Subaru & Pixel 2 Bluetooth Issue

nitro2k1

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Seems there is an issue using the Pixels(both 1&2 and XL) with various Subaru models. Someone posted this video which is the exact same problem I'm having:

https://youtu.be/weeavWpeb1w

Music streaming works fine but phone calls are garbled and pretty much can't be used through bluetooth. All my other phones have worked fine(many iPhones and Galaxys)

Others reporting it here:

https://productforums.google.com/fo...xt-place=topicsearchin/phone-by-google/subaru

Just thought I'd post in case another Subaru owner is looking to purchase the Pixel as this is a deal breaker for me. Doubt its a specific issue with my Pixel but appreciate hearing if anyone else with a Subaru is able to stream phone calls through bluetooth without issue.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Most likely a Oreo issue its a new platform just give the manufacturers of the cars a little bit of time to catch up

rodman99mn

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
This is exactly what happens to me with my Pixel 2 XL. Have a 2013 Subaru Impreza (also did it on 2012 Legacy). I was going to switch to a Pixel 2. So it's not going to work any better?

Sadly. This is a deal breaker for me.

nitro2k1

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Its been an issue since the original Pixel. If they didn't fix it a year later in the Pixel 2, seems unlikely they ever will.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If two different devices, with different software and hardware, are having the same problem with the same vehicle, logic would dictate the problem is with the vehicle.

nitro2k1

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I've used the iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8, iPad 4, Galaxy S6, S7, Note 4 and the Note 8 all in my 2013 Outback just fine. If 8 devices work in the same car, logic would also dictate that the devices also play a part in the compatibility. Or maybe Apple and Samsung have cornered the market on unicorn juice.

rodman99mn

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
DawinPanda, are you basically saying that I need to add a newer aftermarket stereo? Or adding a bluetooth transmitter? I will check out the dealer to see if there are firmware updates.

FWIW, I agree about the need to shift into troubleshooting mode. I really like my Pixel. That said, also think it's fare that if people have used multiple other devices without a hitch, you'd think it something wrong with the Pixels. There are posts on Google forums that lists many, many different vehicles that people have issues with.

To me it's like saying a phone has trouble with connecting with Wi-Fi. One could say, hey maybe it's your Wi-Fi. I'd counter and say my phone has to sync with all kinds of Wi-Fi. It's a pretty basic function. The phone manufacturers better make a product that works with all kinds of systems.

nitro2k1

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Take the unicorn juice from a Pixel 2 or 2 XL and try it on a friends car with bluetooth. I'm willing to bet it works. Try different models of cars too. Just not on a Tesla.

Lol...bro, I'm not a mechanic but I know how to troubleshoot an issue. You just blurted out a bunch of different cell phones instead of troubleshooting. You don't have to be a sound system tech to troubleshoot.

The intent of my post wasn't looking for troubleshooting tips to resolve this issue. I already did that and posted the results so other Subaru owners could be informed before making their purchasing decision.

nitro2k1

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Take the unicorn juice from a Pixel 2 or 2 XL and try it on a friends car with bluetooth. I'm willing to bet it works. Try different models of cars too. Just not on a Tesla.

Lol...bro, I'm not a mechanic but I know how to troubleshoot an issue. You just blurted out a bunch of different cell phones instead of troubleshooting. You don't have to be a sound system tech to troubleshoot.

The intent of my post wasn't looking for troubleshooting tips to resolve this issue. I already did that and posted the results so other Subaru owners could be informed before making their purchasing decision.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No issues with my Pixel 2 XL bluetooth when connecting to my 2015 STi. Calls are clear and music sounds decent on stock head unit.

Leonus

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
I had the exact same issue as the one mentioned with my Pixel 2 on a Subaru Outback 2012. Google Tech support claimed that they had never received a complaint about this issue. I brought up the chat and youtube video, but they held firm that this was a previously unreported issue.

abroadst

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I have a Pixel 2 (Kinda Blue) and a 2015 Subaru Forester. iPhone 6 worked fine, and as the OP reports, all media playback works fine.

I found that covering the top of the phone with my hand "fixed" it! How weird is that? The garbled audio cleared right up. I can also get a similar effect by putting the phone behind my back or in the center console/armrest box.

Ideas that come to mind, although I have no good theory to share yet:
1. Maybe it has something to do with echo cancellation. Echo cancellation should prevent me from hearing back the audio that my microphone sends - and maybe this mechanism is over-active here and is cancelling out too much. Maybe my hand/body are acting as a shield to the microphone, just enough to prevent the over-active echo cancellation mechanism from cutting out the audio. Crazy idea? It didn't occur to me to play with the volume level or microphone sensitivity - maybe this could make a difference - will try later. But shouldn't the device mic be disabled when using BT? Maybe this doesn't make sense after all.

2. Something to do with the radio. Maybe my hand/body is shielding the radio signal a little bit. But why wouldn't this apply to the media playback function? And it isn't an analog connection anyway. This one seems less likely to me.

I kind of hate both of those theories. Any other ideas?

Google tier 1 support wasn't very helpful - just gave me the instructions for resetting the Bluetooth connection - which I'd already tried of course. Maybe I can get a tier 2 engineer - we'll see.

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Google Pixel 2 phone (ditching my iPhone), but this thread gives me pause. I'm driving a 2017 Forester, and if I can't use the Pixel with the Bluetooth connection, in that vehicle, that would be a deal breaker for me as well.

Zaf9670

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Someone I work with also has a Subaru Forester (2013 I believe?) and the same issues with his Pixel 2 and head unit combination.

He found a solution accidentally! While receiving a call and reaching into his backseat he realized the static was gone. I suspect either the radio/phone antenna are experiencing close proximity interference.

He has been placing the phone in the door compartment or the backseat and the interference has not been an issue. Just thought I would share for those who stumble upon this thread as an attempted solution.

It's not helpful if you use your phone for GPS on your dash but it makes phone calls tolerable for the person I know.

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Update: I've had the Google pixel 2 for a week now and couldn't be happier. No Bluetooth issues with my Subaru whatsoever. If anything, phone calls sound clearer than with my iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZCY