsing & a short phone call and another 30 mins or so of Spotify on the way home. Seems very average to me 😐

It will probably take a few charging cycles to get the full feel of the battery - don't be discouraged just yet!

Do you have apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, etc running in the background? That will eat at your battery. There are browser-alternative Facebook apps that work well!

Also, just a random question: did you consider the Pixel 2 XL? If the Pixel 2 seems smaller to the 5.5" OP3, the 2 XL could be an alternative for you! Plus it has a bigger battery, at 3520 mAh.

A Myers

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
It will probably take a few charging cycles to get the full feel of the battery - don't be discouraged just yet!

Do you have apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, etc running in the background? That will eat at your battery. There are browser-alternative Facebook apps that work well!

Also, just a random question: did you consider the Pixel 2 XL? If the Pixel 2 seems smaller to the 5.5" OP3, the 2 XL could be an alternative for you! Plus it has a bigger battery, at 3520 mAh.

I'm getting used to the size, phones are just getting too big! What would have perfect for me would be the physical size of the 2 with the edge to edge screen of the XL - would have made the screen 5.5 inches or something but in a small phone. Perfect. I've gone through another charge since, and things are slightly better - 100% at lunchtime yesterday and now with 2hr 30 SOT and am on 45% battery. We shall see

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting used to the size, phones are just getting too big! What would have perfect for me would be the physical size of the 2 with the edge to edge screen of the XL - would have made the screen 5.5 inches or something but in a small phone. Perfect. I've gone through another charge since, and things are slightly better - 100% at lunchtime yesterday and now with 2hr 30 SOT and am on 45% battery. We shall see
Basically like the iPhone X.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you - phones are getting way too big these days! I feel like five years from now, phones will be 6.5", or even 7"! Madness!

I'm glad things are going better for you with your battery life! I love how the Pixel 2 line has a battery estimate based on your usage! Enjoy your phone!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I love how the Pixel 2 line has a battery estimate based on your usage! Enjoy your phone!

That's a big deal. I try not to hang around the battery settings page as I've done on Android devices in the past but when I do go in there on this phone, I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling about how much life my battery has left and don't feel that it's an arbitrary number.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a big deal. I try not to hang around the battery settings page as I've done on Android devices in the past but when I do go in there on this phone, I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling about how much life my battery has left and don't feel that it's an arbitrary number.

Absolutely it is! It's a more a personalized estimate of your usage; so you have a better feel of how much battery power you actually have left.

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL just got it yesterday. When I got it it wasn't even fully charged. Maybe like 87 percent?

Though...I'm wondering why the heck is Nova launcher taking 19 percent...is this normal? That seems pretty darn high.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171125-131930.jpg
    Screenshot_20171125-131930.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20171125-132214.jpg
    Screenshot_20171125-132214.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 46

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've always charged phones to 100%, but I'm going try to follow the 40-80 rule when possible, with a once-per-month full discharge. Conflicting info on the value of the 40-80 rule, but I haven't seen anything that says it's bad.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Was initially disappointed with battery life, but after using it for a few weeks I feel the battery has gotten better. I also changed the live wallpaper screen.