Oh, good! Now burn-in might be a problem?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking the LG panels MIGHT be a bit more susceptible to burn in than Samsung ones. It is after all like their first gen mass produced ones. Samsung had rampant problems in the first and second Galaxies. It became less by the S3 (my S3 is still clean).

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's not start another #gate

Not sure if this is something that we need to really worry about. Here's an article from 9to5google.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2017/10/17/google-pixel-2-oled-burn-in-protection/amp/

that's not the problem described here. The burn in people are experiencing with the 2 XL is not with the always on display.

Dang, enter "pixel 2 xl burn in" in a search...several people are experiencing this :(. I got a Pixel 2 mainly because I knew LG displays were not that great, but this is just plain bad.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking the LG panels MIGHT be a bit more susceptible to burn in than Samsung ones. It is after all like their first gen mass produced ones. Samsung had rampant problems in the first and second Galaxies. It became less by the S3 (my S3 is still clean).

My S7 Edge burnt in terribly from Android Auto.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. That is bad then. Well still not that worry. I'm sure I'll get a replacement from Google if this is an issue. They have great warranty policy. That's why I always buy it directly from them.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Let's not start another #gate

Not sure if this is something that we need to really worry about. Here's an article from 9to5google.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5goo...rotection/amp/

Definitely don't want anyone hyperventilating or ranting (R.I.P. li'l Screen Discussion thread).

Still, the 9to5 article focuses on actions taken to mitigate burn-in from the AOD clock, which is most likely already at an innocuous brightness level. The navbar and status bar could pose bigger problems given that they are nearly always present unless an app boots them out of the way.

It may be worth asking Google for a more aggressive immersive mode option in order to avoid the chance of burn-in at the top and bottom of the display.

In other words, don't flake out here. Vote with the Feedback buttons on your phone.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
IMO this is worth worrying about. A $850+ phone that you have to look out for burn in? No way, this isn't the plasma TV days of the early 2000s. If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.
Well, the burn-in in his picture isn't so bad that it would be noticeable unless you went looking for it. I imagine he spotted it when he was looking for something else, like grain or dead pixels.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
IMO this is worth worrying about. A $850+ phone that you have to look out for burn in? No way, this isn't the plasma TV days of the early 2000s. If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.
OLED TV's are susceptible to image retention, it's inherent to the technology. This example is probably image retention as well which isn't permanent like burn in. Google needs to do something about the nav bar. My daughters last gen Pixel would get this and it was in part because she kept the brightness on high.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Is this because people keep their screens on crazy high? I normally keep my brightness@ 30% or less, so I never really notice if I have burn in.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Note that the headline says might be a problem, so don't wig out.

AC's own Alex Dobie has tweeted a pic of a 2 XL with discernible navbar burn-in.

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/922060857659547648

Incidentally, anyone know if there's a better app available than GSD Full Screen Immersive Mode? It hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years.

That's what happens when you go with an LG panel. No excuse for the price you are paying for these devices. This looks like an early samsung (like 4 years ago) panel type issue

anon(8547461)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
That’s image retention. If he turns the device off for 2-5 minutes it will go away. Should be an easy software fix, just allow the bottom dock to disappear when screen stays static for a period of time.

Klortch

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for posting this, quelquehomme. I'm glad I saw it today. My gut was already telling me to cancel my order for now and wait a while until the dust settles about these screen issues. This gave me the push I needed and I just canceled my order for my two 128gb XLs that were scheduled to arrive on Friday. I bummed out because I was excited for the Pixel 2 XL. It was going to be my first flagship phone.

Last edited:

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting this, quelquehomme. I'm glad I saw it today. My gut was already telling me to cancel my order for now and wait a while until the dust settles about these screen issues. This gave me the push I needed and I just canceled my order for my two 128gb XLs that were scheduled to arrive on Friday. I bummed out because I was excited for the Pixel 2 XL. It was going to my first flagship phone.
I just cancelled my order too. I'll get a U11 until Google fixes the issue or the P3 comes out.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That’s image retention. If he turns the device off for 2-5 minutes it will go away. Should be an easy software fix, just allow the bottom dock to disappear when screen stays static for a period of time.

That's a workaround and does not fix the root cause. I'm assuming Alex Dobie's usage is normal, nothing cranked up to 100% brightness 24/7 or anything like that. Under normal usage, IR should not happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888