11-04-2017 06:22 PM
270 123 ...
tools
    Note that the headline says might be a problem, so don't wig out.

AC's own Alex Dobie has tweeted a pic of a 2 XL with discernible navbar burn-in.

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/922060857659547648

Incidentally, anyone know if there's a better app available than GSD Full Screen Immersive Mode? It hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years.
    10-22-2017 10:59 AM
    Another issue with the 2 XL? I'm looking into the regular Pixel 2 but now I worry about these first batch issues.
    10-22-2017 11:03 AM
    Let's not start another #gate

Not sure if this is something that we need to really worry about. Here's an article from 9to5google.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5goo...rotection/amp/
    fr4nk1yn likes this.
    10-22-2017 11:04 AM
    I'm thinking the LG panels MIGHT be a bit more susceptible to burn in than Samsung ones. It is after all like their first gen mass produced ones. Samsung had rampant problems in the first and second Galaxies. It became less by the S3 (my S3 is still clean).
    10-22-2017 11:06 AM
    That can't happen already to new for this uggg
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-22-2017 11:10 AM

Not sure if this is something that we need to really worry about. Here's an article from 9to5google.com

that's not the problem described here. The burn in people are experiencing with the 2 XL is not with the always on display.

Dang, enter "pixel 2 xl burn in" in a search...several people are experiencing this . I got a Pixel 2 mainly because I knew LG displays were not that great, but this is just plain bad.
    Premium1, Dan Barreda and fr4nk1yn like this.
    10-22-2017 11:11 AM
    I'm thinking the LG panels MIGHT be a bit more susceptible to burn in than Samsung ones. It is after all like their first gen mass produced ones. Samsung had rampant problems in the first and second Galaxies. It became less by the S3 (my S3 is still clean).
    My S7 Edge burnt in terribly from Android Auto.
    10-22-2017 11:13 AM
    I see. That is bad then. Well still not that worry. I'm sure I'll get a replacement from Google if this is an issue. They have great warranty policy. That's why I always buy it directly from them.
    aximtreo and AustinIllini like this.
    10-22-2017 11:13 AM

Definitely don't want anyone hyperventilating or ranting (R.I.P. li'l Screen Discussion thread).

Still, the 9to5 article focuses on actions taken to mitigate burn-in from the AOD clock, which is most likely already at an innocuous brightness level. The navbar and status bar could pose bigger problems given that they are nearly always present unless an app boots them out of the way.

It may be worth asking Google for a more aggressive immersive mode option in order to avoid the chance of burn-in at the top and bottom of the display.

In other words, don't flake out here. Vote with the Feedback buttons on your phone.
    10-22-2017 11:14 AM
    My S7 Edge burnt in terribly from Android Auto.
    Hmm. Well can't argue with that. I use my S7 Edge for Waze and I don't have screen burn. So far. But Waze is a moving image. Android Auto isn't released in my country so no idea.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-22-2017 11:19 AM
    IMO this is worth worrying about. A $850+ phone that you have to look out for burn in? No way, this isn't the plasma TV days of the early 2000s. If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-22-2017 11:19 AM
    If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.
    Well, the burn-in in his picture isn't so bad that it would be noticeable unless you went looking for it. I imagine he spotted it when he was looking for something else, like grain or dead pixels.
    10-22-2017 11:24 AM
    IMO this is worth worrying about. A $850+ phone that you have to look out for burn in? No way, this isn't the plasma TV days of the early 2000s. If AC's Alex Dobie got burn in after 7 days of normal use, I don't see replacing a phone every 7 days being a realistic option.
    OLED TV's are susceptible to image retention, it's inherent to the technology. This example is probably image retention as well which isn't permanent like burn in. Google needs to do something about the nav bar. My daughters last gen Pixel would get this and it was in part because she kept the brightness on high.
    10-22-2017 11:27 AM
    Is this because people keep their screens on crazy high? I normally keep my brightness@ 30% or less, so I never really notice if I have burn in.
    Chex313 and AnnDroid like this.
    10-22-2017 11:33 AM
    OLED TV's are susceptible to image retention, it's inherent to the technology. This example is probably image retention as well which isn't permanent like burn in.
    Good point!
    10-22-2017 11:33 AM
    Note that the headline says might be a problem, so don't wig out.

AC's own Alex Dobie has tweeted a pic of a 2 XL with discernible navbar burn-in.

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/922060857659547648

Incidentally, anyone know if there's a better app available than GSD Full Screen Immersive Mode? It hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years.
    That's what happens when you go with an LG panel. No excuse for the price you are paying for these devices. This looks like an early samsung (like 4 years ago) panel type issue
    10-22-2017 12:33 PM
    That’s image retention. If he turns the device off for 2-5 minutes it will go away. Should be an easy software fix, just allow the bottom dock to disappear when screen stays static for a period of time.
    Jeff Dietzel and AnnDroid like this.
    10-22-2017 12:46 PM
    Thank you for posting this, quelquehomme. I'm glad I saw it today. My gut was already telling me to cancel my order for now and wait a while until the dust settles about these screen issues. This gave me the push I needed and I just canceled my order for my two 128gb XLs that were scheduled to arrive on Friday. I bummed out because I was excited for the Pixel 2 XL. It was going to be my first flagship phone.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-22-2017 12:47 PM
    Thank you for posting this, quelquehomme. I'm glad I saw it today. My gut was already telling me to cancel my order for now and wait a while until the dust settles about these screen issues. This gave me the push I needed and I just canceled my order for my two 128gb XLs that were scheduled to arrive on Friday. I bummed out because I was excited for the Pixel 2 XL. It was going to my first flagship phone.
    I just cancelled my order too. I'll get a U11 until Google fixes the issue or the P3 comes out.
    10-22-2017 12:48 PM
    That’s image retention. If he turns the device off for 2-5 minutes it will go away. Should be an easy software fix, just allow the bottom dock to disappear when screen stays static for a period of time.
    That's a workaround and does not fix the root cause. I'm assuming Alex Dobie's usage is normal, nothing cranked up to 100% brightness 24/7 or anything like that. Under normal usage, IR should not happen.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    10-22-2017 12:50 PM
    That's a workaround and does not fix the root cause. I'm assuming Alex Dobie's usage is normal, nothing cranked up to 100% brightness 24/7 or anything like that. Under normal usage, IR should not happen.
    Hard to tell. The only thing that makes me think he’s got the brightness boosted is the background since the white in that image is completely blown out.
    10-22-2017 01:16 PM
    Don't stuck with the same screen for long time. Try to switch to other app that will hide navbar ( full screen YouTube video or Google photo)

This is why I like LG software because it allowed you to hide navbar in any app.
    10-22-2017 01:22 PM
    Don't stuck with the same screen for long time. Try to switch to other app that will hide navbar ( full screen YouTube video or Google photo)

This is why I like LG software because it allowed you to hide navbar in any app.
    Users should not need to have to adjust their behavior / usage like this. I want to enjoy my phone on whatever app I like for however long I like.

This issue now has me actually worried for the first time about my 2 XL purchase. Unlike the previous display concerns, this one has hit home with me and I am actually debating cancelling my order and either waiting a while or going another direction (Note 8 maybe). Sigh..

I realize we do not know if this issue is widespread or not, if it is IR vs burn in, or if I will even have a use case where this issue would (a) show at all for me and (b) have it bother me. Still, I am now legitimately worried.
    DMP89145 and jephanie like this.
    10-22-2017 01:41 PM
    Accurate colors, all for it. "blue tint," non-issue. Screen burn in though, would have me a bit worried.

Definitely still excited for my Panda, but will keep a close eye on it. Any burn in and the warranty department will definitely get used to seeing my number pop up.
    radgatt likes this.
    10-22-2017 01:43 PM
    So according to the ac article. This happened to some of the unit last year too. Pretty sure it's not every single unit. Just get a warranty replacement if this happens to you. Stop freaking out people.
    ffejjj and kenorian like this.
    10-22-2017 01:44 PM
270 123 ...