Aarrggh... Microphone Dead Less Than 24 Hours In

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Was very excited to get my Pixel 2XL last night. Cancelled some plans and spent around six hours setting it up and configuring it.

This morning... dead main microphone. Speakerphone mike works, but the main mic is dead.

Spent one hour and ten minutes holding on the phone for Google. During this time I was able to find dozens of other people with the same issue, and an acknowledgment from Google there there is a hardware issue.

They are going to get back to me re a replacement. But, six hours last night plus an hour today - seven hours of my life that I won't get back. And, a $45 Zagg glass screen protector (which, BTW, was very nice). that I told them I want some kind of compensation for. We'll see.

I know that there are once offs, but the screen issues (which I obviously didn't see in less than 24 hours), mic/audio issues.... not an auspicious start.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I would ask to be comped for the screen protector off the price or gift certificate.
Possibly Zagg will replace anyways

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
194 apps, 34 that needed to be logged in to, Touchdown and Agent for work which took a half hour itself, transferring music, pictures, ringtones and videos, bluetooth pairing for seven devices, configuring widgets that don't transfer, configuring helper apps for Nova, setting up custom notification sounds for a dozen apps.

Yeah, it takes a while.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
194 apps, 34 that needed to be logged in to, Touchdown and Agent for work which took a half hour itself, transferring music, pictures, ringtones and videos, bluetooth pairing for seven devices, configuring widgets that don't transfer, configuring helper apps for Nova, setting up custom notification sounds for a dozen apps.

Yeah, it takes a while.

No need to explain yourself. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Was very excited to get my Pixel 2XL last night. Cancelled some plans and spent around six hours setting it up and configuring it.

This morning... dead main microphone. Speakerphone mike works, but the main mic is dead.

Spent one hour and ten minutes holding on the phone for Google. During this time I was able to find dozens of other people with the same issue, and an acknowledgment from Google there there is a hardware issue.

They are going to get back to me re a replacement. But, six hours last night plus an hour today - seven hours of my life that I won't get back. And, a $45 Zagg glass screen protector (which, BTW, was very nice). that I told them I want some kind of compensation for. We'll see.

I know that there are once offs, but the screen issues (which I obviously didn't see in less than 24 hours), mic/audio issues.... not an auspicious start.

Could you link to where Google says there's a mic problem?

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
zagg will replace if you have a local zagg they will do it for 10 or you can call zagg and they will mail you one you just pay shipping still better then paying full price and least once you get your knew phone it will be auto setup

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
So my phone is connected to my watch via Bluetooth by default for some reason sound always goes to my watch, so if I pick my phone up and make a call the mic is dead, unless I tap to switch it to phone under the choice in the call, the other choice would be speaker which also works
Edit update.
I'm testing this my mic died I had to restart the phone to get it to work again I turned off Bluetooth and the phone would answer in normal mode I turn bluetooth back on and it still continues to answer normally so not sure what's up Mic is working again
Edit again
Definite issue here phone failed again for speaker or phone not sure what's going on

Last edited:

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The person who purchased it obviously sees a perceived value. It's OK if you don't want to spend that much. I wouldn't either but it really is OK. ZAGG makes great products and stands behind them.

I'm evidently not alone, cause they are now sold out. The film protectors I can't stand, the wet apply ones are OK, haven't found another glass one that is curved but doesn't have dot matrix. Hey... After spending a grand on a phone, $45 to keep it protected while looking nice isnt much. We've probably all had cocktails that cost over $10 each, and had more than one.

When I sell my phones on Swappa each year, they are truly in mint condition.