Oh, good! Now burn-in might be a problem?

anon(8547461)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
That's a workaround and does not fix the root cause. I'm assuming Alex Dobie's usage is normal, nothing cranked up to 100% brightness 24/7 or anything like that. Under normal usage, IR should not happen.

Hard to tell. The only thing that makes me think he’s got the brightness boosted is the background since the white in that image is completely blown out.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't stuck with the same screen for long time. Try to switch to other app that will hide navbar ( full screen YouTube video or Google photo)

This is why I like LG software because it allowed you to hide navbar in any app.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't stuck with the same screen for long time. Try to switch to other app that will hide navbar ( full screen YouTube video or Google photo)

This is why I like LG software because it allowed you to hide navbar in any app.

Users should not need to have to adjust their behavior / usage like this. I want to enjoy my phone on whatever app I like for however long I like.

This issue now has me actually worried for the first time about my 2 XL purchase. Unlike the previous display concerns, this one has hit home with me and I am actually debating cancelling my order and either waiting a while or going another direction (Note 8 maybe). Sigh..

I realize we do not know if this issue is widespread or not, if it is IR vs burn in, or if I will even have a use case where this issue would (a) show at all for me and (b) have it bother me. Still, I am now legitimately worried.

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Accurate colors, all for it. "blue tint," non-issue. Screen burn in though, would have me a bit worried.

Definitely still excited for my Panda, but will keep a close eye on it. Any burn in and the warranty department will definitely get used to seeing my number pop up.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So according to the ac article. This happened to some of the unit last year too. Pretty sure it's not every single unit. Just get a warranty replacement if this happens to you. Stop freaking out people.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's OLED. And basically LG's first generation mobile panels.

not surprised

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am a little concerned too now, but if there is an actual burn in issue Google/LG will most likely fix the issue and start mass producing new improved screens and perform warranty replacements so I'm not sure we should worry too much. thoughts?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's OLED. And basically LG's first generation mobile panels.

not surprised

True, and I for one, had realized this. I also understand that while the echo chamber is real (potential buyers need to be able to filer out internet and forum noise from actual issues), the totality of concerns now present for the first time has me concerned. :-/

Jeff Dietzel

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
You guys keep cancelling your orders so I can get my phone sooner. Thank you. Like others had said, if this is truly an issue then Google will take care of it.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
True, and I for one, had realized this. I also understand that while the echo chamber is real (potential buyers need to be able to filer out internet and forum noise from actual issues), the totality of concerns now present for the first time has me concerned. :-/

If this is a legitimate issue, Google will have to warranty replace them. It has literally been 72 hrs since official release. I'm not seeing the issue, however I keep my screen brightness around 30% or less, which may help with reducing burn in/image retention.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Users should not need to have to adjust their behavior / usage like this. I want to enjoy my phone on whatever app I like for however long I like.

This issue now has me actually worried for the first time about my 2 XL purchase. Unlike the previous display concerns, this one has hit home with me and I am actually debating cancelling my order and either waiting a while or going another direction (Note 8 maybe). Sigh..

I realize we do not know if this issue is widespread or not, if it is IR vs burn in, or if I will even have a use case where this issue would (a) show at all for me and (b) have it bother me. Still, I am now legitimately worried.

The Note 8 burns in and has image retention too.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
No different from the og XL. The nav bar was burnt into it. Completely imperceptible except when you refresh it and there is no nav bar...then you clearly see a triangle circle square burned into the bottom. Does not effect operations in any way since the only way you can see it is with a pure white image and no nav bar.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
And I have a pixel 2 XL, and I have no problems. See it goes both ways?

That's not the point though. Less than a week after releasing the kine and all the blue tint problems, and screen problems in general, you have to ask yourself: when is enough, enough.

Honest, I really really wanted this phone, but cannot afford to play screen lottery, especially when there's more value to be had elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No different from the og XL. The nav bar was burnt into it. Completely imperceptible except when you refresh it and there is no nav bar...then you clearly see a triangle circle square burned into the bottom. Does not effect operations in any way since the only way you can see it is with a pure white image and no nav bar.

Never saw that once on mine.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That's not the point though. Less than a week after releasing the kine and all the blue tint problems, and screen problems in general, you have to ask yourself: when is enough, enough.

Honest, I really really wanted this phone, but cannot afford to play screen lottery, especially when there's more value to be had elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

That is the point though. I have a XL 2 and it is perfectly fine. Most of these 'problems' are blown out of proportion. What kind of value are you getting elsewhere, when most flagships are all priced in the same bracket? If this turns out to be a legitimate issue, Google will take care of it, they have to, the phone is still under warranty. Until you actually have one in your hand, not a demo unit from a Verizon store, you just don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty